Anime & Manga Discussion

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Manga of the Week

Vento Aureo (Golden Wind)

Author/Artist: Araki Hirohiko
Updates: N/A
Licensed: No (never will be)

It's 2001 and Koichi Hirose has arrived in Naples in a hunt for a very specific man. This person is a middle-school student, Giorno Giovana, the son of Dio Brando and an unknown Japanese woman. The story follows Giorno as he seeks to rid his town of its drug infestation and gain the power that he needs to do this. He joins Passione, an organised crime group with connections networking an array of stand-users and high-ranking officials. Befriending the passionate Buccelati he makes his first step into the mafia world and the scramble that may take him to the top.
Part 5 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is probably my most favourite part, largely due to it's italian gangster setting. There is sadly one big flaw with this part; Araki writes a character out and it's obvious why. When the character has his fight it's immediately obvious that his stand is way overpowered, afterwards you're left wondering how Araki will manage to make his fights interesting. Then oh no! The gang members are given a choice to part ways and surprise surprise the only one who takes them up on the offer is the overpowered stand guy.

Still, even with that I love it, and there's a turtle in it.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Kaito-kun wrote:Already seen episode 1. Loved it.
As expected.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I've been feeling nostalgic recently so for a month or two now I've abandoned whatever else I was watching and have just gone straight back to Digimon haha.

Watching Digimon Adventure 01. Nearing the end of the show.
Also started playing Digimon masters (which has nothing to do with this thread but oh well. :P )
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Finally got around to watching High School of the Dead and I did enjoy it, the story while it started off great did seem to slack towards the end, and i didn't like how it ended, but hey, i guess it's leaving it a cliff hanger, especially since theres a season 2 coming out soon I believe?
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

I don't remember a season 2 being announced.

Also what happened to Rek's MotW?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Dr Shaneman wrote:I don't remember a season 2 being announced.

Also what happened to Rek's MotW?
i'm on a spirtual journey to find more manga to use. also ignore that i've still got 3 parts of jojo left
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Reknoc wrote:also ignore that i've still got 3 parts of jojo left
No. Jojo. Now.

The big buzz for this season seems to be Kill La Kill. Anyone seen any of it? Thoughts? I caught the first two episodes. I'm still not sure what to think of it.

And yes, Rekky. I know Magi is out in the UK now, but I'm low on funds at the moment.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Kaito-kun wrote:No. Jojo. Now.
fine gosh

Manga of the Week

Stone Ocean

Set near Port St. Lucie, Florida, the story follows Jolyne Kujo after her incarceration in Green Dolphin Street Prison. Her father Jotaro soon comes to visit and informs her that a Stand user named Jongalli A, a disciple of Dio's, framed her so that he could kill her in prison, and urges escape. Jolyne's anger at her father, who has been absent for most of her life, is interrupted by a double attack by Jongalli A's Stand, Manhattan Transfer, and another mysterious Stand named White Snake. Fearing for the safety of her father, Jolyne gathers information and friends as she manages her own survival in the prison turned mad-house.
Part 6 of JoJo is how Prison Break should have been. It has one of my favourite stands ever (bohemian rhapsody)

Kaito-kun wrote:The big buzz for this season seems to be Kill La Kill. Anyone seen any of it? Thoughts? I caught the first two episodes. I'm still not sure what to think of it.
Yea, its the only anime I'm watching this season other than Gundam Build Fighters. Its the same crazy awesome as Gurren Lagann (no surprising since its most of the talent that made it). Episode 3 was crazy hype, though if you can't stomach the fanservice I can see it being off putting (it's so crazy and over the top that I'm okay with it)
Kaito-kun wrote:And yes, Rekky. I know Magi is out in the UK now, but I'm low on funds at the moment.
sell an organ.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Reknoc wrote:fine gosh

Manga of the Week

Stone Ocean

Part 6 of JoJo is how Prison Break should have been. It has one of my favourite stands ever (bohemian rhapsody)
Thank you!
Reknoc wrote:Yea, its the only anime I'm watching this season other than Gundam Build Fighters. Its the same crazy awesome as Gurren Lagann (no surprising since its most of the talent that made it). Episode 3 was crazy hype, though if you can't stomach the fanservice I can see it being off putting (it's so crazy and over the top that I'm okay with it)
See, the fanservice is the main thing I'm not sure about. One part of thinks "this is just pointless". Another part thinks "Well, it's all to do with the OTT nature of the show". While the last part of me is simply thinking "Actually...Ryouko's pretty hot. Carry on!"

Reknoc wrote:sell an organ.
You think mine are worth anything?
BluePuyo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BluePuyo »

I don't find the fanservice in Kill La Kill to be "fanservice". Hard to explain, but it feels natural in this kind of show that is so over the top, it's made for laughs. Although I felt that it was a little excessive in episode 3, it wasn't something that was distracting. That's just me though.

Liking this show so far by the way. It's full of action, humor, random craziness, and Mako.