Vegetarianism

What it says on the tin...
Sonic The Drunk
Level 3
Level 3

Vegetarianism

Post by Sonic The Drunk »

Out of curiosity, anyone here vegetarian? I am thinking about trying it for medical benefits. I've had a surgical wound that won't completely heal, and it's been over a year so the doctor thinks a diet change may help.

So, if anyone is a "veggie" please give tips.

No Regrets!
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I'm a vegetarian, although I'm not sure what tips I could give you. For health reasons, even just cutting out red meat whilst eating fish and poultry would be beneficial. Even on a vegetarian diet though you can still eat badly through junk food and ready made meals.

Best thing to do is gradually move your diet to vegetarian if you want by eating more fruit and veg and maybe alternating days. The only real problem with a vegetarian diet is a lack of iron, which you'll need to get from cereals and green leafy vegetables, but iron is more of a problem for women than men.
mazonemayu
Level 9
Level 9

Post by mazonemayu »

been a veggie for over 15 years now & I hardly ever get ill + I heal very fast (& I get hurt quite frequently coz I skate pools)

beans are also a good source of iron, as the cap said, don't shift your diet over night, do it gradually
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I use to be Pescatarian for up to 2 years. Im a meat eater now (hate saying that) though im considering being Pesca again cause im always getting ill atm :/
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I was a Pescatarian when I transitioned to Vegetarian. I've experimented a lot though, including being Vegan and even Fruitarian for a time! I'm useless at organising my food though, so even though I rarely get ill myself, I kept suffering from anaemia, thus I went back to meat for a while, and now Vegetarian again. I hope to go Vegan again at some point, but not until I sort out my diet :P

It's a personal choice though, and I rarely talk about it or view my opinions on it, yet plenty of people often comment on my diet, which is odd, as I personally don't care about theirs ;)
Sonic The Drunk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sonic The Drunk »

Yeah, I wasn't planning on doing it overnight, but it seems like a good idea.

No Regrets!
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Was in effect a vegetarian for a chunk of my life as my family is, but I'd eat the odd bit of meat like stuff on a pizza or or some bacon - the processed stuff that isn't too grizzly, generally. These days I eat fish just because it makes life so much easier in terms of getting enough protein (you can only tolerate so much adzuki bean bake). Can't eat proper meat such as steaks still though; I'll probably never get the appetite for red meat now.
Tic Tac, sir?
mazonemayu
Level 9
Level 9

Post by mazonemayu »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:yet plenty of people often comment on my diet, which is odd, as I personally don't care about theirs ;)
screw em, they just don't know any better. when I met my gf this friend of hers kept saying how I was gonna die if I didn't start eating animals & stuff. ;)

I'm still here & healty as ever, he's gone a fattie though...
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Well I'm still fat, so it's not complete proof that being a veggie makes you think haha.

I've met some pretty moronic Vegans too, mind. We have a green festival up here every year which serve a whole rang of veggie-friendly foods, and I remember these teenage girls pointing at this fat guy and saying "He's too fat to be a Vegan, all Vegans are thin!" :P
mazonemayu
Level 9
Level 9

Post by mazonemayu »

well, I didn't say that all vegans are thin (a friend of mine is huge too :P )

but you know what I mean, its a different kind of fat (in his case mostly thanks to beer :P )