Handheld multiplayer question

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Handheld multiplayer question

Post by richarddavies »

I know I can go on the internet with my psp and I don't have a ds at the mo but im pretty sure you can on that too but my question is on multiplayer gaming on the handhelds. Can you only play locally with some mates that are close to you or is it possible to play for example with your psp over the internet through your home router? Im not too clever with this sort of crap so I was hoping someone could shed some light. I like the thought of handheld multiplayer gaming but it seems like too much arsing getting 4 mates round your house with 4 handhelds etc.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

A lot of DS games support online play via wi-fi. (Although not WPA!) as for the PSP I think there are one or two games you can play online with via faffing about with the PS3's ad-hoc party software.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

DS games are largely unplayable due to not recognising decent internet security :I so you need a wi fi dongle.

PSP games mostly don't feature online play but adhoc party makes it really easy. I've managed to get a few shin budokai battles online, cracking stuff
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Nearly all DS games with multiplayer have local and a fair few have online via Wi-Fi but DS games do not recognise WPA2 security (though the DSi console does) so you need to use either the Dongle (almost impossible to get) WEP or no security.

The PSP is all local all the time, every developer seems to fucking forget that the PSP has online capabilities. You can use Ad-hoc Party if your PS3 is set on a wired connection.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

a fair few psp games are actually online w/o the need for adhoc party

need for speed (series)
and so is fifa i believe

but yeah adhoc party is the way to go, owning people on dissidia = ftw ;3