What's your Least favourite console generation?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...

What's your least favourite console generation?

1st Gen (Odyssey, Pong)
17%
2nd Gen (Atari 2600, 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision)
17%
3rd Gen (NES, Master System, Atari 7800)
4%
4th Gen (Turbo-Graphix 16/PC-Engine, Mega Drive, Neo Geo, SNES)
9%
5th Gen (CD32, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Saturn, PlayStation, N64)
4%
6th Gen (Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube)
9%
7th Gen (Xbox 360, Wii, PS3)
39%
Screw them, I hate them all!!
No votes

Total votes: 23

Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

What's your Least favourite console generation?

Post by Cobra! »

I kinda got the idea from Rayne to make this topic.

Personally, I think this one is the worst, for many reasons, but I don't wanna bore you to death, so I'm only going to say the main reason: The developers don't care about the quality of the games, and only care about the money. Sure, the industry hasn't been bigger, but that's exactly the problem, notice how the Movie industry has the same problem?

I'll end on a postive not however, there's only 1 good thing about the generation (other than Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver) if you ask me, whicch is indie games, now, thanks to programs like XNA games studio, it's easier (Trust me, it's still not to say it's easy) and cheaper to publish games on PC and Xbox 360.

So what about you guys?

EDIT: Thanks for adding the poll Gavvie!
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

This one. Nothing on the PS3 or 360 interests me and the games that do I can easily just get on PC. The 360 is also a shitty hardware design as we all know. There are some good games on the Wii that you can't play anywhere else though, so the Wii gets cool points in my book, but at the same time I'm not dying to play it either. The DS has a pretty cool library and so does the PSP though, but they're handhelds. The consoles are pretty...meh this generation in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Every generation has it's own star games and systems, regardless of what people say, no one's necessarily right or wrong.

Unless I'm saying something, because I'm naturally always right :P

My least fave generations (can't pick one!) are:

The one with that Atari type thing - Basically anything pre-8 Bit, even then if it wasn't on the NES it really wasn't worth playing. Practically non-existant graphics and rubbish gameplay, perhaps rose tinted specs make this more exciting but for gamers that grew up with later systems, it's impossible to appriciate O:

The err...the one with PS1/N64/Saturn - YES , this gen had some of my all time favorite games (MGS, Zelda OoT, etc) however the early 3D graphics are horrific when compared to today's standards, many early releases are just a complete mess to play now. Playstation & Saturn in particular are very grainy and very rubbish, the N64 wasn't fast but the textures were nice, here's my completely fair comparison of an N64 game and a PS1 game :P

The Superb Banjo-Tooie (N64)

Some PS1 game:
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

As I said before in the chatroom, the game industry is a business there to make money, and that will never change, but it's also an industry full of the most creative and inspiring people I have ever met, which attracts even more creative people that wish to work within it. If there seems to be an obsession with money above creativity, then I would say that only falls on certain companies and is a necessary evil. Bad ports and shovelware exist to fund the more daring ventures, and when the general public go out and buy crap and Fifa sequels, and real classic games can't sell nearly as well, well, you can't blame the industry for that.

I think this generation has been interesting and we've had a lot of new and unique IP's that people seem to forget pretty quickly. We've had online gaming bringing people together in a more organised way than the Dreamcast could, we've had casual gaming getting gaming into the mainstream and maybe one day we'll have tax breaks in the UK.. Honestly, this generation has been good for the industry as a whole, if not always pleasing to the gamers.

I think some people who look back of the games of old do so with nostalgia, and as I said, forget all the original and cool games we've had this generation. I have one friend who only plays on 8-bit and 16-bit games, refusing to buy any modern games because they're all been done before, just with a different world or story. That may be true for certain genres, like FPS and RPG's, but he's missing out a whole load of new genres that came into being since then, games like Rez, Little Big Planet, Samba de Amigo, NiGHTS, Mirrors Edge and so on.

What would be my least favourite generation? Since I got into gaming, I don't think I've had one, cept maybe the 8-bit days.. And that's only because I didn't play the games much then.

Anyway, interesting discussion! :P
Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

Well, you can't really blame the 5th generation for having bad graphics, it was brand new technology, and if you ask me, you should judge a generation by it's games, not the graphics.

and Regarding CapnCloudchaser's post, Well, think about it, the gaming industry is almost as big as the Movie industry, and that has the same problems, they just want money, they don't care whether or not it's actually good, and if it does well, they'll go ahead and make so many reboots and sequals that you'll start to hate it. Notice the Games industry is becoming like that? It's already happened to Guitar hero, the novelty of that has wore off years ago, yet Activison keep on making more.

You do have a point, however, you can't blame the industry for what sells more than what, but I don't see anything wrong with trying something differant, again, they're becoming like the Movie industry, they always play it safe.

Also, Rez, NiGHTS and Samba de Amigo were just re-releases of old Saturn/Dreamcast games. just to let you know.
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Send me a PM with your poll options in, and I'll do it. I think I know what you want, but best to be sure.

Least favourite generation? Probably the PSone era. I owned a Saturn, and that wasn't a great console for that generation (Personally, I loved it, but let's be realistic here), and when it died out I never went and got a PlayStation or a N64, so I missed out on a lot of the big games that came out at the time. As such, I don't think I look back on them as nostalgically as some of you lot.

Don't get me wrong, I did play a lot of PS and N64 games as my cousin owned both consoles, so I have played MGS, Zelda: OoT, and a few others whose names escape me, but I was SEGA through and through, so when it died, I just waited for the Dreamcast XD
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Cobra! wrote:and Regarding CapnCloudchaser's post, Well, think about it, the gaming industry is almost as big as the Movie industry, and that has the same problems, they just want money, they don't care whether or not it's actually good, and if it does well, they'll go ahead and make so many reboots and sequals that you'll start to hate it. Notice the Games industry is becoming like that? It's already happened to Guitar hero, the novelty of that has wore off years ago, yet Activison keep on making more.

You do have a point, however, you can't blame the industry for what sells more than what, but I don't see anything wrong with trying something differant, again, they're becoming like the Movie industry, they always play it safe.
I believe the games industry is worth more than the film industry in the UK now, at least that's the argument behind tax breaks I think.

Yeah, some companies milk franchises if they're a cash cow and sadly they'll keep going as long as people keep voting with their wallets. I've seen many comments about Sega using Sonic in the same way, but at least they're trying to improve the franchise and are always looking at new ways to expand.. Which probably annoys people more :P

Activision though are pure evil. They're worse than EA now, EA are like saints compared to them! I mean, EA always got criticised for similar reasons as you have mentioned Cobra, but at least they tried new franchises with Dead Space and Mirrors Edge. Game companies have loads of great creative ideas, but they don't always use them, because what may be unique and awesome may not sell :(
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

EA are very good now actually. They realised that they were starting to lose rep for their constant licensed franchises, and actually tried to start making new games again. Sure, they're mostly based on other ideas, but in the last 5 years you've had Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Army of Two, Create (announced today if you haven't heard of it), EA Active etc etc.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

EA basically took a step back and looked at their rep. Figuring they had garunteed cash flow from the annual sports titles they splashed out on the two games Cap'n mentioned, which was absolutely fantastic! I loved them both <3

Activision are absolutely terrible, not only do they milk franchises until they're utterly dead, they publically gloat about it. Not once do they attempt to connect with their customers, acknowledge the criticisms leveled at them or even attempt to inject something new into the clearly milked franchises. Guh.

I do think people talk a lot about of crap about this gen, this gen has an abundance of creativity and (like it or loathe it, I loathe it) digital download has really helped indie tiltes grow.
Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:
Activision though are pure evil. They're worse than EA now, EA are like saints compared to them! I mean, EA always got criticised for similar reasons as you have mentioned Cobra!, but at least they tried new franchises with Dead Space and Mirrors Edge. Game companies have loads of great creative ideas, but they don't always use them, because what may be unique and awesome may not sell :(

Or, alternately, they could sell VERY well if it's a really unique (usually unique in a not-so-weird way) idea and stands out.

EDIT: Thanks for adding the poll Gavvie!