RadioSEGA Review: Sonic Adventure (Xbox Live Arcade)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

RadioSEGA Review: Sonic Adventure (Xbox Live Arcade)

Post by Tru »

Sonic Adventure

When Sega announced that Dreamcast games would finally be making their way to Xbox Live and Playstation Network, a wave of excitement flooded the Internet. The number of possible classic games that would soon be available wetted our appetites as the first two ports were announced; Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure, the first 3D outing of a speedy blue hedgehog that has experienced numerous 3D iterations since. What was promised was a faithful port of these Dreamcast originals with some updated visuals and support for achievements, trophies and leaderboards. In that respect, Sonic Adventure delivers exactly what was promised. As well as remaining true to the eleven year old original, leaderboards and achievements are now available for your own pleasure, and a few other things have changed as well.

Those expecting a complete overhaul may well be disappointed, as the game itself is more or less the same Sonic Adventure that we have come to love, or hate, over the years, depending on your previous experience with the game. Gameplay is split between the six characters of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Big the Cat and E102 Gamma, each character representing a different style of gameplay, whether it’s racing against Sonic, hunting for pieces of the master emerald, or, ahem, fishing, there is plenty of variety as well as sub games and virtual pet raising. Whilst I feel like I can’t defend poor old Big, the levels within Sonic Adventure are fun and not drawn out. I remember hating Knuckle’s treasure hunting from the sequel, yet in the original each stage is small enough to be completed within a few minutes, resulting in less frustration.

The adventure fields which can be explored are small enough not to become tedious, with exception to the maze-like jungle area of Mystic Ruins. Despite some complaints that it is difficult to work out where to go next in order to advance the story, there are monitors and glowing orbs which give obvious hints and tips, plus a summary of the main story is available should you quit and continue. Other tweaks have been added to the game in order to make it more user friendly, such as extra character help and tutorials within the options menu which are accessible at any time within the main menu.

Other additions to the Xbox Live Arcade port is the ability to choose between the auto and free camera as introduced within Sonic DX, although the camera can still remain a problem at times, and story cut-scenes can also be skipped. The Chao raising sub-game of Sonic Adventure has also received some upgrades, such as additional graphics within the gardens and race areas; the ability to name Chao’s and view their stats, and also the addition of the Chao Black Market from Sonic Adventure 2, which gives extra life to the Chao rearing.

The obvious noticeable differences lie within the graphics. It’s easy to see that the game has been polished somewhat, the character models themselves seem to have been given special attention and are de-blockified. However, it’s not until you compare the port with the Dreamcast version that you realise just how much of a HD facelift the game has received. It may not have the graphics that games created today have, but it is pleasing enough on the eye to be enjoyed. Sadly the port is bound by the evils of irremovable borders, which effectively stops the game from being displayed in widescreen, but this isn’t a massive problem.

But now comes the question.. Is this updated version of Sonic Adventure worth buying? Especially if you’re lucky enough to own the Dreamcast original?

I think so. Sega have delivered a port which covers all that was promised. A whole decade has passed since Sonic Adventure was first released; most of us grew up alongside Sega’s last console. The expectations of gamers has changed a lot since then and if it was to be judged alongside those games of today, I feel that it would obviously fall short. I had real fun playing through the game again though, and it wasn’t just nostalgia that powered that enjoyment. I remember how hard this game used to be when I was younger, and how easier it felt now. If you run with Sonic, he’ll give you a smooth ride, if you go against the path which the game sets you, then glitches will see you put back.

None of the gameplay itself has changed, warts and all. But honestly, those expecting a remake have missed the point of re-releasing classic Dreamcast games entirely. If you really didn’t like the original, then obviously, this is not for you. But if you missed out on Sonic’s first 3D adventure, then it is well worth trying.

For 800 points there is a lot of content here, from the six characters to medal collecting and also download content which upgrades the game even further to the DX version, Sonic Adventure on XBLA is good value. And let’s face it.. Your Dreamcast copy may not last forever.

Overall:
4/5
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Only just noticed this review. Nicely done Capn. Pretty much sums up my feelings really. I've always been one to take Sonic adventures failings with a pinch of salt so i've really enjoyed going back to it on XBLA.
Page
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Page »

Great review Capn' It is just as I left it :) My DC version just doesn't work anymore, this was a no brainer-buy
________
SILVERSURFER VAPORIZER
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Thanks guys ^_^

I'm still having fun with it, but feel its a good port. It's not a remake, obviously, but I certainly prefer it over the Dreamcast original.

I need to change medal to emblem in there though, I dunno why I wrote medal :P
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Why didn't my review get bigged up on the site's main page like this?
Tic Tac, sir?
7Force
Level 10
Level 10

Post by 7Force »

Great review but part of me does not want to buy it since i already own it on the Dremcast even though i played the XBLA demo and liked it. May buy it at some point but i am undecided right now.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Got to completely disagree with his :O

Sonic Adventure still to this day remains one of the worst Sonic games ever released. Everything about the gameplay is horrid - lack of direction in the obscure overworld, rubbish controls, terrible camera, uninspired gameplay sections, stupid story (well, not like other sonic games are any better but...you know).

The best moments from the game are those that require next to no input from the player, what does that tell you?

The only reason the game ever seems to get rated is because people that owned it upon release have those rose-tinted specs. Honestly, even with my un-bias cap on I just can't see a single redeeming feature about it.

Well written review :P but I disagree
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Killer French Bread wrote:Why didn't my review get bigged up on the site's main page like this?
Because this is a review from a member of our Review Team.
ShadowPhantom
level 11
level 11

Post by ShadowPhantom »

Rayne wrote:The only reason the game ever seems to get rated is because people that owned it upon release have those rose-tinted specs.

I only just got the game recently, but I feel the same way as eveyone else. It's a great game.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Rayne wrote:Got to completely disagree with his :O

Sonic Adventure still to this day remains one of the worst Sonic games ever released. Everything about the gameplay is horrid - lack of direction in the obscure overworld, rubbish controls, terrible camera, uninspired gameplay sections, stupid story (well, not like other sonic games are any better but...you know).

The best moments from the game are those that require next to no input from the player, what does that tell you?

The only reason the game ever seems to get rated is because people that owned it upon release have those rose-tinted specs. Honestly, even with my un-bias cap on I just can't see a single redeeming feature about it.

Well written review :P but I disagree
C'mon, Sonic 06 is by far worse XD

To be honest, playing through the game again the only problems I had was with the camera not being in the right place at the worst time, but thankfully it didn't happen too often, and I rarely died as a result of bad programming or glitches. I could complete the levels fairly easy without dying, whereas the bugs of Sonic 06 meant I was dying at least twice per level.

I did kinda review the game as a port of the Dreamcast version, rather than as a total stand alone game. I think it's a good port, although obviously it's based on a game that's a decade old.

Glad you liked the review though ^_^