What games have technically impressed you?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

What games have technically impressed you?

Post by richarddavies »

I was just thinking about games that made me go "wow" the first time I saw something that I thought was technically impressive. Do you have any games from any system that really impressed you with it's graphics or an effect that blew you away. Two that spring to mind for me was Max payne on the game boy advance and Sonic 3d on the mega drive. Max impressed the crap out of me the first time I played it as it retains the complete voice script from the console versions. I never even knew you could fit something like that on a gba cart. And I thought Sonic 3d was a pretty poor game but i reset that game over and over when I first got it just to see the video intro. It was the first cart game I saw with video on it.
mazonemayu
Level 9
Level 9

Post by mazonemayu »

I know its been said over a million times, but nothing has ever technically impressed me as much as shenmue. considering time & place that the game was made; anything that is gonna impress me now should at least look real ;)
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

I'd have to say Fallout 3/Oblivion 4 for this gen

and Gta 3 for the previous gen

the detail of these games was just amazing, to think so much detail fits on something so small (and with F3 how massive the land is)

also, i lol to myself everytime i see the Sonic 3D opening, its sooo pixxelated but so amazing for the time

oh how technology has evolved :)
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

For this gen, it has to go to Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. Seriously, watching the trailers looks awesome, but live? Even better. <3

And as of last gen, I think it has to go to Duke Nukem 3D, it's graphics for the time were astonishing. And of course, it involved the pure Testosterone man power that was Duke.

And I agree with the masses here, the Sonic 3D intro made me lol even harder than I imagined. xD
I live here now!
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

This is going to be a really obvious one but it blew my mind the first time I saw Crysis. Another game that I was beyond impressed with was back in the day when Donkey Kong Country 1 came out for the SNES. The music for a SNES game was and still is absolutely phenominal.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

The game that impressed me the most was Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive. Before that, I had only played the Master System version, and seeing the contrast between graphics really astounded me.

NiGHTS into Dreams also really impressed me. It was the first time I saw motion video (I skipped Sonic 3D haha) and even though it doesn't look that good now, it was amazing the first time I saw it. The gameplay was also unique and was the first time I used an analogue controller. Plus, I went all the way to Sega World to get my copy ^_^

I also remember playing Soul Calibur in the arcade, as I was a big fan of the original, Soul Blade/Edge. When I heard it was coming to the Dreamcast, I knew then I just had to have it no matter what. Then when I saw it in a game shop on a demo pod, and saw for myself how arcade graphics had now been translated properly on to a console, I knew then how awesome the Dreamcast was gonna be!

Edit: Actually, the Dreamcast itself was technically impressive. It was the first time I used the Internet, the first time I went in a chatroom, the first time I made a website, the first time I played an online game.. etc etc. And don't forget the VMU!
Robochao
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Robochao »

Treasure Co. Ltd impresses me with every game on every system.

Those crazy crazy developers.
Leox001
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Leox001 »

This generation, Crysis and Street Fighter IV. Crysis for photorealistic enviroments and SFIV for cartoon perfection.

Last generation, Half Life 2, the ammount of detail on the facial expressions is something I'm still impressed with today.

Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64, it looks even better than some Dreamcast games.

Yoshi's Island for SNES, the best use of the FX chip ever.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Operation Wolf in the arcades. It had this big plastic uzi with a red button on it that threw a grenade. Well impressive when you're 7.
Tic Tac, sir?
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

I thought Ikaruga was pretty cool the first time I saw it. Sounds silly but I was all like "2D SHMUP..IN ..3D?..or 2d..with 3d backgrounds...IT'S EPIC"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.