What's your favourite console generation?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...

What's your favourite console generation?

1st (Odyssey, Pong)
No votes
2nd (2600, 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision)
No votes
3rd (NES/Famicon, Master System, 7800)
3%
4th (Turbo Graphix-16/PC Engine, Mega Drive/Genesis, Neo Geo, SNES/Super Famicon)
28%
5th (3DO, CD32, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64)
31%
6th (Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube)
28%
7th (Xbox 360, Wii, PS3)
10%

Total votes: 29

Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

Ok, guys, knock it off! I didn't create this thread so we can argue about what console is better, I created this so we could argue about what console GENERATION is better! :P

But seriously though, I don't want any arguements, I'd rather you guys created a thread for this discussion, if you havn't already.
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Is the PSP/DS considered this generation or Last? (The PSP could connect to the PS2 with some games...)

Just add to my last post: Handhelds consoles have all ways been my fave type of console, though I have to admit the PSP needs to be supported with better games, The DS is still doing great since its launch. :D
Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

Gonic wrote:Is the PSP/DS considered this generation or Last? (The PSP could connect to the PS2 with some games...)
The DS and PSP is this generation, the last generation was GBA and N-Gage.
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".
MrEthernex
Level 10
Level 10

Post by MrEthernex »

It was a tie between 4th and 6th. Only 5th gen memory I have is the N64 (and what a good memory that was), and I practically grew up on the SNES, but I had a helluva lot more fun with my Gamecube (and occasionally PS2 and Xbox) and just more recently (aka 2008) discovered the power of the Dreamcast.

6th gen wins my vote.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Gonic wrote:The DS is still doing great since its launch. :D
Is it really though? I'll concede the DS has a larger selection of titles but the release schedules for the past few years have been all but empty (besides from HeartGold/SoulSilver). In fact if you look at what's due out the PSP has at least two big hitter titles whereas the DS has nothing :blink:
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Maybe you need to take a look at the 3DS line up! I'm pretty sure that'll kick things back into gear.
Awinnerwasyou
News Team
News Team

Post by Awinnerwasyou »

For me it's a toss between 4th and 5th. The 16 bit era had some of my all times favourite games on there, from the Sonic and Mario games, Super Metroid, most of Treasure's Mega Drive games, Street Fighter 2, the list goes on. The 32 bit era, however, bought us Super Mario 64, NiGHTS, Castlevania SotN, Sega Rally and the first Tomb Raider, among others. I felt it was a very exciting time to be a gamer, and I do think the games were more memorable than most of today's games.

In the end, I went with 5th generation, but only just.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:Maybe you need to take a look at the 3DS line up! I'm pretty sure that'll kick things back into gear.
But the 3DS isn't the DS. They're different generations for a start.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Kaito-kun wrote:But the 3DS isn't the DS. They're different generations for a start.
This.

That said, I don't think I've EVER been more excited for a gaming system than for the 3DS, some of my fave games of all time remastered, some of my fave franchises continued and some old gems I never got to play resurrected. Yes Please :P will be getting one at midnight launch.

Would it be cheating to choose current gen based off the fact that you can emulate all the classics of the past? (Virtual Console, Sega mega drive collection, etc)
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Rayne wrote:Is it really though? I'll concede the DS has a larger selection of titles but the release schedules for the past few years have been all but empty (besides from HeartGold/SoulSilver). In fact if you look at what's due out the PSP has at least two big hitter titles whereas the DS has nothing :blink:
I meant in sales (should really of said) Game wise, it started great but now...>_>