Sonic 2 goes extra large!

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Sonic 2 goes extra large!

Post by richarddavies »

Just saw a video of this new Sonic 2 hack and thought it deserved a mention. Basically the rings are now "golden doughnuts" and the more Sonic eats the fatter he visibly gets. If you eat too many you die so if you beef up you have to run the fat off without collecting any rings. Adds a bit of depth to the games. Might give it a crack tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGKeFd4MKqE
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Yeah, I saw this on TSS yesterday. Does look rather funky, though I do wonder how good it'll be, taking the speed out of a game that's meant to be quick.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

^Yeah I noticed that, Sonic slows right down when he chuncks up. I suppose the tactics behind it is to speed through while getting as few a rings as possible. I think it might add a bit of challenge to the game actually.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Interesting idea, it could be used to portray how exxessive consumption, be it food or possibly money (as the rings are often used to represent in the Sonic universe) or indeed anything else that at first having a lot of it may seem wonderful but in the end leads only to despair and an inevitable downfall.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

^ I think that's a bit deep for a Sonic game, especially a fan-hack.

Good to know you've got your head screwed on, though XD
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Kaito-kun wrote:Interesting idea, it could be used to portray how exxessive consumption, be it food or possibly money (as the rings are often used to represent in the Sonic universe) or indeed anything else that at first having a lot of it may seem wonderful but in the end leads only to despair and an inevitable downfall.

Yeah if you want. And Sonic looks funny fat.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I'm surprised they put effort into making Sonic get fat, I was expecting them just to blow the sprite up slighty each time. Now it's just kinda creepy.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Must have took forever to make those sprites to look perfect. I think its pretty funny, looks challenging. I would give it a shot.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

^ They don't exactly look perfect though. Some of them are pretty good, but when he's what they consider to be Level 7 on the sprite sheet, it's quite obvious that they've just stuck the belly onto the Sonic sprite without much consideration as to whether it works or not.
baraka6
Level 6
Level 6

Post by baraka6 »

So what does he turn out like when he has the chaos emeralds? super size me sonic? does the truffle shuffle to the enemys