Mini-Movie Reviews

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Tucker and Dale Vs Evil

Watched this last night. Was ok I suppose. The premise is basically there are a couple of well meaning nice hillbillies that get mistaken for The Hills have eyes style maniacs by a bunch of college kids and "hilarity" ensues. Was entertaining enough but it pretty much just has the one joke and trys to use it to sustain the whole movie. The problem is the joke isn't that funny to begin with so it starts to lose steam towards the end.

6/10
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Saw two films yesterday.

Got early screening tickets for The Lady in Black starring Daniel Radcliffe. This movie was just.....UGH. This movie was so predictable and had every cliche in horror movie history. I knew where the so called ""scary"" moments were going to happen, funny thing is i found the movie more funny than ""scary"".

It felt like i was on a "haunted house" ride at a local crappy fair with cheap scares and funny props than watching a movie. The story was very simple and quite boring. Good thing's about the movie? Uhhh.... Daniel's acting was decent, and the movie looked nice....
Thats it.....
2/5

After the The Lady in Black i snuck in to see The Iron Lady starring Meryl Streep. I been wanting to watch this movie despite hearing some negative things about it but in the end i liked it. Course it's not the best Bio-film out there but its not the worst. The film looked too much at Thatcher as the woman that defeated the odds, it would have been interesting to see the more pressure and the negatives things while she was in office besides the positives.

Two scenes bothered me though, during the movie it would jump to present day to see Thatcher kinda losing her mind talking to an hallucination of her dead husband which i didn't mind until the end where it just crossed the line to pure silliness.

Second was when she was becoming Prime Minister, this scene went by quick. This should have been the most important event in the movie why would you just quickly get it over with and move on after building it up alot in the first half of the movie?

Anyway the rest of the movie is your typical bio-flick. Nothing special stands out except one thing. Meryl Streep performance. (Not surprising) Like or hate the movie, everyone agrees she did a wonderful job. Another good thing that my friend pointed out is the make up. Whoever did the makeup deserves some praise.
3/5
Shockerbey
level 11
level 11

Post by Shockerbey »

Gavvie wrote:Honestly, give X-Men: First Class a try. It's like a prequel, only I don't think it's meant to tie into the original films. The casting's pretty good as well, can't think of anybody that was too much of an annoyance.
finally got round to watchin it on blu ray, magneto does rlly turn irish at the end of the film with his final speech
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Drive

Just watched this tonight. I thought it was a pretty brilliant movie. It's basically abourt a wheelman that gets set up on a job and everything goes a bit pete tong. Everyone plays there parts well (Ryan gosling inparticular) the cinematography's good and the sondtrack is feckin awesome. The violence is pretty brutal and visceral too.

8/10
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

SHORTS! Watched all the live action and animated shorts that have been nominated for an Oscar at UM today.

---------------LIVE ACTION----------------
[youtube]Hobilcdk0Rc[/youtube]
Pentecost
Nice little story about a boy named Damian who very passionate about football(soccer) is called in by the local parish in the last minute to be an altar boy. If he does not live up to his fathers expectations he will be "grounded" from anything related to football.
Thought this short was great, i enjoyed it alot. Thought the story was nice and sweet, and it looked great. Had a nice little gimmick where they made the church seem like it was a football(soccer) game.
3/5

[youtube]jp3bRajG0fo[/youtube]
Raju
Raju was alright. About a german couple who adopted an Indian boy then loses the boy in the market. They find him but while searching for him the husband finds out the orphanage where he got the boy actually kidnapped him and the other orphans from their actual parents to "give them a better life".
Again this short was alright, nothing great about it. Looked nice and the acting was pretty good.
3/5

[youtube]Li2_932lDys[/youtube]
The Shore
Simple story of two childhood friends separated for years due to some troubling times end up meeting again. Very sweet short, it started off slow but picked itself up by the middle. Actors were good and it looks great.
4/5

[youtube]-_DLkVR7hK0[/youtube]
Time Freak
Funny short about a guy who invented a time machine and spent a year in a half just time traveling to the previous day to make a few events better than it was before. Very funny short with a good ending. Acting was meh and it looked alright.
3/5

Tuba Atlantic
70 year old Oskar only has 6 days to lives, he spends those six days trying to put things right with his brother. Im not going to say anything else about this short except it's a must watch. Hope it wins.
5/5

Ill post my thoughts on the animated shorts some other time.
RW26 BLAZE
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RW26 BLAZE »

Stars wars in 3D... Enjoyed watchin it But it just doesn't feel 3D.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Watched a couple of new films that are on Sky this week.

Super

Was alot sadder than I was expecting. The main guy in it is quite a troubled person really. He's blatantly batshit but I really felt for him. Especially by the end. And it's probably the first film where Ellen Page didn't completely get on my tits.

8/10

Fast five

This sums it up for me really.

[youtube]iIY5b1JMvGs[/youtube]
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

While I have no idea about Fast and Furious... you're telling me that that 5 year old creates most of the story for the movie?

EDIT: Oh wait... I just started understanding...