Virtua Tennis 4 Announced

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Virtua Tennis 4 Announced

Post by Tru »

A new game within the Virtua Tennis franchise was recently announced exclusively for the Playstation 3 with Move support AND 3D support too!

It promises to be a more true to life tennis experience than ever before!

I'm not a huge sport games fan, but I don't mind tennis games and Virtua Tennis has always been fun, I think I have a version on the Dreamcast somewhere.. Although I admit I preferred the Sega All-Stars Tennis version haha.

I believe you'll be able to play it with a standard controller, but Move support means it'll be similar to Wii Sports Tennis, only the way you move your wrist will ensure accuracy.

Anyone a fan of the Virtua Tennis series? Excited for this? What do you think of having Move support?
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Will Tim Henman be in it?
Tic Tac, sir?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Also it's not gonna be made by Sumo. AM3 are doing it.
Retrix
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Retrix »

Thanks for the news CapnCloudchaser.

I am a tennis fan and a big fan of Virtua Tennis 1 & 2, both of which I own on the Dreamcast. (I've also played the arcade VT1.)

By comparison, I was disappointed with VT 2009 (made by a different developer), which I have for the Wii. Part of my grunts are most likely specific to this platform: namely that there is a lot of lag when playing doubles, and the motion controls are difficult, making the challenge more about shot execution than strategy. The latter point makes me sceptical about a VT4 for the PS Move.

Arguably '09 was more realistic than the first two titles (I haven't played VT3), but I don't think that makes it more fun; '09 (on Wii at least) brought up far too many aces and short rallies, for example, which can be frustrating. But I think the World Tour and mini-games in '09 I think are pretty tedious, and this has nothing to do with the platform.

My apologies for making this more of a review of VT 2009 than a speculation on VT4, on which I haven't honestly looked at any information besides that in the OP. I would like to see the gameplay format return to the 'pick up and play' style of the older titles, and if the standard controller is an option I would expect this to be easier to play with than a motion controller. Still, VT4 has the potential to be a great playing experience, especially if it takes advantage of 3D (for those with 3D TVs), continuing the trend of excellent graphics across all the titles.
There was an echidna from Vegas
Whose hairstyle was totally outrageous
When asked by the cops
Why the dreadlocks
He told them the idea was Sega's

​— The Typing of the Dead
Retrix
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Retrix »

Reknoc wrote:Also it's not gonna be made by Sumo. AM3 are doing it.
(came up while I typed my previous post)

I find this news encouraging, seeing as AM3 (Hitmaker at the time) did such a good job of the Dreamcast titles.
There was an echidna from Vegas
Whose hairstyle was totally outrageous
When asked by the cops
Why the dreadlocks
He told them the idea was Sega's

​— The Typing of the Dead
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Actually VT4 looks rather ugly.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Reknoc wrote:Actually VT4 looks rather ugly.

So it's not just me then. I can't even put my finger on it. The character models just look weird to me.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

They look like they have some kind of skin disease.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

They look a little cel-shaded, at least that's what I keep thinking when I look at the screenshots.

Still, looking forward to it. Never played VT2009, but VT3 was fun, and the two Dreamcast games are pretty good as well.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Give them chance to make it first!

As long as it plays well, it doesn't matter if the characters look a bit on the ugly side, right? :P