SEGA de-listing Sonic games with low scores

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

SEGA de-listing Sonic games with low scores

Post by RWDebara »

On SEGA news site and Sonic sites (SEGABits,Sonic Stadium, etc.) just found info that supposedly SEGA is de-listing Sonic games with "average to low scores".
mcvuk.com wrote:Poor or average Sonic The Hedgehog games can no longer be bought new at retail.
Sega has de-listed certain Sonic titles in order to ‘increase the value of the brand’ and avoid confusing the consumer.
The firm plans to launch three new Sonic games this Christmas – Sonic Colours and Sonic Free Riders at retail, plus the episodic Sonic 4 via XBLA, PSN and WiiWare.
“Any Sonic game with an average Metacritic has been de-listed,” explained Sega’s SVP of EMEA Jurgen Post.
“We have to do this and increase the value of the brand. This will be very important when more big Sonic releases arrive in the future.

Sega retires titles with average Metacritic scores to increase brand value and avoid franchise fatigue

Poor or average Sonic The Hedgehog games can no longer be bought new at retail.
Sega has de-listed certain Sonic titles in order to ‘increase the value of the brand’ and avoid confusing the consumer.
The firm plans to launch three new Sonic games this Christmas – Sonic Colours and Sonic Free Riders at retail, plus the episodic Sonic 4 via XBLA, PSN and WiiWare.
“Any Sonic game with an average Metacritic has been de-listed,” explained Sega’s SVP of EMEA Jurgen Post.
“We have to do this and increase the value of the brand. This will be very important when more big Sonic releases arrive in the future.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41217/Sub-standard-Sonics-de-listed#after_ad
“We could make a lot of money on back-catalogue Sonic titles, but let’s keep the number of Sonic games available under control. Otherwise you can have cannibalisation. If there are ten Sonic games on the shelves, with people seeing Sonic Rush DS or Sonic Rush Adventure, this may not help our overall strategy.”
Sonic’s fanbase ranges from young gamers to core fans who played the games back in the early ‘90s. Sega is targeting both audiences with its multiple titles this Christmas.
“Colours will play well to our younger Sonic fanbase, but should also appeal to the older fans once they realise there are no unwanted surprises,” added brand director David Corless.
“It’s the first console title for a while that’s clearly influenced by Sonic’s platform past but also keeps the series moving forward with new ideas and innovations that complement that legacy. Sonic 4 on the other hand is old school and primarily for those core fans who remember the originals. But there are also a number of younger gamers who’ve recently discovered the classics on the iPhone or XBLA, PSN and WiiWare so it’ll appeal to them as well.”
SonicStadium wrote:The guys at NeoGAF have made a list of the games that will remain on store shelves. Keep in mind that this is speculation at the moment:[INDENT]OK, just looking through metacritic, these games are being pulled (current gen only):
Sonic the Hedgehog 2006
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic Classic Collection DS
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Sonic Rivals
Sonic Rivals 2
and these are staying:
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection
[/INDENT]
(im sure not all these games are out but just to give you an idea if this is true)

Few Links:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41217/Sub-sta ... -de-listed

http://www.segabits.com/?p=4766

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/2010/1 ... om-retail/

Anyway don't know what to make of this.
Your thoughts?

ShadowPhantom
level 11
level 11

Post by ShadowPhantom »

I happened to like Unleashed, Black Knight, and the Classic Collection. Glad I got a copy of Chronicles already. Why would they pull Unleashed? Despite the night levels I quite enjoyed it.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Two reasons. 1. They're getting self conscious and 2. They don't want to keep producing games that aren't selling well.

Classics Collection isn't that bad though other than Sonic 2..Sonic 2 suffers from some very obvious framerate issues and it kind of ruins the experience for me.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Wrath Oskvro wrote:Two reasons. 1. They're getting self conscious and 2. They don't want to keep producing games that aren't selling well.

Classics Collection isn't that bad though other than Sonic 2..Sonic 2 suffers from some very obvious framerate issues and it kind of ruins the experience for me.
The only framerate issues i encountered in the game is when Sonic gets hit and loses his rings and in the Chemical Plant Zone when the camera can't catch up to Sonic.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Really? I noticed the framerate skip around or drop the entire time I was playing it. It made the game feel slower than what it should be. And the chemical plant's my favorite level :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Noooooo! I dont want them to do this. I still need to get sonic classic collection, Sonic and mario by the olympic winter games and Sonic 06(I still need to buy a Xbox360). Not fare! oh boy! what am I gono do....

Damn it! and I just wanted to waste my money on pre-ordering Sonic Colors (I want that hat!). Now what!
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

There is such thing as Amazon and Ebay still..o_o I don't see it as a very big deal honestly, other than that those games may be collectors items in about 10 years or so.
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

It's a little early to retire Black Knight, plus that title isn't really a traditional Sonic title, so why?

It's also surprising that they're still going to sell new copies of Sonic Rush, considering that one has been out for five years now.

Also, hasn't Sonic '06 been retired already?
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

^Yeah I know. I Can't find Sonic 06 anymore unless it is pre-owned or I go to a collector's shop.
Wrath Oskvro wrote:There is such thing as Amazon and Ebay still..o_o I don't see it as a very big deal honestly, other than that those games may be collectors items in about 10 years or so.
Maybe for you it's not much of a big deal but for me is. My parrents to like internet shopping and don't trust it. That's why I am not allowed to do internet shopping and ebay and amazon or pretty much useless! :mad:

And Just today I went and pre-ordered Sonic Colors (Because of the hat!). Now I have wasted my pocket money and won't be able to buy another sonic game for months.

I hope this this won't happen in Australia and the games stay.
coolman2424
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coolman2424 »

in NZ i have a shop that sells preowned games so this is not a big deal for me
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\move\art\Nrestsew2b.jpg