4 years Sony, at long last...

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

4 years Sony, at long last...

Post by Matty »

According to Siliconera.com, Sony Japan has officially filed a patent for an adapter to make PS3 backwards compatible with PlayStation 2 titles.

To quote on the PS2 to PS3 adapter patent: "Japanese message boards are buzzing about a patent filed by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan for a new generation to previous generation console adapter.

We checked the Japanese Patent database to verify and a patent indeed exists.

A schematic of the proposed adapter (200) shows the device has its own processor, a DVD decoder/emulator, sound processor, and graphic processor

I'm looking forward to this, maybe its sonys last ditch attempt to stop people using the PSGroove (i know i'm tempted & i aint even using groove yet :P )
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

It would make sense, the PS2 can't hang around forever, yet go in any game shop and you'll see shelves full of glorious cheap PS2 games that I will one day eventually get round to catching up on.. Or at least that's the case up here anyway.

Not that second hand games earn them any money.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Patents mean nothing until they're put into production.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Yeah I heard about this. It's an external device you can use to play ps2 games.A bit like a ps2 then really...
mazonemayu
Level 9
Level 9

Post by mazonemayu »

Matty wrote:

A schematic of the proposed adapter (200) shows the device has its own processor, a DVD decoder/emulator, sound processor, and graphic processor

thats so über cool, so they're basically gonna let you pay for a ps2 that you have to hook up to your ps3, megacd-style.... :blink: :blink:

talk about ripping folks off
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

I wish I knew about this earlier, assuming it does make the market. I got an old school PS3 with PS2 backwards compatibility so I won't have to go back and forth between the two.

POST EPILOGUE: Yay! I'm now at level four, represented by my favorite SEGA character EVER!
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...