Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Best and Worst Characters

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
sonicfanRICH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by sonicfanRICH »

I wish you guys could try the hacked version of Brawl. There's a version where they modified it to play like Melee and even put back in some of the old characters that got left out. I like to play the Plussery version with all kinds of crazy changes which actually makes the game even more unfair haha.

My favorite characters are Kirby, Pikachu, Sonic, Captain Falcon, and Toon Link.
Worst characters are Snake, R.O.B, Mr. G&W, and Olimar.
ImageImage
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

Killer French Bread wrote:What competition do you think Brawl is up for 'going after' exactly then? Pit Fighter? Primal Rage?

Or what was that one they always had on Gamesmaster where the Scottish guy would throw fireballs out of his kilt?
*facepalm*

Your bad attempts at trolling me are slightly getting out of hand again, KFB. Just notin'.

Anyway, no, the game is not going after these. It's a hybrid between fighter and platformer. Expecting it to be a full-fledged fighter is stupid. Of course it's not going to be like that.
The developers deliberately removed things like hitstun and such to make the game a less "srs bsns" fighter because they felt that it was opposing the light-hearted nature of the game and its intentions (having fun with a few friends). As a party game. Melee was intended like this as well, but it was handled like a fighter such as Street Fighter by many people, and that was what Sakurai, the executive producer, didn't like. So he removed many aspects of the game that would enhance gameplay like this, such as stoically learning combos and performing them like a robot over and over again.

To repeat: The game is not supposed to be taken seriously as a fighting game. It's supposed to be a party game, like all games in the Smash Bros. series.

Now with that out of the way, the game still has competitive value. Yes, it is not comparable with what Street Fighter or Tekken offer. If you want to play a fighting game with big technical depth, go play those.

Brawl, on the other hand, requires patience, tactic and knowledge. You can't just "mash buttons" like Rayne says, unless you are playing against utter noobs. Or online. Then that might work.
And if you're getting hit by the same move over and over again, it's your own fault, then you're too bad of a player to avoid it. Cause in Street Fighter you're not going to run into every single fireball your enemy throws and say you can win by just mashing buttons, right? Instead, you learn how to dodge or block the move.

I repeat: Brawl does NOT have as much technical depth as other fighters, but it doesn't try to. However, it has far more tactical depth. And I repeat: If you rather want to train your muscle memory, play Tekken, there you have 10-hit-combos.

Also, just for the record, I'm not bashing on other fighting games. I LOVE fighting games, and I play Tekken 6 highly competitive in a clan and whatnot (though I'm not specifically good at it since I don't put much time into training), and also play quite a bit of Street Fighter (though not as much lately). But people bashing Brawl as being easy/stupid/whatever because it doesn't have what they expect a fighting game to have pisses me off.

@Reknoc:
I do agree with the online mode. That sucks. Never tried to defend that, either way. =P
"The sub-structure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components. Behind atoms we find electrons - and behind electrons, quarks. Each layer unravelled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries."
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, For I Have Tasted The Fruit
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Yea I know, I just wanted to throw that out there.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Option wrote:The game's controls are everything but unresponsive.
And slow =/= bad.

Brawl is definitely not Melee, yes, but instead of stupidly memorizing combos, you now have to use tactics and actual gameplay.

What part of "flat platform with 2 floating platforms" or "flat platform with a slightly tilting slope" is too complicated for you?
If you don't understand the stages then you're just stupid, sorry to put it like that.

Brawl is in some parts more balanced than SSBM.

If you play the game with items, you can't expect it to be balanced. That's like picking up a random MUGEN roster and complaining it's not balanced.

That said, the game is anything but button-mashing.

I laugh at how people are too much of idiots to realize that this game DOES have value as a fighting game and that it IS deep. Yes, it's no Street Fighter, or Tekken, but that's not even what it's trying to go after. So stick your "omg it suxx cuz it haz no combos every moron can lern and mash into the controlla! tis gaem is stoopidz cuz i has 2 learn how to play it!" to where the sun never shines, thank you very much.

For the first time, I agree with Option. SSBB was a great game. The only thing that is slow and anoying is the online playing. I liked it all! All the achivements make you bizzy for years if you want to finish it 100%. The game was I think number 1 in fighting games wasnt it? I think it was number 1 in something... -_-
Anyway, yeah, the game is great. Don't know why you guys complain about it. ;)
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

No. 1 Disappoinment of the Year? No. 1 Being abit redundant since both of its much superiour predecessors are available to play on the Wii? No. 1 Don't put Lucas in there you total pricks?

Edit: I guess it could have been the best fighter released that year. But coming first in a one man race isn't that impressive.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Reknoc wrote:No. 1 Don't put Lucas in there you total pricks?
Surely you could use that logic about Marth in melee?
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

Better Lucas than Ike. :F
"The sub-structure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components. Behind atoms we find electrons - and behind electrons, quarks. Each layer unravelled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries."
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, For I Have Tasted The Fruit
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

^Don't forget Ness! :P
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Earthbound at least got an official release. And Marth in Melee meant we got Fire Emblem over here. It was way too late for Nintendo to fix their mistake and give us an official Mother 3 release.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

So aside from the rabid fanboy, we're fairly agreed it's unbalanced then? Good.

It's a fighting game that they tried to sparkle with platformer magic and failed to an epic degree. It's like trying to play halo with a friggin steering wheel. When it gets to the point that you need to stop fighting each other on a stage in order to continuously jump upward you start to wonder just why you started in the first place.

When it comes to button mashing, it's hard to say. Like any game it requires tactics but when the controls don't work I stop caring and mash away. It sure works on whatever sections I've played through thus far anyway.

The ammount of clone characters is also pretty embarassing. 3 Landmasters? Really?

I had fun with it with some custom matches but it's definitely not a great game...Nintendo tried to throw absolutely everything in and forgot that if a game isn't actually fun to play, there's little incentive to play everything all the way through.

To get back on topic though. The best Character is Roy.

Wait? He was taken out? F*ck you Nintendo. It's Link then.