Nintendo 3DS

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
MrEthernex
Level 10
Level 10

Nintendo 3DS

Post by MrEthernex »

Anyone who is connected to the Internet most likely knows or has heard about the Nintendo 3DS. Rumors and leaks about the system began back in March, but was officially announced at E3 2010 during Nintendo's press conference. Promising multiple features, notably 3D picture without the glasses, the 3DS will redefine the handheld gaming genre, if not video games as a whole. Although there is no official release date for any region at the moment, the 3DS is planned to be released worldwide before April 2011.

With all that background covered, let us discuss. This is open to anything 3DS related, including hardware, software, announcements, opinions, etc.

I'll start: I'm pretty psyched for the 3DS. All the hype I have for the system is most likely because of all the other reactions people have had to it. I may have bought a DSi back in April 2009, and I did go "Wtf, why are you doing this to me, Nintendo?" when I first heard about the 3DS, but now, I'm just hyped.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

The announced game line up has filled me with (possibly premature) hope.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Honestly, I was never that excited or hyped for the DS. Touch Screen has won me over, but initially I saw it as just a fad. It's nice when it's used right, but traditional controls still feel naturally.

But, when I saw the 3DS being shown off at E3 and all the games coming out, I really was impressed. Plus, a re-make of Ocarina of Time is the ultimate selling point for me!

I assume it won't be backwards compatible with GBA games though?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:
I assume it won't be backwards compatible with GBA games though?
Of course not; the last hopes for a new Gameboy went out of the window with the DSi.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

I wouldn't be so sure. There's an outside chance Nintendo will release a new Gameboy along the lines of a PSP GO and make it work. Full back catalogue of NES/SNES/64 titles, plus other systems...that'd do :O

Because so many people only just recently purchased a DS it'd piss them off if they stopped compatability for their games, maybe the next one will only have one screen.
sonicfanRICH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by sonicfanRICH »

I just learned of a hidden feature that is supposedly getting an update for the 3DS.

This new system sure seems to have a lot going for it! I can't wait to get a blue/black model when it comes out. Would be a serious upgrade from my old DS.
ImageImage
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Hope has turned into excitement: Just look at the line up trailer! Feburary the 26th in Japan and "March" for the west. *Crosses fingers that it launches just in time for my birthday like the original DS did*

I love how Gigazinepresented the news. "Nintendo have revealed the date and price for the 3DS...But more importantly: NEW LOVE PLUS!!!" No prizes for guessing who their target readership is... (At least they're no-where near as bad as those freaks over at... *Shudders* Sankaku Complex...)
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

DS could be here as early as March 2011?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wS96MoJ6S4
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Exciting stuff. I think I'll pass for a while though, I'm supposed to be saving my money! But definitely interested in picking one up later in the year, if only for Ocarina of Time.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Im the same. I want one but $300 is alot of money. That's £200 in real money and the way we get charged anyway it wouldn't surprise me if it was more when it came out over here. I am excited about it but i'll wait till it comes down a bit.