What's your favourite console generation?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...

What's your favourite console generation?

1st (Odyssey, Pong)
No votes
2nd (2600, 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision)
No votes
3rd (NES/Famicon, Master System, 7800)
3%
4th (Turbo Graphix-16/PC Engine, Mega Drive/Genesis, Neo Geo, SNES/Super Famicon)
28%
5th (3DO, CD32, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64)
31%
6th (Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube)
28%
7th (Xbox 360, Wii, PS3)
10%

Total votes: 29

Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

The thing I hate about the current generation, is that they just don't care about the games anymore, it's all about the money, for example, some games force you to pay for DLC to get certain content, even though in some cases, it's already IN the game, it just unlocks them. Also, the games consoles have the same problem, remember when people had their preferences over a certain console because of the games? Well nowawdays, it's just "My console has more features than yours".

Looking in retrospect, I don't think any of these consoles are going to be rememberd as being good.

People bash the Xbox due to it's lack to exclusives (which BTW I disagree with), it had the Halo series, the Blinx series, the WWF Raw series, Half-Life 2, Outrun 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Robot Wars: Extreme Destruction and a few more, and people say the Xbox 360 is better, but think about this, How many major exclusves does the Xbox 360 have? I can only think of the Gears of war and Halo series, the 360 is suffering the same fate, and adding on the Red rings, I can just imagine in when the Xbox 36o dies, people are gonna bash it even more than the did the origonal.

I think the PS3 will be remembered as killing the Playstation brand for the same reason, it lacks good exclusives, the PS1 and PS2 had tonnes, but the only ones I hear about on the PS3 are the Uncharted series and Resistence series. (both of which BTW, I think are overated)

I remember a couple of my friends who happen to be Nintendo fans (but not fanboys) said the Wii will save Nintendo's reputation after what happened to the Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube, but it turns out the Wii made it even worse, I can understand the idea of casual games, to help bring the family together and such, but the plan backfired if you ask me, because when we first got the Wii, we used to always arge on who's getting the next shot, which pulled us even further apart.

I think this generation is f*cked up, so I decided to go Retro gaming, and I don't regret it!

This is just my personal opinion, I'm probably gonna get bashed for it though.
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Gonic wrote:The 360 is a breeding ground for FPS and has a awful online community, The PS3 isnt being taken advantage of (with exception of uncharted 2 and ratchet and clank)

THANK YOU!

people do not realise the ps3 isnt being pushed to its full potential, sony are the only ones who are willing to do so, if other devs did then 360 would be rendered useless & just die
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

^That's basically saying Graphics have a direct impact on gameplay though which is just tosh.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Matty wrote:THANK YOU!

people do not realise the ps3 isnt being pushed to its full potential, sony are the only ones who are willing to do so, if other devs did then 360 would be rendered useless & just die
What bollocks. Maybe you could rub those brain cells together to find out why only Sony are willing to push the PS3 to it's "full potential".
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I like playing online and seeing nice graphics so picked this generation. The one thing that lets the 360 and PS3 down for me are the controllers - I prefered the Saturn and old Xbox Duke pads. But whatever, you get on with it.
Tic Tac, sir?
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

richarddavies wrote:^That's basically saying Graphics have a direct impact on gameplay though which is just tosh.
I take graphics over gameplay every time. They make the experience far more enjoyable, art style in particular can completely elevate a game above the boring standards.

And developers are pushing PS3 development forward, EA are now using it as the lead platform & the exclusive titles really showcase what it can do (Uncharted 2 & GOW 3 spring to mind). It's a fanboy cliche but multiplat titles really do get watered down on PS3 so they won't outstrip the 360 HD DVD's.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Rayne wrote:I take graphics over gameplay every time. They make the experience far more enjoyable, art style in particular can completely elevate a game above the boring standards.

And developers are pushing PS3 development forward, EA are now using it as the lead platform & the exclusive titles really showcase what it can do (Uncharted 2 & GOW 3 spring to mind). It's a fanboy cliche but multiplat titles really do get watered down on PS3 so they won't outstrip the 360 HD DVD's.
im not alone then, yeah it does seem fanboyish but look at bayonetta, that could have been so much better if it was dev'd for ps3 & not badly ported over from 360

graphics help sell a game/console to the masses, why do you think 64 bit consoles survived & 16 bit died
Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

...because they're from 2 differant generations? Just saying.

Besides, look at the Wii, that's basicly a flat gamecube with a fingerless powerglove, nothing improved graphics wise, and that's doing better than the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined.
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Cobra has a point. Graphics don't make a good game, in fact, more development time is spent on graphics now compared to previous times, so games are released later and are maybe not as polished in the gameplay department as they could be.

I know a few game devs in the industry, and most of them have said that the PS3 is a real pain to develop for, but on the plus side, it's much easier to port PS3 games to a 360, than vice versa. That's probably why the PS3 gets so many rubbish ports.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Cobra! wrote:...because they're from 2 differant generations? Just saying.

Besides, look at the Wii, that's basicly a flat gamecube with a fingerless powerglove, nothing improved graphics wise, and that's doing better than the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined.
because its a "unique" concept to the masses

its been done before but very badly, it sells well as its more family based & its only recently the idea of family gaming has exploded & the wii helped it grow