Pizza
29%

Total votes: 14

Tealer
Level 2
Level 2

Sonic 4's Music

Post by Tealer »

Since the purpose of the forums is to make this place active again, here's a rather good discussion topic.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode 1 has a soundtrack solely composed by Jun Senoue, who did a few tracks in Sonic 3 & Knuckles as well as working on Sonic 3D Blast with Tetsuyuki Maeda and another guy. The music has been a discussion point by many due to the quality. The tracks are short, all use the few, same instruments and uses percussion from Sonic 2 which mostly consists of kicks and snares compared to the much better Sonic 3 & Knuckles percussion.

Some people think that the music sounds like "dying cats". I share this opinion because frankly, a lot of the tracks suck. If you've had a chance to listen to the soundtrack when it was leaked, there were only a few decent songs and the boss tune came from a lost Sonic 3D Blast track.

If you've listened to classic songs, they don't use the same instruments for every song. They may share some instruments, but there were a variety. I don't like the soundtrack and I think that Jun Senoue was a bad choice. He was made the sole composer and made it look like he would only be good if he used a guitar.

Discuss.
Shockerbey
level 11
level 11

Post by Shockerbey »

I'm glad the music is how it is. The concept of Sonic 4 was to go back to the way it used to be. Yes Jun has awesome guitar tracks but they were never involved in classic sonic games. The 16-bit type music was the best choice
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I've heard one song from it; the first Act from the first zone and I liked it; if the game is trying to emulate the classic side-scrolling games then it was a good idea to try and have the music emulate the style and game play.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I heard a track, it was whatever was played on one of the live shows. It was garbage, but every Sonic game seems to have at least one awful track, hopefully this is that.
ShadowPhantom
level 11
level 11

Post by ShadowPhantom »

I heard the music for Act 1 and Act 3 of Splash Hill Zone and it sounded pretty good. I like how they added in some of the old 16-bit sounds. It gave it a classic, yet modern feel. I like it.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I heard the whole soundtrack. On liked SPlash HIll Zone Act 1.
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

I must say I've stayed well away from the music until i get to play the game. To me the music has to be representative of the level itself. If I was played the Scrap Brain theme by itself I would probably ask the person why they hated me so much and to turn it off. But obviously Scrap Brain is a great track and really fits with the levels whirling gears and buzz saws. Then again I haven't heard any Sonic 4 music and I have a feeling the response from you guys isn't without reason...
Host of ClubSEGA - A show about the arcade scene and SEGA arcade games.
Wednesday at 8pm UK/WET - 9pm CEST- 3pm EST - 12pm PST
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Good music stands up on its own though.
TF73
Level 9
Level 9

Post by TF73 »

From the little I have heard it seems to re-create the spirit of the first games. So it works for me getting into nostalgic mode :)