Anime & Manga Discussion

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I'd love to know which ones are rude (though a name does spring to mind).
Lizzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lizzy »

I cant tell ya that, least not publicly XD
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Well, alright then. Though I don't think they check this forum. At least... I hope not, otherwise JYB may have a hit out on me.

Either way the industry can't die, it does need to change though. It's not going to mind, not so long as Japanese companies can get away with selling overpriced single episode blu-rays and continue to not give a shit about anything outside of their own country.
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Crow »

Anime and manga discussion, huh?

I don't watch much anime or read any manga, but I have in the past. Back when Cheez TV was on, I used to watch Pokemon a lot. I've watched a lot of kid's anime series, but most of them are just boring.

SBS aired Death Note and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, both of which I really enjoyed. I have the first two parts of Death Note on DVD and I'm trying to get the other seven. The only place that sells them is GameTraders in Mt. Barker, which sucks. I wish they sold them here.

When I say I don't watch much anime, it's because I'm too busy playing video games. That and it's hard to find anime here (see above.) I've watched Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt on YouTube, but nothing beats watching a DVD.

As for manga, well... Not a lot. I read the Inuyasha ani-manga which I borrowed from the library, plus a hilarious yaoi manga. I also had two volumes of some weird sci-fi manga that a friend of mine obsessed over. And a few years ago, I read the Fullmetal Alchemist manga online.
Lizzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lizzy »

Reknoc wrote:Well, alright then. Though I don't think they check this forum. At least... I hope not, otherwise JYB may have a hit out on me.

Either way the industry can't die, it does need to change though. It's not going to mind, not so long as Japanese companies can get away with selling overpriced single episode blu-rays and continue to not give a shit about anything outside of their own country.
Ya know ur right I bet you are too. Buuuuut at these conventions some of these voice actors who go to Japan say it is dying there in Japan too. Many animation studios have closed, some are soooo bad that animators wear blankets and are in cramped areas, and as for over priced, thats why fans wont buy them and download them.

But what I dont like is North American VAs saying,Save the industry, stop downloading & stop fan subbing/ fan dubbing. When in reality it's, "Save this industry so I cant keep this job and not have to get a real job"
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

mtwinny wrote:He's just playing with him, you know? Or are you Kaito? :)
Perhaps I'm playing, perhaps I'm not.
Reknoc wrote:Kaito just likes people to support the industry, not that'll do much good.
*Nod* It's doomed, but I can at least try.
MTails wrote:Aye Aye, Admiral Akainu. :D
Haha! Colour me amused..
Lizzy wrote: But I understand supporting the industry, but do you want the truth?
Uh-oh...No good has ever come out of that phrase.
Lizzy wrote:I who attend these anime conventions
I'm so sorry.
Lizzy wrote:trust me this industry needs to die & go back underground till these voice actors.etc get off their high horses and stop acting so full of themselves, and acting like an "Invisible" elite groups that can do as they please and make fans feel like low class garbage.

Uhhhh...But we anime fans aren't exactly the social and cultural elite. Are we now?
Lizzy wrote:Plus too many want to be a voice actor in vain so they can look down at everyone, butt kiss the industry for work and insult the fans
Anime fans want to work in the industry so they can look down on fellow anime fans? Sorry, I'm not seeing the logic there.
Lizzy wrote:I support the anime industry but truth be told it needs to just die off and go underground for a while. Harsh but has to be said.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Underground". Would you rather have random people on the internet dubbing your series and distributing anime via their own means, giving nothing to the original content creators? Or perhaps you prefer to return to the idea of 10 blokes renting the back room of a pub once a month and crowning around a tiny telly while watching an imported Japanese copy of "Schoolgirl Milky Crisis"?
Lizzy wrote: But what I dont like is North American VAs saying,Save the industry, stop downloading & stop fan subbing/ fan dubbing. When in reality it's, "Save this industry so I cant keep this job and not have to get a real job"
You seem to have an awful beef with actors. Did one leave you broken hearted on a windswept moor? Did you ever consider that it might be "Save this industry so that you can keep enjoying the franchises you enjoy and keep the jobs of the Japanese production staff (animators, directors, sound editors, voice actors, script writers, marketing, studio admin, distribution, etc) the dub production staff (Voice actors, directors, translators, editors, marketing, distribution), the people who run the cons and the people who work in associated media (anime magazines, anime news websites, etc)." It's not just about the actors.
Reknoc wrote:Also I'm not sure about the VA comments. They do their job, they get paid peanuts with crap conditions, then they have to pretend to enjoy being in the cesspits that are anime cons. Doesn't sound like a very fun job to me.
Indeed, however, you forgot about a lot of fans despising the work you do just because you're speaking in English and not Japanese. "NOOOOOO!!!!111!! Nihongo is much more sugoi desu!!!! English is soooooooooooooooooooo bakaaaaaaaaaa!!!!"
Lizzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lizzy »

nawww I just point out to the fans whats on the inside I seen. It's not about, "I love this anime ^-^" sadly it's about fame,attention,popularity ya know vain stuff. LOL I mean all means support the industry, but I kinda go, "ughh" now that I seen the inside I see it, help the industry so this jerk can keep his job and look down at me as a [Negative way] fan and that they are above? No thanks. Hope that makes sense :D So Kaito knock it off ok :D You don't live here in North America with me so you don't fully understand. ^-^

Not trying to be mean here but are you trying to make me look stupid by answering every quote just because your a mod? Please knock it off, mod or not. Please dont try to make me look dumb. I'd appreciate that :D
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Lizzy wrote:nawww I just point out to the fans whats on the inside I seen.
The inside of what? You work in the industry?
Lizzy wrote:It's not about, "I love this anime ^-^" sadly it's about fame,attention,popularity ya know vain stuff.
Says who?
Lizzy wrote:You don't live here in North America with me so you don't fully understand. ^-^
No? You think the U.K. industry is that different? We get the same American dub and edits as you. The only differences between the U.K and U.S when it comes to anime is the names of the distributors and the fact that you lot get a lot more choice and releases sooner because you have a bigger market and because you create the dubbed version. If I was French then I could see your argument, however, the UK and US sections of the industry are pretty darn similar.
Lizzy wrote: Not trying to be mean here but are you trying to make me look stupid by answering every quote just because your a mod?
Nope, I'm just picking apart your argument and presenting a counterpoint. I'd do the same if I wasn't a mod.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Lizzy wrote:Ya know ur right I bet you are too. Buuuuut at these conventions some of these voice actors who go to Japan say it is dying there in Japan too. Many animation studios have closed, some are soooo bad that animators wear blankets and are in cramped areas, and as for over priced, thats why fans wont buy them and download them.
It's not dying in Japan though, which is part of the problem.
Lizzy wrote:But what I dont like is North American VAs saying,Save the industry, stop downloading & stop fan subbing/ fan dubbing. When in reality it's, "Save this industry so I cant keep this job and not have to get a real job"
Uh, I don't see a problem with that? I don't think those things are mutually exclusive.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Soo i had a bang at the door this morning

Postman had turned up with MGX, 8 days after dispatch & its here in my hands, all the way from japan, Royal Fail, Hong Kong Post, prehaps both of you should take a few tips off japans postal service