[Prototype] (PS3/X360/PC)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
Shadid

[Prototype] (PS3/X360/PC)

Post by Shadid »

Well now, here's my contribution for this Review Centre!

Ok, overview first: [PROTOTYPE] is an sandbox action-adventure game developed by Radical Entertainment and published by Activision on June of last year. It got a comic book revealing more about it's story, which it will be briefed shortly. The game got an aggregate score of 80% on Metacritic.

The game occurs in New York City, focusing on the Manhattan area, where a plague named BLACKLIGHT (And yes, some words are in all caps, like in the game).
Click to reveal
The main character, Alex Mercer, is one of the infected, and he has no memory from his past. Apart from the other infected, he can shapeshift, making him able to switch to different weapons during the game, examples being a Blade, the Hammerfists, a Whip, and so on. He can also consume people (Y, on the 360 controller, as default), to get: From Humans/Military, Life and a skin for the disguise, and on Infected, to get more life.
Click to reveal
Now, from what I've played, the game is ok. It's not as much like inFAMOUS, but it has similarities. which aren't too noticeable, like the example of the powers. Although Prototype's was a well-elaborated idea.
And as it's a sandbox game, it's basically the type of game that you need to go and do missions. there are Story Missions and Events. The Story Missions basically give it away, and the Events are for those who want to get more EP's (Experience Points) and buy all Upgrades in the game.

The game's difficulty is graded in this (on Normal, by the way):
Ok, easy for a Normal guy. ----> Now we're talking! ----> Are you serious? ----> Why is it annoying me? ---> RAAAAAAGE
I AM SERIOUS. /caps
The game's difficulty gets harder and Harder and HARDER when you progress. usually stupidly hard or the so-frustrating-you-must-try-until-completion hard (like Megaman).
Click to reveal
And the Events are somewhat easy, depending on your skill. To get a Gold can be: Or easy if you have mastered some of the moves, or hard if you are just a bit weak on the controls. but it does enhance the replayability.

Overall, Prototype is not the best game ever, nor one of the best, but it still bring a fun time to anyone who enjoys sandbox games. it's powers are okay, the difficulty gets really annoying, but it's fun, the graphics are okay and although the replayability is low, it still gives you a lot to explore. If you have a free time to burn, get this and be sure to look into a deep story.
I live here now!
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Good review :3 Prototype really manages to make you feel like a superhero (well super badass). The difficulty is terrible though, starts off super easy and then by the final fight it's ramped up to the point where it's pure luck whether you beat it or not D:
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

I just got this game recently and..wow It's fun. Even if you don't do the missions, it's fun to just raise hell for a little while. Good review as well.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Nice review! I haven't actually played it myself, but would like to as I enjoyed the gameplay from games like Crackdown.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Rayne wrote:Good review :3 Prototype really manages to make you feel like a superhero (well super badass). The difficulty is terrible though, starts off super easy and then by the final fight it's ramped up to the point where it's pure luck whether you beat it or not D:
It was pure luck for me. Instead of shooting him with a gun, I threw it at him. With 2 seconds left. Thankfully I had a machinegun next to Alex's feet, so I quickly picked that up and fired like mad.

If I remember rightly, I killed him with around 0.4 seconds left, and I was about ready to smash my TV.