Why do IGN and the like give Sonic games a bad rating?

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Metal
Level 1
Level 1

Why do IGN and the like give Sonic games a bad rating?

Post by Metal »

I'm not all TOO sure if this is in general but I am talking about Sonic which is strictly SEGA but I'm asking a question why IGN and them give Sonic games such a bad rating... I think they fail at life or just hate Sonic becuase all the games have been great and fun! I don't see whats so horrible to them about Sonic games nowadays... it seems the only 3-D ones they ever liked were Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 but didn't seem to like SADX or SA2B.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Easy answer. They're biased. Easy example is when Jeff Gertsmann was fired from Gamespot for giving an unbiased review of Grand Theft Auto 4.

I gotta say though, Sonic Rush pisses me off. It's great that it's 2D and all but the level design in my opinion is shit. You never know when you're going to fall in a hole until you actually..well. Fall in a hole.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Simple answer -

The newer sonic games are utter crap.

Harsh but true. And when you look closer, IGN have handed out some very generous scores to some very lame games:

Sonic & the Secret Rings - 7.8
Sonic Unleashed (Wii) - 7.2
Sonic Heroes - 7

Not counting the DS releases that have been pretty much applauded by all the review sites.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Wrath Oskvro wrote:Easy answer. They're biased. Easy example is when Jeff Gertsmann was fired from Gamespot for giving an unbiased review of Grand Theft Auto 4.
Erm, wasn't he fired for reviewing Kane and Lynch poorly when Gamespot had K&L branding at the time? Eidos weren't too happy about what he'd wrote, and asked him to change it to be a bit more favourable.

Least, that's what I've heard.
Metal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Metal »

But easily everybody can agree SA2/SA2B always was and forever will BE THE BEST Sonic game to ever had been created.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Metal wrote:But easily everybody can agree SA2/SA2B always was and forever will BE THE BEST Sonic game to ever had been created.
No.

I like it (Apart from the voices, the plot, and all of the levels except Sonic's. And most of Sonics level. Basically; the Chao garden kickced bum)

Sonic 1, 2, Advance 2 and Rush for me.

Edit: And since when have IGN ever written a review worth reading? Fair enough some their news coverage and some articles, but reviews? Buzz off. Same with Tim Roger's Kotaku posts.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Well the new 3D sonic game's arnt that good. Though i have to admit I never understood the low ratings for from both gamespot and ign for Sonic Unleashed (X360 & PS3) Yet when IGN did the console comprasion for Unleashed (wii & ps2 vs x60 & ps3) The next gen version won when they gave the wii and ps2 version a higher score
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Gavvie wrote:Erm, wasn't he fired for reviewing Kane and Lynch poorly when Gamespot had K&L branding at the time? Eidos weren't too happy about what he'd wrote, and asked him to change it to be a bit more favourable.

I dunno though, it's GTA. He may have came back or something, but there was a huge deal about Jeff and his rating for GTA4.

Oh and just throwing something out there, i loved Sonic Heroes. o_O I thought it was awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Gavvie wrote:Erm, wasn't he fired for reviewing Kane and Lynch poorly when Gamespot had K&L branding at the time? Eidos weren't too happy about what he'd wrote, and asked him to change it to be a bit more favourable.

This is true, but it's also the best thing to have happened to gaming websites since it meant the creation of Giantbomb.com.
TF73
Level 9
Level 9

Post by TF73 »

I guess Sonic games haven't got the best reviews around lately, simply because they don't deserve it! The latest efforts haven't been close to their original 2d counterparts. But I hope Sonic Team will soon start to learn so we can have a ace 3d sonic also. Although I think Sonic Adventure was an exception on the Dreamcast.