Forum issues...

Have something to say, or having any issues? Let us know...
Mufasa
Level 2
Level 2

Forum issues...

Post by Mufasa »

A small list of forum issues...

Almost every time I post a message, it is pre-edited. I found it particularly funny when I saw my message posted today was edited in the past by "NiGHTS into Dreams..." 3 years ago...

http://radiosega.net/forum/showpost.php ... ostcount=5

Click the image insert button. This text can confuse users:

"You may also use RadioSEGA's image uploader, click the "upload" button on the toolbar."

Also on the missing plugins note, I really really would like to see the YouTube plugin back. Its going to be a lot less fun to re-recreate the Sega commercials thread without it.

Go to "Quick Links", "Mark Forums Read":

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

I'm sure there are more issues, but these are the few that have bugged me more recently. Haven't heard from Mark, but hopefully he's got help in fixing technical issues like these.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

I'll answer what i can for you:
Mufasa wrote:A small list of forum issues...

Almost every time I post a message, it is pre-edited. I found it particularly funny when I saw my message posted today was edited in the past by "NiGHTS into Dreams..." 3 years ago...

http://radiosega.net/forum/showpost.php ... ostcount=5
Thats down to the database being corrupt, when it was back up the posts were lost but post counts weren't (if you notice the thread ID numbers are relatively low (in the 100's but should be in the 1000's)
Mufasa wrote:Also on the missing plugins note, I really really would like to see the YouTube plugin back. Its going to be a lot less fun to re-recreate the Sega commercials thread without it.
Once again, database error, the forums had to be reset to default layout and so subforums/plugins were lost completely
Mufasa wrote:Go to "Quick Links", "Mark Forums Read":

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
Again, down to the database corruption, someone needs to correct the error
Mufasa wrote:I'm sure there are more issues, but these are the few that have bugged me more recently. Haven't heard from Mark, but hopefully he's got help in fixing technical issues like these.
Mark is no longer the owner of the site and he has very little to do with it now (see the news posts from a few weeks back), he's handed the reigns over to Gavvie & hes doing what he can to sort any problems that arise
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Mark/Gavvie could try posting on the official vBulletin company forum for support, if anyone knows how to fix these kinds of bugs, it's definitely those guys.

But I hadn't noticed any except for the 'edited by' one and to be honest, it's not really a big deal. As long as you can register, login and post, it's all working fine ;)
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:Mark/Gavvie could try posting on the official vBulletin company forum for support, if anyone knows how to fix these kinds of bugs, it's definitely those guys.

But I hadn't noticed any except for the 'edited by' one and to be honest, it's not really a big deal. As long as you can register, login and post, it's all working fine ;)
VB support cant help, i think its a redirecting issue in the code. besides it will be pretty pointless fixing all these as when project 7/vb4 is here they'll all be back as i found out when a forum i frequently used before this upgraded from vb3 to 4
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Oh, does Project 7 mean we'll be upgrading to vB4? That's cool! Always wanted to try it and see it for myself, it got loads of new features for content management, etc.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:Oh, does Project 7 mean we'll be upgrading to vB4? That's cool! Always wanted to try it and see it for myself, it got loads of new features for content management, etc.
VB4 is horrendous imo

the default theme is disgusting & overly complicated

last forum to use it (referred to in my previous post) suffered a huge member loss when implementing it as it broke everything, downloads, member pages etc etc (the day before the upgrade, typical member activity was about 20 threads, 80 posts and about 700 active users (about 70 posters) after the update its down to about 1 or 2 threads, and a max of 10 posts a day with an average of 270 active users (about 20 posters) although it does introduce facebook connectivity so that's one good thing

so yeah, as good as it seems it does have its drawbacks
SegaMark
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by SegaMark »

I'll fix it when I find the time, I'm yet to transfer everything over to Gav anyway - so I'll need to tie up some loose ends.
GAME OVER, YEAH!
Mufasa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mufasa »

Actually I think I already figured out what's going on now with the fresh posts "edited by someone in the past". If the posts table got erased, there is probably a separate table to keep track of the edit reasons that didn't get erased. So when a new post is created, if it overlaps with an old post ID, it gets the edit comment. The fix is to simply delete all the edit comments higher than the current highest post ID.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Mufasa wrote:Actually I think I already figured out what's going on now with the fresh posts "edited by someone in the past". If the posts table got erased, there is probably a separate table to keep track of the edit reasons that didn't get erased. So when a new post is created, if it overlaps with an old post ID, it gets the edit comment. The fix is to simply delete all the edit comments higher than the current highest post ID.
thats correct, i came up with that thought when it happened when the site was rebooted

but is as simple as deleting them all? or are they stored in a database and not easily deletable?
Mufasa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mufasa »

Matty wrote:but is as simple as deleting them all? or are they stored in a database and not easily deletable?
After a little online searching into the vBulletin manual and a little Googling, I suspect our problematic data is in the vb3_editlog table. Anybody with database experience should be able to figure it out given that clue. Just follow the schema. ;)