Welcome to RadioSEGA, if you are not a member register today!

RadioSEGA
  • News & Features
  • Playlist & Requests
  • Listen to RadioSEGA
  • Shows & Podcasts
  • RadioSEGA Media
  • Community
View RSS Feed

Reknoc

That whole Capcom DLC thang.

Rate this Entry
DLC!

DLC is a word that has a rather negative connotation. Not entirely undeserved thanks to stuff like Bethesda's Horse Armour and EA's cheat selling. But DLC can be a fantastic way to extend the life of a game, especially one that is played competitively, like oh I dunno... Street Fighter x Tekken.

So, SFxT. This has been attacked by the gaming press and gamers a like due to the fact all of the contents of the DLC have been found existing on the disc. So do Capcom deserve the bad rep they're getting for it? Yes, but no, but yes... maybe no? Certainly yes, with a hint of no. So here's my thoughts on it.

First of all, why this is bullshit. Some of this DLC is literally just holding back features that have been heavily advertised, like Mega Man and Pac-Man, and the colours for colour edit mode. There was no reason to hold this stuff back, it was on the disc, there was no reason to hold this back and it just made it all a bit bad.

So the big thing, costumes and characters aka the stuff we're paying for. So why is this a bad thing? Because we paid for the game, so why can't we have things that are fully working on the disc? Because Capcom said so, but hey, at least pirates with hacked xboxs can play around with them! Score one for legit consumers yet again. Can't wait to pay for these characters that are in fully working order in a few weeks!

What? Oh, no in fact it's not a few weeks, Capcom have decided that we should all wait for the Vita release before they let us use these characters. Well isn't that just grand.

So I've already made a case for why it's bad, but why is it good? Well in this instance, how Capcom handled it, it's not. There is however method somewhere in Capcom's madness.

So let me tell you of a word; Segregation. Separating an online community is one of the worst things you can do with a game, just because they don't want to pay for those extras, maybe they don't appeal to them? I remember playing Call of Duty World at War (fuck off) and nothing pissed me off more than waiting around in a lobby only to get kicked out because the game decided it now wanted to use a map pack level. Not to mention it makes crap like matchmaking take longer.

So how do we avoid this? One way is to have compatibility packs. Now the thing is, Mortal Kombat 9 did exactly that. It didn't work, people didn't bother with the either, and it was a massive disaster. Plus there seems to be some... thing that maybe Sony or Microsoft doesn't like. After all Street Fighter IV had this problem to a lesser extent. If you played someone with a costume you haven't bought you won't be able to see it. However the 360 version had compatibility packs, the PS3 version did not.

How about patching? No way, there's no doubt some rules written down by MS or Sony saying this is a no go, not to mention that is a lot of data that'd need to be passed though as a patch. I mean, some PS3 patches are already way too fucking big.

So here we are at the content on the disc, this means you can still play against other people own the DLC without buying it yourself, and if you do decide you want it you don't have to worry about large file sizes to download and then clogging up your harddrive.

So the thing is, what Capcom did was bad, it's already finished, it should be already available. However, I think that this is a great way to use DLC in the future with a little work, make sure there's the hooks there to make patching it in later to be quick and painless, but don't have the finished product in there, make it try to look like you're still working on it at least.

Anyway that's my take, it's something that needs work, but could be a great way to improve DLC on consoles in the future.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Interesting, but I think the problem many people have with the SF x T issue is "If it's on the disc then why does it need to be released as DLC in the first place? Can't we just have the complete game from the start?" You note, and complain about this issue yourself when commenting about the Megaman and Pac-Man pack and the colour pallets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaito-kun
    Interesting, but I think the problem many people have with the SF x T issue is "If it's on the disc then why does it need to be released as DLC in the first place? Can't we just have the complete game from the start?" You note, and complain about this issue yourself when commenting about the Megaman and Pac-Man pack and the colour pallets.
    Yes, and that's where I think Capcom went wrong. I'm saying having unfinished content, which'll work as a hook for later patching, is a good idea.
    In that case I agree.
    So it's being released too early when it's on disc - that's basically the problem? It's effectively making the disc become a sort of starter pack for the full game instead of the DLC extending the content on that disc?

I don't think that's necessarily bad if the game was going to contain more than your average amount of stuff that you would get on a normal disc. I dunno if that's the case or not with Tekken v Capcom as I haven't played it though.
RadioSEGA is a fan site and is not owned or endorsed by SEGA Corporation.
All music tracks played on this station are © SEGA and/or respective artist(s).
The SEGA logo and all associated characters are © & ™ of SEGA Corporation.

RadioSEGA is © 2009 Mark Kidley and © 2011-2013 Simon Shirley - oh, and probably Gavin Storey too!
Contact Us
About RadioSEGA
Help & Support
Staff Login