Sonic Adventure for XBLA & PSN

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Yeah I was on the fence about getting this but I thought sod it and sent the missus out today to grab me a points card ready for wednesday. I'll be getting it. "OPEN YOUR HEART, IT'S GONNA BE ALRIGGGHHHT"
Sonic The Drunk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sonic The Drunk »

Yeah, my only disappointment is that I am away at University w/o an XBOX so I have to wait until this weekend to play it. :(
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Initial reviews don't sound too good.

IGN give it 3.5/10: http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/112/1120409p1.html
And 1UP give it D: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181366

It IS pretty old compared to the games we're used to today though, I think they should cut it some slack in terms of preserving the original.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:Initial reviews don't sound too good.

IGN give it 3.5/10: http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/112/1120409p1.html
And 1UP give it D: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181366

It IS pretty old compared to the games we're used to today though, I think they should cut it some slack in terms of preserving the original.
I kinda figured it would get score like that, Sonic Adventure was a great game when it came out but time did not treat it well over the years. It's one of those few games that not even nostalgia can bring it back. The game does has a lot of bugs,issues,camera work ect. The only reason why most people loved it was because he wasn't in a major title for around 5-6 years.

When it was announced it was coming to the Gamecube i was stoked since i got rid of my DC, but for some reason it didnt feel the same to me and in the end it ended up being one of my least played games on the GC.

What SEGA should do is remake it completely fix the issues,camera, ramp up the graphics and make it more playable.
A good example is what Nintendo is doingwith Ocarina of Time for 3DS (But that game didn't have lots a issues but it did have bugs that their fixing and a few other things)
Sonic The Drunk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sonic The Drunk »

That guy is really just a hater, IMO. I know Sonic games haven't been the best over the past few years but this game appears to be what it was meant to be, a port of the original.

Obviously, it's not going to have the same graphics as today's games as it was made over ten years ago, so why give it a 5.0? That would be like giving the original Sonic the Hedgehog a 1/10 for graphics because we don't like 16-bit anymore.

Voice acting has never been all that great, but at least Sega tried. Mario barely speaks and most characters from the Mario series still speak with text boxes.

I think the music of Sonic Adventure was pretty great for 1999.

Also, how does 5.0, 6.5, 6.0, 3.5 and 7.0 average out to 3.5? IGN needz sum math skillz!

They need to judge the game in context, SEGA didn't claim it to be some remake. It's a port. Judge it like you would judge it in 1998-99.

No Regrets!
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Yeah IGN's scoring is a bit weird there. If you add up the score then divide it by the catagories it works out at 5.6/10. Im not sure where they got 3.5 from. I suppose it doesn't matter. I know what I like and I know what I don't. Im well aware of Sonic adventures failings but I still enjoy it regardless and that's the main thing. I'll grab it.

One thing I would say though, I never played the DX version of Sonic. They jazzed up the character models from the dreamcast version didn't they? They've made them all shiny like Sonic and Tails rub each other in baby oil.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Wolfdemon59 wrote: What SEGA should do is remake it completely fix the issues,camera, ramp up the graphics and make it more playable.
I thought that was what they were doing with these re-releases anyway. There goes the last shred of interest I had in these re-releases then. As for the IGN complaints, well...It's IGN: Fine for news, good for features, avoid like the plague for reviews.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

my birthday the 23rd
its released on PSN the 22nd

i know what im buying myself :P
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Well, just downloaded the trial, which is of Emerald Coast, obviously ^_^

It pretty much is the DX version, but with achievements. The graphics look shiny and polished though and it plays well on the 360 pad. I always have trouble using the Dreamcast analogue stick for some reason, but this feels fine to me.

All the old bugs are still there though, so don't go expecting a miracle haha.

But, I read that there will be a DLC that extends it to the DX version, so I am confuzzled. The trial had the camera options from the DX version?
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Im at work at the mo and I tried queuein the game from the xbox live website and I noticed it mentions downloadable content on there. I wondered what it was about. Sounds strange though. I wonder what it's adding?