Celebrate 10 years of Jet Set Radio, Phantasy Star Online & Skies of Arcadia

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
ResidentSD
Show DJ
Show DJ

Celebrate 10 years of Jet Set Radio, Phantasy Star Online & Skies of Arcadia

Post by ResidentSD »

This week on SEGA AGES, in a theme suggested by RadioSEGA forum member CapnCloudchaser, we celebrate the tenth anniversary of the release of three classic SEGA games - Jet Set Radio, Phantasy Star Online & Skies of Arcadia.

Not only will I be playing the music of these three classic games, but I want to hear from you - the RadioSEGA listeners. What are your memories of these classic titles? Tell all here, and I'll read out some of the best on Friday's show!
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Mine def. won't be the best, but I actually only played those games ..2 or 3 years ago when I got my Dreamcast. I never owned a Dreamcast "back in the day" but eventually I finally got one because I did want one ever since it was released. :)

As far as memories go, I guess the most significant one was the 10 year Dreamcast anniversary when I played JGR (I'm in the US) pretty much all day o_o I also hooked my studio monitors to my TV so I got AWESOME sound
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I'm really looking forward to this show, for some strange reason ;)

Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star Online are two of my favourite RPG's of all time. I bought the US version of SoA for £50, way before its UK release, and it is one of the only games I have bothered to import. I got the Japanese version of PSO as well. Couldn't play it online, but I loved exploring offline anyway. When I eventually got to play it online, my phone bill hit £500 one month D:

PSO was the first game that I bought the complete soundtrack to as well, which I still own. Episode 1 and Episode 2 ^_^
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Jesus I feel old. Not what I needed reminding of so soon after my birthday.

I did always like the music of Skies, even if the battle music haunts me as you hear it so often. I may give it a play at some point in my final week before the grind of college starts again. Or I may not, when I played Shenmue 2 a couple of years ago I felt such a sense of nostalgia I couldn't enjoy the game much.
Tic Tac, sir?
gerbelbey
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gerbelbey »

now i carnt say much about phantasy star cause i never played it but if the ds version is anything like the original it must be an awesome game.

im not a big fan of RPG and that could be because i suck massively at them and skies of arcadia was no exception but that first boss if memory serves me right does have some jammin track i wish i was better at them sorta games then i could actually get past that f***ing first boss and see some more of the beautiful 2 disks.

JSR is just an awesome game all round: music,gameplay,graphics and now that i have dug the old game out again i seem to be able to enjoy it more now i can understand everything it is meant to be
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

You know, the only game of the three that I played when it actually came out was Skies of Arcadia XD

Awesome, awesome game. Despite the numerous times I've restarted Shenmue from the beginning, SoA is the only RPG I've ever started and finished more than four times (I started/finished FFX three). I'm even on my way through SoA Legends.

I don't know what it is about that particular game, whether it's the music, the locations, the story. There's just something about Skies of Arcadia that keeps me coming back and going through its frustrating Armada boss battles.
ResidentSD
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by ResidentSD »

Great stuff so far. Thanks guys!
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

I played PSO and Skies and here are my experiences!

PSO: I remember playing this game for 1 hour stints at a time because the internet off peak was 1p a minute (back in the day!). My parents would allow me to play it for £1 at a time. However one day they went out with their friends so my friend came around and we played it all night, we made a pact that whatever the cost we'd pay it back (I think he still owes me £5) I was playing and my friend was on keyboard, relaying my response to party member's. I have so many memories of this game it could fill your entire show but my favourite must be when I died and someone stole my money and sword (when you die in PSO you drop your money and the weapon you had equipped) and ran away. Needless to say the young ineedfruit was gutted. and then some wise lvl 40 guy decided that what just happened sucked, gave me X4 the amount of money I previously had and a kick ass sword, A stark reminder that, for all the twats forgotten, one kind deed will stay with you forever!

Skies of Arcardia
Proving the world is round
Saving your dad and crew from execution
Rhaknam (the Moby Dick story)
The Arctic
being marooned
MOONSTONE CANNON FIRE!
so many good memories :)
Host of ClubSEGA - A show about the arcade scene and SEGA arcade games.
Wednesday at 8pm UK/WET - 9pm CEST- 3pm EST - 12pm PST
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Gavvie, I know what you mean! I've completed it many times too and love the Legends version of the game for the extra stuff it offers. I think it's the world itself which is just so engrossing; the world is colourful, the characters are cheerful, it's all about exploration and adventure! The soundtrack fits the world so perfectly as well.

Edit: Thought I would post some of my PSO memories as well:

I used to play with a friend I met in the Dreamcast chatrooms, he always had more time to play the game and would spend all night on it, whereas I had school and stuff, thus he always got the best gear before I did, but he always gave me rare items, including my first double saber! Years after that, he actually came to my wedding.

My character was a HUnewearl with blue hair and white clothing called Hyperion. I always stuck with the same character type (My character on PSZero is as similar to her as possible) and years after PSO I still used the name Hyperion online as my username and the character was used in message board role playing too. I always used sword weapons :biggrin:

I used to run around the mines level grinding exp late at night whilst listening to my CD player. I always had on Sash! Especially the track Hoopstar, which is what ended up being the theme of Hyperion.

At the time, I lived in a flat above some grumpy sod though, and he could apparently hear me playing the game, even when I had headphones on, so he sometimes used to switch the electricity off when I was playing, which was an absolute nightmare as I would then lose all the time spent on it :(

I remember the caves boss, De Rol Le, was the hardest in the game. Couldn't beat him until I was level 17 or above.

I used to get scared of those big Metal Gear like robots with the missiles in Mines 2. They had a particular sound and always lurked in the darkness, and their missiles could kill me in one or two hits.

Then when I reached the ruins, I became terrified of the Del Sabers. The last sections, Ruins 3, really freaked me out as well because of the way the walls pulsated.

The last form of Dark Falz, really fun to play online, due to the fact he could lock on to you, and then if anyone hit him whilst he was locked on to a player, that player would receive damage instead! Good times.

And then I got NOL-ed. The end.
Master hunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Master hunter »

PSO - I remember getting this for the Sonic Adventure 2 Demo that came with it. Blown away by the title. It was just so easy to pick up and play and you could always get a decent game going. I used to keep a diary of what I did on PSO and listed who I met on one of my earliest websites, don't think that's still up.

This was the game that sold online gaming for me. It worked really well with the only real lag being on picking up items. I remember absolutely loving my S-beat blades until some fucker came and froze the game meaning I lost all my items.

Jet Set Radio - Sadly I don't think I owned the original. Bought the sequel but borrowed the original of a friend. I'm not really fond of the "trick" genre though I remember this one being incredibly awesome. The soundtrack, the tension as you tried to enter a large tag with a armed helicopter flying around, the very stylish visuals, all fond memories of what has to be one of the Dreamcast's greatest highlights.

Skies of Arcadia - I've yet to come across a JRPG which is better than Skies. I just wish I had known about soundtrack importing earlier as I would kill for a proper copy of the soundtrack. So good I bought it twice when it was released on the gamecube. Loved the battle system, really highlighted the strategic element of the team spirit bar, especially when you fought the "wanted" enemies. I still remember some of the strategy for beating the clones.