Arcade Cabinets

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Arcade Cabinets

Post by Kaito-kun »

I've decided, I want an arcade cabinet dammit! It's a shame that I have no idea where to look for one. Ideally I'd be after the Japanese style candy cabinet, does anyone have any tips as to where to look for the cab/boards or prices? Thankies.
Maxi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Maxi »

I made my own a year or so ago and it was really easy, mind you I wasn't looking to making anything that looks amazing but it does the job fine and wasn't too hard. I suck at woodwork etc so I found it daunting at first but it really was very simple :D

As for buying a cabinet I can't remmeber any websites I looked at that sold spares and repairs but I'm sure there is one in Yorkshire somewhere, the only problem with buying a full cabinet is transporting it to your house :p

Check out this website for build kits/controllers etc:

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/

I managed to get an x-arcade stick really cheap off ebay (£60), so maybe you might have the same luck if you were to build your own?
baraka6
Level 6
Level 6

Post by baraka6 »

The best way is to make your own without a doubt, least then you know what sort of cabinet you want, custom it to your own tastes, really only needs a g00gl3 search and youll find lots of sites!

im going to build my own 2 or 4 player cabinet next year along with a touchscreen jukebox
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Building one is a nice idea, but I'm not the best person when it comes to handiwork and I tend to start things and never get around to finishing them. ^_^ ""
Maxi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Maxi »

Either way making a cabinet is alot of work especially old ones as your need to get a working screen with the right connections etc as it isn't the same as a PC monitor/TV. Really making your own isn't much work at all once you start doing it, the biggest task if you couldn't have any power tools wouldn't be cutting the side panels. I think even B&Q will cut a design out for you if you give them the right dimensions while your buying the wood.
baraka6
Level 6
Level 6

Post by baraka6 »

maxi, i never knew they would custom cut wood for you, i think ill ask them the next time im there, save me doing it
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Ebay is your best bet

or

If your serious about this i can call a few other people & ask about as
a fair few of them are near the border so should be ideal for you
TF73
Level 9
Level 9

Post by TF73 »

I would also recommend Ebay or searching for local firms that rents arcade machines. They often also sells machines that is in good working condition. Atleast that is how I bought my arcade machines.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

I don't think I thought this through properly when I posted this. I doubt I actually have the funds nor a place to keep a cabinet...But thanks for the tips anyway; they're interesting to look over if/when I get the chance to obtain one. ^__^
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Well if you do need one drop us a pm & i'll have a butchers see what people can dig up

I was offered some empty touch screen fruit machines cabs (£10 a pop) but they're down London >.> Would have liked one to mount a monitor in :P