Favorite Controller

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...

What is your favorite controller?

NES
No votes
SNES
6%
N64
11%
GameCube
11%
Xbox/360
22%
Sony PS1/2/3
6%
Sega Genesis
6%
Sega Saturn
22%
Arcade Sticks (specify which one)
6%
Other (specify)
11%

Total votes: 18

TF73
Level 9
Level 9

Post by TF73 »

Biggest sonic fan wrote:I never played the DC before. But I have seen it and it's controller and I don't get one thing. What is that little screen on the controller?

The screen you see is from the VMU unit (visual memory unit). Some games shows different information there and you can also use it as a handheld as some games were made for it.

You can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMU
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

mazonemayu wrote:thats why they put a little hole at the bottom of the DC pad, you have to insert the cable there yourself.
I'm still amazed at how few folks actually know this.
I knew that, but I still don't like it.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

mazonemayu wrote:thats why they put a little hole at the bottom of the DC pad, you have to insert the cable there yourself.
I'm still amazed at how few folks actually know this.
Even SEGA themselves knew putting the wire on the bottom was stupid, why else would they have the little grip.

"What the hell have you done? Why is the wire on the bottom!?"
"Well, uh, I mean it's too late now"
"Ughh, forget it let's just file some little grips into the back, maybe no one will care"
Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

Aside from the slight lack of buttons and an analog, the Dreamcast controller is my favourate, it fits very confortably in your hand, and all of the buttons are in the right place! I loved how you can use the VMU as a screen, it never came into any decent use, but it was a cool feature.

2nd place has to be the PS1/2 controller, it has the same advantages as the Dreamcast only it's not as comfortable to hold in my opinion.

3rd place is the N64 controller, I loved it's layout despite what many people said.
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

TF73 wrote:The screen you see is from the VMU unit (visual memory unit). Some games shows different information there and you can also use it as a handheld as some games were made for it.

You can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMU

Thanks for the info. It was really usefull and I liked it.
I especially liked the thing that you can download minigames such as the Chao world and so.
You know, in my opinion, the VMU is an awsome thing. If a new console would appear, They should add something like that which would be awsome. It also would be an advantage to other consoles, for excample, just imagin a new awsome game gets released for both PS3 and the console with the VMU, It is better toget the console with the VMU version because it has extras and minigames for it.
Yeah, the VMU seems to be awsome! :biggrin:
Although still when I look at the remoteImage, and the VMUImage, the somehow seem to be different unless you mean that you can connect the VMU to the back of the controller and only the screen is visible and not the bottons.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Okay, I have to put my two cents on this. I actually really dislike the Dreamcast controller. I love the console to death; it's probably my favorite console in existance, but the controller is OVERRATED. It's a good idea, with bad execution IMO. The back of the controller is rammed right up against your fingers when you're holding it, the facebuttons for fighting games I think are spaced just a tiny bit too far apart and I think they should be raised just slightly. Also the analog stick is crap. Why in the hell did they not put some kind of rubber grip on it? And the D-Pad could be improved too. It's just very stiff and not nearly as easy to do sweep type moves, like on Street Fighter. Why did they change the Saturn/Genesis style for the d-pad?

My biggest gripe is that it just feels cheap and it's very cumbersome compared to other controllers. It functions fine, but damnit it just isn't comfortable or practical because the design in my opinion is just half assed. I understand they were trying to come up with a new idea, but why the hell did they have to make it feel so cheap? I'll give it credit for one thing though, I've had my friend throw my controller on the concrete ground in anger before and it still works. I've also dropped mine on accident numerous times. No problems at all with it, so I will say the shell and everything is built like a tank.

Having all that said..look at this.

Yep, the Saturn 3D pad. Look at the analog stick, button placement, and the dpad. Other than the VMU, doesn't the DC controller look like a dumbed down 3D pad in comparison?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
TF73
Level 9
Level 9

Post by TF73 »

Although still when I look at the remoteImage, and the VMUImage, the somehow seem to be different unless you mean that you can connect the VMU to the back of the controller and only the screen is visible and not the bottons.[/QUOTE]

Yes you put it into the back of the controller and only the screen shows.
There is actually 2 slots on the DC controller.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

The Sony controllers are my best choice. To me, they look and feel like the 'perfect' controller. Good handling, design, and nicely placed buttons are what I saw when I first held the original PS controller. Plus my hands had less problems when using it.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

VMUs weren't all that great, they had piss all space and required watch batterys which I don't tend to have around the house so I had the thing constantly beeping at me.

Come to think of it I'm not a massive fan of the DC controller.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

They don't actually require batteries to work. They only do if you want to use them for things other than game saves...but yeah, when you are using the watch batteries it's just stupid for the most part.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.