What's your favourite console generation?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...

What's your favourite console generation?

1st (Odyssey, Pong)
No votes
2nd (2600, 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision)
No votes
3rd (NES/Famicon, Master System, 7800)
3%
4th (Turbo Graphix-16/PC Engine, Mega Drive/Genesis, Neo Geo, SNES/Super Famicon)
28%
5th (3DO, CD32, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64)
31%
6th (Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube)
28%
7th (Xbox 360, Wii, PS3)
10%

Total votes: 29

Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Actually, thinking about it, the most successful console of this generation is probably the DS, from a hardcore perspective. It has loads of different games and doesn't need amazing graphics to get sales.
Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

Exactly! that proves you don't need good graphics to do well, there are other methods.
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Cobra! wrote:Exactly! that proves you don't need good graphics to do well, there are other methods.
but graphics do help, all down to target audience,

wii = family based
360 & ps3 = gamer (mainly) more people are buying the ps3 as they've seen what it can do, now devs are slowly comming to the ps3

going back again, 64 bit killed 32 bit which had killed 16 bit which had killed 8 bit

im sure someone once said look to the past to find inspiration for the future
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

The comparisn between 16 bit is foolish as 16 bit games are some of the best looking 2D titles erm, ever. They certainly have a timeless quality, unlike early 3D games, they look like someone was sick over the screen.

The Wii has had phenominal sales but it's got an almost non-existant software attachment rate, so from a gamer point of view, it's failing quite badly. It's a great argument that core gameplay doesn't need fancy graphics (and I agree, I had loads of fun with Wii sports, etc) but given the choice between that and Killzone 2, I'll go with the space nazi's.

The DS is pretty trashy imo, the release catalogue is almost non-existant, it's good for RPG players though.

ANYway, to the point. Look to Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta & Killer 7, or more recently Muramasa: The Demon Blade, these are games that achieve greatness because of a unique art style/superior graphics, in spite of most of them featuring recycled gameplay.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Rayne wrote:The DS is pretty trashy imo, the release catalogue is almost non-existant, it's good for RPG players though.
Christ, if the DS's releases are almost non-existant I'd hate to think what the PSPs is.
Matty wrote:im not alone then, yeah it does seem fanboyish but look at bayonetta, that could have been so much better if it was dev'd for ps3 & not badly ported over from 360
Fanboyish in that it's stupid and wrong? Yes. Platinum is pretty low budget, even if they had made it PS3 exclusive it wouldn't have looked any better.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Reknoc wrote:Platinum is pretty low budget, even if they had made it PS3 exclusive it wouldn't have looked any better.
The load times

they are reminiscent of the Neo Geo CD load times, really put me off buying
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Matty wrote:The load times

they are reminiscent of the Neo Geo CD load times, really put me off buying
Yea well that's SEGA's fault for porting it badly. And they fixed it in a patch apparently.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Reknoc wrote:Yea well that's SEGA's fault for porting it badly. And they fixed it in a patch apparently.
they have :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv-Wrr-ULVY

and sony patched it & not sega, sega were useless =/
The Captain
Level 8
Level 8

Post by The Captain »

matty wrote:more people are buying the ps3 as they've seen what it can do, now devs are slowly comming to the ps3

going back again, 64 bit killed 32 bit which had killed 16 bit which had killed 8 bit
Make up facts! Sound smart!
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Reknoc wrote:Christ, if the DS's releases are almost non-existant I'd hate to think what the PSPs is.
I didn't say anything about the PSP being any better :P