Post by crippenstation »

SegaMark wrote: :biggrin:

Everyone knows my answer, and why?

- Expose
- Time Machine
- Spaces
- Security
- Build quality

...everything is better, really. I hate having to touch Windows machines since I switched to OS X.
You forgot one thing - it's friendliness to creation of media-type programs. I really enjoy using the Adobe Creative Suite using Macs and it's much cleaner and friendly to use than PCs, which you HAVE to use the taskbar to go from program to program when necessary (or you can alt-tab if you're a keyboard shortcut savvy person...)
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
MrEthernex
Level 10
Level 10

Post by MrEthernex »

I'm a PC man myself. I've got nothing against Macs, but I've grown up with PCs since I was born. I work better with them and PCs do more of the stuff I want to do (aka gaming and tech shite). Customization and upgrading are another plus to PCs.

Like I said, I've got nothing against Macs. I think they're really good for those who don't plan on getting into the hardware side that PCs have to offer. Macs are highly user friendly with and easy user interface, and the performance is smooth with little errors (and even those aren't a pain in the ass). Macs are compatible with most Windows extensions out of the box (can't say the same about vise versa), which is a huge plus on Mac's side.

In the end, Macs and PCs are evenly matched in my books. It just matters on who you are and what you plan to do with your computer.
Kraiola
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Kraiola »

I like both PC and Mac for a lot of reasons.
Kellydreamcast
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kellydreamcast »

I've chosen Mac simply because it's more reliable than a PC, they do last longer and you ARE getting what you pay for. I own both Macs and PCs, I own a iMac G3 which is 11 years old and it runs better than my dads 2 year old laptop running windows XP.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Silvertoad99 wrote:I like both PC and Mac for a lot of reasons.
Care to explain why and thus make your post a valid contribution to the thread?
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

At this moment in time I'm gonna have to say PC. I've used a mac but I couldn't get use to the only one button on the mouse. Plus I just find PC's a lot easier to use. I'm using mac's for programming in uni. So this could quickly change.
The Captain
Level 8
Level 8

Post by The Captain »

PC. I've owned iMacs, a MacBook and iPods (still got a G3 Nano), and more importantly I work with Macs creating local television. They're a nightmare. Final Cut Pro is alright, needs work, but it's alright. However it's constantly let down by the Macs and these ain't no cheap macs either; they're Mac Pros and Powermacs. Whoever said Macs never crash needs a kicking. In addition, build quality of Apple product is terrible. I look after my belongings with great care, yet in weeks of ownership I've ended up with bits of plastic coming off macbooks, ruined iPod screens and keys coming off of keyboards. In addition, I hate how the OS treats you like an idiot, wording things simply and making it as hard as possible for you to change core things (Command Prompt/C:Windows style) because, hey, I'm a thick Mac user who doesn't GET computers, I don't need to see that! It honestly feels like a Fisher Price play laptop, or at best one of those "netbook" OSs that just have a main menu with "Internet - Writer - Email - Messenger" in big icons, and nothing else.

In additional addition, I hate how they change things just to be different, which doesn't normally result in a good idea. The old soapbar mice that catch the wire beneath them. The dodgy "floating keys" that snap off easily. The only thing they've ever put on their products that I really like is the magnetic power adaptor - which they got from something else.

I'm NOT some anti-Apple fanboy, I'm just massively disillusioned with their products. And if anybody says that anything more than a quarter of their price tag is justified, I will happily take their mac money and burn it, since they can't be responsible with finances.

Of course, PCs get on my nerves too. Actually, no: they got on my nerves. XP on old, DDR2-etc-based hardware was slow, creaky, you needed to pack it with antiviruses and firewalls and all sorts. Then I built a quad-core 3Ghz+ DDR3-based HDMI-output machine and stuck Windows 7 on it. What a load off! It's shiny and new, and more importantly it's far faster, and far more secure - gone is Zonealarm, Avast, AVG etc. Windows Firewall actually does the job perfectly in 7, and has been for months. I only installed Microsoft Security Essentials for peace of mind, and they runs and updates silently in the background, it's like it's not there. No "HEY DUUUUUDE, A FUCKIN' VIRUSSSS, YO!" like Avast.

The most basic "entry-level" all-in-one iMac is £1000. The ultra-super "you can't afford a Mac so here's a "CHEAP AND CHEERFUL" alternative" Mac Mini is £650. A single-core 700mhz G4 iMac comes in at about £385 from reputable refurb shops! Granted, my tower has onboard ATI Radeon HD4200 video as I don't play games (It does, however, perfectly stream 1080p video over HDMI and work with photoshop and video editing - For my needs, it's just as good as if it DID have a massive card in) but with that exception my self-built tower is faster, more compatible, more powerful, and with some shopping around, came in at...

£280.

The only conceivable reasons I can see for buying a Mac over a Win7 PC is that you're either rich, stupid, rich and stupid, or you're so peer pressured by fashion that you're the kind of person who skints themselves on a £150 River Island jacket that looks exactly like a £20 Primark equivalent.

You can take the £1000 you could spend on the cheapest, crappest 21" iMac they have, and instead build the same tower as mine, add a great video card and buy a brand new 42" 1080p LG TV to hook it up to, and come away not only with a faster, more powerful machine than their dearest £1650 iMac, not only with a screen 15 inches bigger than their biggest £1650 iMac, but you'll ALSO come away with about £80 in change!!!

Jesus. When I started this post I was just confused and let down by Macs. Now I've typed all that, the idea of anyone buying a Mac over a PC just boggles my fucking mind.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I'll give you a valid contribution to the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qlhU_-9vWo
Tic Tac, sir?
ResidentSD
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by ResidentSD »

I'm definitely a PC guy (plus one of the few people who actually liked Windows Vista).

I've been exposed to OSX quite a bit recently as I have it installed on my PC and produce podcasts in Garageband, but I frankly don't get the attraction of OSX. I don't think it looks as nice as Windows 7 (in fact, like the 'supposedly good looking' iOS, I think it's very boring looking), I don't think it's as easy to use and as powerful as Windows 7, the software catalogue is vastly superior, plus the platform is a lot more open to developers to do what they want to do with it.

The biggest thing going for the Mac platform is redoubtably the hardware. Almost without exception, they are very well made and are very easy on the eye to look at. However, they are ridiculously expensive and you don't have the same flexibility of hardware options that you get when buying or building a PC. Oh, and the other thing that annoys me about Mac's, especially in the MacBook line, is they barely have a standard, widely used port on them. They have USB, but that's about it. Other than that you have mini-HDMI, mini-DVI, mini-DisplayPort etc. Are they there because they save space and look nicer? Or are they there so you have to buy an adapter to use them? I'll let you decide...

However, it's worth throwing in the caviat that I prefer running Windows 7 or Vista to OSX. If I had to pick between OSX and XP, I'd probably be cuddling up to Mr Jobs.... [God, that's a horrible thought!]
The Captain
Level 8
Level 8

Post by The Captain »

ResidentSD wrote:However, it's worth throwing in the caviat that I prefer running Windows 7 or Vista to OSX. If I had to pick between OSX and XP, I'd probably be cuddling up to Mr Jobs.... [God, that's a horrible thought!]
7 was definitely the change from black and white to colour. I liked OSX better before 7 and, key, when I'd never used a Mac before. New and shiny = appeal, see.

By the way, I hate how Jobs is supposed to be the "cool" Bill Gates. The man tucks his t-shirts in for God's sake! Saying Steve Jobs is cool compared to Bill Gates is like saying a Black Widow bite is healthy compared to cyanide. At least Gates is what you see, a colossal nerd. Jobs (and I've read books on his early professional life) is more like the closet living-in-the-basement nerd who never gets a haircut/wash and buys Nevermind by Nirvana in an attempt to become less of a bully target, in the process genuinely believing that he does have some street cred and charisma.

Plus his surname is slang for fellatio.