The 'Today' Thread

What it says on the tin...
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

do some translations of comic books from japanese to english when you pass the course - or just start by translating the instruction books for game that are only out in japan, that would be so useful to people that import. Before you know it you could get a good job in that field.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote:do some translations of comic books from japanese to english when you pass the course - or just start by translating the instruction books for game that are only out in japan, that would be so useful to people that import. Before you know it you could get a good job in that field.
Yeah, they'd be good ways to practise as well. I would be able to check out news articles as well, which could help around here...
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

could always study in japan too, that would be fun. in uk universities you can usually study for at least one year abroad as part of a normal degree. someone in my block of flats last year was going to do it but the uni he applied for got tsunamied so he had to stay here which was pretty gutting.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote:could always study in japan too, that would be fun. in uk universities you can usually study for at least one year abroad as part of a normal degree. someone in my block of flats last year was going to do it but the uni he applied for got tsunamied so he had to stay here which was pretty gutting.
That would be gutting. I'd love to stay in Japan for a while, but I'm only looking at an evening class at the moment, not a full fancy degree course. I doubt they'd let me near one of those...
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

well if they run the degrees someone has to go on them, may as well be you. I knew 2 people that did spanish degrees last year who didn't have an a-level or even a gcse in it so it can happen. They did struggle on the course at first admittedly, but getting in was very much possible. if you have an otherwise good education and good references they might take a shot with you. see how you feel after the evening classes. I'd aim to get into a degree in the medium term if i was you, sounds like something you would easily cope with if you surround yourself with the language for a while

check this out, you can get into soas (very good uni for this kind of thing) with no previous experience of japanese: http://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/bajap/

edit again - also as you would be a mature student it says you are almost guaranteed an interview.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote:see how you feel after the evening classes. I'd aim to get into a degree in the medium term if i was you, sounds like something you would easily cope with if you surround yourself with the language for a while
That sounds like a very good plan actually. Thank you.
Killer French Bread wrote:check this out, you can get into soas (very good uni for this kind of thing) with no previous experience of japanese: http://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/bajap/

edit again - also as you would be a mature student it says you are almost guaranteed an interview.
Also interesting, but unless they have some kind of OU style distance learning features I'd have to relocate daa'n saa'th.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

It's what I did! ha, you get used to the accent after a while.

I'm just generally trying to show you that there are loads of opportunities for you though, whatever you might decide to do in the end, and I'm sure there's loads of other unis and courses to choose from or other different options if you look. And you are easily smart enough to do pretty much what you want at uni , trust me the standard is not that intimidating. I was in basically the same situation as you when I was 20 - working full time in a job I could comfortably do but got no satisfaction from and it wasn't going to make me rich (working in a paper cutting factory). I kept thinking i was too old and my chances had gone or I wouldn't be good enough to cut it if I went back to studying as I was kicked out of school when I was 16. Wish I'd have taken the chance to start something I liked earlier.
Tic Tac, sir?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I started work study for my college again today. My supervisor is now convincing me to work not just for the college, but also the company itself. Gave me time to think about it.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

I returned to college after my month long holiday break from it. It was ok. But now I need to get into work study but having a bit of confusion on that front.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Atrias
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Atrias »

Been back at college for only a few weeks myself mtwinny, finding it hard to stop procrastinating and actually get on with my work too... I feel your pain!
Faster than the speed of sound, sneaker wearing, chilli dog eating hedgehog with a penchant for industrial scale vandalism, animal activism and jewellery theft. Seems legit.