What's your favourite console generation?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...

1st (Odyssey, Pong)
No votes
2nd (2600, 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision)
No votes
3rd (NES/Famicon, Master System, 7800)
3%
4th (Turbo Graphix-16/PC Engine, Mega Drive/Genesis, Neo Geo, SNES/Super Famicon)
28%
5th (3DO, CD32, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64)
31%
6th (Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube)
28%
7th (Xbox 360, Wii, PS3)
10%

Total votes: 29

Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

The chat I had in the IRC during Sega Jukebox last night inspired me to make this topic.

So what's your favourate console generation? Mines is the 5th, Closley followed by the 6th.

I've had so many awesome memories with both eras, as for the 5th, I had a PS1, but my cousin had both a PS1 and an N64 (Lucky B*stard! lol), so I've had some great times playing those, I never own a saturn untill recently, and it's a great console, not as good as the PS1/N64 in my opinion, but still a fantastic console!

If you wanna be pedantic, like I do, you can include handhelds as well, I owned a Gameboy Color during the time I had the PS1, to this day, it's still my favourate handheld ever.

As for the 6th generation, I had a PS2 (Go ahead, shoot me!), I had a cousin who had a Gamecube, and another who had an Xbox, so, I have fond memories of all 3, although like the Saturn, I never had or even played a Dreamcast untill recently, and I love the thing to bits!

I had a Game Boy Advance, which was given to me by my cousin, I hated the fact you needed to constantly put it under the light just to see it, so I was exited when the SP came out, but I never got it, that is untill I got one from amazon a few years ago. Since It's from the same era, and that I have something close to a story involving it, I may as well include this as well: I never actually owned, or played an N-gage, but I remember seeing it on Toys R Us and I remember it being pretty expensive, kind of a shame, because I really wanted one, just for the THPS port, because at the time, I was a huge fan of the Tony Hawk games. I dunno, maybe I'll get one preowned from Amazon some day, if I get enough money.

So, what about you guys?

EDIT: This is a VERY minor problem, but I was putting the consoles in the poll in order of the european release dates (Which would explain why Gamecube comes after Xbox), and I just noticed the CD32 was after the 3DO, it should be the other way around, my bad.
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".
ShadowPhantom
level 11
level 11

Post by ShadowPhantom »

I don't know which generation it which, but I always love the most current consoles. Although, I still have my Gameboy Advance SP and my PlayStation 1. I still use the GBA, but the PS1 I keep mainly for the memories.
Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

ShadowPhantom wrote:I don't know which generation it which, but I always love the most current consoles. Although, I still have my Gameboy Advance SP and my PlayStation 1. I still use the GBA, but the PS1 I keep mainly for the memories.
I made a Poll, that'll tell you which Generation is which.
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Either the 4th or the 5th would be the most exciting for me. The 4th had some of the best games ever created, like Donkey Kong Country (man I was excited for that) but the 5th was just insane because of all the new technology. 3D was a new thing at the time and it took the world by storm, and I remember when I first saw the Tekken games in the arcade, I was like "oh my god I HAVE TO HAVE A PLAYSTATION!"

Same thing happened when I saw Mario 64 and Wave Race too. :P I always was pretty interested in the Saturn back then too because I was subscribed to EGM before I had internet, and there were some really cool Saturn games I wanted to play, but at the time, N64 and PS1 were the real eyecatchers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

I went with 6th. If I sat down and thought about how many great games were on the Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox I'd be a long time. Also the GBA was out in 2001 in this gen and the GBA is awesome aswell.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Yeh, each generation is amazing in its own way. I mean come on, the NES and Master System were both awesome too.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

^ Definitely, I, have a lot of love for those systems and the master system in particular is the system that really got me into gaming. If I sat down though and thought about the top games in each generation and probably more importantly which games I'd still quite happily play now, most of them would be in the Dreamcast, PS2 era.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Like Wrath said, each gen has it's charms but for me there's no doubt that last gen was the best:

PS2
GameCube
Xbox
Dreamcast

Each system has so so many fantastic exclusive games, as well as hundreds of entertaining multi plat titles. Tbh it'll be forever my fave gen as it was at the height of technology before online got in and fucked it.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

As i said in the IRC last wednesday, my fave gen has to be the 6th gen. The game libary was just plain awesome (its a shame i couldnt get a dreamcast) Where as i personally think this generation is a bit rubbish. Again my personal view: The 360 is a breeding ground for FPS and has a awful online community, The PS3 isnt being taken advantage of (with exception of uncharted 2 and ratchet and clank) and the Wii has a good game come out for it once every 5 months.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

As mentioned above, all generations have had their high and low points. I'm happy with this generation of gaming, we've had some interesting and original developments, and I don't just mean the expansion of casual gaming and motion controls. To be honest, I think people are just scared about casual gaming taking over, but the games industry itself has never been bigger or more influential.

I voted for the 5th generation though because I have very strong memories of my time playing on the Saturn and N64, and finally getting round to trying out the PS1. It was really that time when I was at school and had more time for games, by the time the 6th generation came, I couldn't really afford to enjoy it.