The iPod App Recommendation Thread! X3

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Angry Birds - 59p gets some really good updates :D
Doodle Jump - 59p it actually warns you that the game is addictive
Pocket God - 59p - Cant really explain this one

I'll add more once i find my Ipod xD
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Rayne wrote:The hell with OpenFeint, just use Apple's Game Centre.
Game centre doesn't offer free stuff.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

When 90% of the App store is priced at 59p you honestly need free games? :blink: I actually don't look in the free section anymore...

Hopefully Apple will get 3rd parties onto the Game Centre too, it's off to a good start...Predators wants people to join Crystal (I think) but is also on GC, so maybe games can promote more than 1.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I'm getting into the Fable III Kingmaker app: Free gold for the main Fable 3 game? Yes please! It's a geotagging mini-game that relies on players planting virtual flags in real world locations in order to capture territory for those Royals or the Rebels, the side with the most territory by the day the main game is released gains a bonus of gold as an incentive to capture more territory. It's also on Android and Symbian platforms so have a nose if you're curious.

Edit: One thing I should mention; it's only available in the UK, Germany, France, Spain, The Netherlands and Sweden.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

There's a big selection of apps on sale today, a few highlights for me -

Chu Chu Rocket
Crash Nitro Kart 2
Metal Gear Touch
Paperboy
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Rayne wrote:Paperboy
They have paperboy? That game used to be my favorite as a kid. Going to look it up now.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Having now played a few of my apps I must say I'm impressed!

Giana Sisters:

The original Super Mario Bros clone is back! While it recently got a re-release on the DS this is the first time I've played the very German Giana Sisters. The gameplay is actually very solid. Simple platforming with blue jewels instead of coins, rather than having a Mushroom power-up Giana Sisters instead just skips straight to giving you their version of the fire flower. The presentation is very charming, the only nit pick is that the game itself is very simple. It's more of a kids platformer than a core-gamer platformer. That said, it's still very playable. Worth the £2.99

Price: £2.99
Buy: Y

Pizza Boy:

Yet another Mario Bros clone, however in stark contrast to Giana Sisters, Pizza Boy knows it's target market. With an awesome chip tune soundtrack & decidedly retro flair it'll instantly charm most of the users here. The touch controls are pitch perfect & the level design is both smart and challenging. So much so that I continue to die on what appear to be the simplest of obstacles. Pizza boy is as close as Mario Bros iPhone as we'll ever get, for that alone it's well worth buying

Price: £1.99

Rhythm Control:

I bought this solely on the idea that it might be a DJ-Max style game for IOS devices. Unfortunately it's not, in spite of the game promising a japanese flair the limited soundtrack is mostly full of lyric-less club tunes. The basic gameplay is simple tapping stuff, wait for the rings to align with the smaller rings then tap em. While the presentation is pretty good the lousy soundtrack and somewhat life-less gaming section leaves it feeling like a game that could have been awesome but wasn't.

Price: £1.99
Buy: N

Jenga:

It's Jenga. Nothing more, nothing less. The physics are very accurate and the touch controls are responsive, so the over-all game always feels fair and fun. As you might expect this is much better experienced in multi-player than it is just playing alone. Thanks to the addition of Game-Centre support you can chase your friends high scores which lends a little competitive edge to things. Overall it's pretty much what you'd expect but the controls never let it down.

Price: 59p
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Dead Rising Mobile:

If you asked me if I wanted Dead Rising on my iPhone, my first response would be 'F*ck yes'. Having played this I can now say that if I never see another Dead Rising game in my lifetime, it'll be too soon. It starts on a high note, with cutscenes from the 360 game giving you a glimmer of hope, however the moment you take control you'll see that the graphics are horrendous and the controls are clunky and slow.

Now, assuming you're a 'core' fan and you stick with it through the shoddy frame-rate and the above issues, you'll soon see what has to be the dumbest mechanic ever included in a video game. DRM gives you the ability to level up and learn skills much like in the original game, however this time around if you die, you go straight back to level 1. Any sense of progress is completely wiped out and you're faced with having to play this horrid game all over again.

Bleh, just avoid, avoid, avoid and avoid

Price: £3.99
Buy: F*ck No

MaXplosion:

This one's at the centre of a bit of controversy and for good reason. It's a complete and utter rip-off of the XBLA title 'Splosion Man'. While there's no doubting it's a complete copy, it's actually still very fun to play (when copying from source material as good as Splosion Man, that shouldn't be a surprise). At 59p you'll get a nicely presented and very playable platformer.

Price:59p
Buy: Yes!

Road Blaster:

Some Sega nerds here might recognise this one as a lamentable Mega CD FMV title. Now back in the day this game was completely lame, with compressed video that looked like crap and clunky controls it was about exciting as dental surgery. With the iPhone release Revolutionary Concepts have at least brought out the Spit & Polish, the soundtrack's been tweaked so it's audible over the SFX, there's both tilt and touch controls and the game has been split up into different chapters which gives a great sense of progression. With it's cheesy premis and anime presentation Road Blaster isn't for everyone, but if you persevere you might just find a fair bit of fun with this one.

Price: 59p
Buy: Yup
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Halfbrick have come out with three games on the Ipod. There all very good. Defo worth a buy.
Age of Zombies
Monster Dash
Fruit Ninja
Also pick up Super Quick Hook. Very addicting