Games that Time Remembered, Hated and Ruined

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Games that Time Remembered, Hated and Ruined

Post by Rayne »

Well as awesome as retro gaming is occasionally there's a title that just doesn't hold up. Whether it's terrible graphics, awkward controls or out-dated play mechanics some things just don't quite play the way you remember them. What ones have you come across lately?
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Pretty much any 3D game with polygons during the 32bit era looks horrible now. I remember when NiGHTS looked absolutely amazing, the FMV movies in particular... And comparing it to now, you can really see how far graphics has come.

Although better graphics can sometimes be a bad thing in terms of development time and game quality.

I actually feel put off playing older games because the game design is just out dated to what we're used to and spoilt with now, such as random battles in RPG's, cheap deaths and a lack of save points in certain games. I feel like, as someone who has studied game design, that I can't trust older games to give me the experience I want.. And then I really do feel spoilt, haha.

One game I had trouble with recently was Goldeneye on the N64. I ran a game society at Uni last year and the retro night we had involved play throughs of games like Goldeneye. The graphics weren't bad, but the controls were really awful. Similarly, playing Quake 3 Arena on the Dreamcast was a really awkward experience, especially when you compare it to console FPS' today. Well, it was a laugh anyway :D
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I tried to get a 4 player going on Quake last year and no-one could do it, my friends were so used to the modern control schemes their brains now could not adapt to a one analogue stick control scheme.

Had to bang on Worms to stop the moaning.
Tic Tac, sir?
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

I recently played a game of Goldeneye and found the same problem, terrible control setup
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Killer French Bread wrote:I tried to get a 4 player going on Quake last year and no-one could do it, my friends were so used to the modern control schemes their brains now could not adapt to a one analogue stick control scheme.

Had to bang on Worms to stop the moaning.
Haha Worms was always our saving grace too! At least that has aged well.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Killer French Bread wrote:I tried to get a 4 player going on Quake last year and no-one could do it, my friends were so used to the modern control schemes their brains now could not adapt to a one analogue stick control scheme.
Not too sure why, but I've always been quite used to it. I guess it's because I've been playing PSP games that use the same setup, so my mind is still able to figure out that A, B, X and Y are being used to strafe/look.
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

I think a couple of fighting games just don't feel right after playing the later incarnations; Tekken feels awful after playing 6 as well as Soul Cali and Smashbros for the 64. I think one could argue that all are great as far as controls and system goes, but once the foundations where laid the later games just feel better in most aspects. An honorary mention goes out to Super Street Fighter 2 because after all these years is still being played!
Host of ClubSEGA - A show about the arcade scene and SEGA arcade games.
Wednesday at 8pm UK/WET - 9pm CEST- 3pm EST - 12pm PST
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Have to disagree with Smash Bros. In true Nintendo fashion, I think the three games have felt very similar, gameplay wise.
IvyRave
Level 10
Level 10

Post by IvyRave »

I remember the old Tony Hawk games used to be good but as time wore on they weren't as good, I have so many happy memories of playing THPS2 on the PS it feels a shame now that I have to replug the whole darn TV just to play a good skating game, why can't Tony Hawk make a good video game? Is it because Neversoft isn't around anymore?
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

IvyRave wrote:I remember the old Tony Hawk games used to be good but as time wore on they weren't as good, I have so many happy memories of playing THPS2 on the PS it feels a shame now that I have to replug the whole darn TV just to play a good skating game, why can't Tony Hawk make a good video game? Is it because Neversoft isn't around anymore?
That's more like the franchise has been ruined, THPS2 is still a brilliant game to play today. I actually went back through it not long ago