Looking at Universities...

What it says on the tin...
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Looking at Universities...

Post by Kaito-kun »

So the idea of Uni is bouncing around in my head at the moment for next year; I'm doing a HND in Computing at college at the moment so the logical thing to go for would be something in that field (Although I wouldn't mind giving Japanese a go if I'm really honest...) Does anyone have any suggestions for places to look at? Currently flicking through a Newcastle prospectus. Edinburgh looks nice too. Anywhere I should avoid or look into? Keep in mind that things would be a lot cheaper if I suck to a Scottish university.
Shockerbey
level 11
level 11

Post by Shockerbey »

Kaito-kun wrote:So the idea of Uni is bouncing around in my head at the moment for next year; I'm doing a HND in Computing at college at the moment so the logical thing to go for would be something in that field (Although I wouldn't mind giving Japanese a go if I'm really honest...) Does anyone have any suggestions for places to look at? Currently flicking through a Newcastle prospectus. Edinburgh looks nice too. Anywhere I should avoid or look into? Keep in mind that things would be a lot cheaper if I suck to a Scottish university.
holy crap im doing the exactly the same thing mate, id suggests queens its pretty good. and its like a half boat trip from stran. what year u on for the hnd
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Shockerbey wrote:holy crap im doing the exactly the same thing mate, id suggests queens its pretty good. and its like a half boat trip from stran. what year u on for the hnd
I'm into my second year. And where's Queen's?
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I've heard good things from the Scottish Uni's like Abertay, although I can't recommend any specific ones for computing.

When looking at Uni's, see if they do a separate language course. My Uni at Northumbria offered part time classes such as Japanese which last for a semester and they're a great introduction to the language.

Obviously London is more expensive.
Shockerbey
level 11
level 11

Post by Shockerbey »

Kaito-kun wrote:I'm into my second year. And where's Queen's?
Northern Ireland so it aint that far away
Retrix
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Retrix »

Kaito-kun wrote:So the idea of Uni is bouncing around in my head at the moment for next year; I'm doing a HND in Computing at college at the moment so the logical thing to go for would be something in that field (Although I wouldn't mind giving Japanese a go if I'm really honest...) Does anyone have any suggestions for places to look at? Currently flicking through a Newcastle prospectus. Edinburgh looks nice too. Anywhere I should avoid or look into? Keep in mind that things would be a lot cheaper if I suck to a Scottish university.
If you are looking to study Computing, I would highly recommend Edinburgh. I studied Informatics as an outside subject there in first year, so I can give you a first-hand account if you like. It was well worth it just for the hilarious yet educational Functional Programming lectures by Phil Wadler: if you want to get an idea, last year's lectures were recorded and put on the Internet here.

You can certainly do Japanese at Edinburgh too, and as long as the timetables don't clash, you could do both Computing and Japanese for a year or two to give you time to decide which to complete to degree level.

http://www.inf.ed.ac.uk/teaching/
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments ... ergraduate
There was an echidna from Vegas
Whose hairstyle was totally outrageous
When asked by the cops
Why the dreadlocks
He told them the idea was Sega's

​— The Typing of the Dead
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I know that MMU do a lot of computing courses as im taking one there myself.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

i think hull do some computing

i know they do a jap course as my mates doing it....