Achievements & Trophies - Wrong or Right?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

Trophies/Achievements are a really valuable addition to gaming but I have to say in-game rewards outmatch them completely. Games like Resi and Bayonetta offer lots more to the player after playing through on the hardest setting etc. But as you say Rayne it just adds so much more re-play value and that is why I like them.

Dont get me started on pre-order bonus's, infact I think thats probably the worst contribution of this generation.
Host of ClubSEGA - A show about the arcade scene and SEGA arcade games.
Wednesday at 8pm UK/WET - 9pm CEST- 3pm EST - 12pm PST
Tails_1986
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tails_1986 »

Achivements and Trophies can expand a game playtime, if done right. One example I can give is Starcraft 2. I already beat the campaign and I'm now going through it again to complete its achivements. Since I'm not really interested in the multiplayer part of the game this is a good way to keep me playing it.

They can be good when they encourage you into exploring the game a bit more, but if they are just there then it would probably be better for the programers to add some unlockable content instead.
TF73
Level 9
Level 9

Post by TF73 »

Personally they don't make a huge difference to my experience as a gamer. I do think it can be fun to get the most difficult achievements, but it would be just as fun to master the games without them.

But if they removed them from games, I would not care to much.

Personally I prefer to compare online high scores instead and replays of others if possible to learn and improve yourself.

I guess the younger generation will have more out of the trophies and see a direct prize for mastering the game.
Oldies like me can live without :)
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

Right or wrong... That's a strange question. =/

I dunno, to me it kinda seems like a desperate try to cover the fact the games of this generation have little replay value and need these achievements to be gain a bit more of it.
"The sub-structure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components. Behind atoms we find electrons - and behind electrons, quarks. Each layer unravelled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries."
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, For I Have Tasted The Fruit