RadioSEGA Review: Sonic Colours (DS)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
Page
Level 8
Level 8

RadioSEGA Review: Sonic Colours (DS)

Post by Page »

Sonic Colours DS/DS lite/DSi/DSi XL

Lets get this out of the way right at the start. I want to review Sonic Colours DS based on its own merits, without comparing it to anything else, but that's just impossible. For those of you who believe that its basically Sonic Rush 3 well I have got news for each and every one of you. You are absolutely, totally and utterly right. I longed to say that its something new, but even the animation when Sonic begins a level is the same.

OK So that's out of the way, and we are left with the people who liked Sonic Rush to continue the review. Those that have stopped reading and written Sonic Colours off are going to miss out, because as alike as Sonic Rush and Sonic Colours are, its the differences that make all the, well... difference! Lets begin!

Overview

Sonic Colours is a 2d platformer, with an occasional drift into 2.5d. It side scrolls along at a blistering pace, as Sonic does his best to make life as unpleasant as possible for Dr Eggman who once again is bent on mischief. This time the good Doctor has discovered a huge power inside an alien race called 'wisps' and being the Mad Scientist he is, he decides to do the decent thing and exploit them for his own ends. Building an Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park, he claims that its there to make up for all the trouble he has caused over the years. Sonic and Tails board the elevator prior to opening day to check things out for themselves, you think Eggman can fool Sonic?

The game begins with Sonic and his usual line up of powers, with the addition of homing attack that can be both a help and hindrance sometimes. Racing through the level, you notice that there are 'greyed out' collectables along the way, this is where the 'wisps' that you will meet as you progress through the game will appear, and grant Sonic with a whole plethora of new and very cool moves enabling you to reach new places, gather secret rings and unlock all sorts of things. The game is, as always, split into different zones, which again is split into different acts with a boss fight at the end. In addition to this there are optional side missions that you can take that have specific objectives such as 'rescue 30 wisps before the time runs out' They are challenging and rewarding when you complete them. All the zones, acts, missions and boss fights can be revisited over and over again if you miss anything.

Gameplay

This game is fast, sometimes overwhelmingly so. Sonic Rush was criticised for being so fast that you felt out of control, well I have to say that Sonic Colours suffers from this too, the addition of the wisps help to a point to break things up, but there are times that you will loose all your rings or worse be killed, because you just failed to see what is rushing up at you. This calls for different approaches and a few replays of the levels, as you unlock different wisps that give Sonic a new set of powers, enabling him to jump high, drill through the ground or zip along like a laser beam. Replaying the levels with these new powers will show you different routes for speed runs or access to the special 'red rings' needed to unlock certain things. The game runs very well and is addictive enough to make you have just one more go, but frustrating enough to have you throw the DS out the window as you rage quit. The Boss fights are cool, and in are presented in 2.5d. As with most Sonic games some bosses are easier to work out than others, and some share similar attack patterns and looks. Overall a good balance.
There is a multiplayer mode using the DS 'download play' option or multi card. The game can even be played over the internet using the Nintendo Wifi connection, this means that you can be battling Sonic players from around the world, racing across levels trying to get to the finish first. These races are really exciting as there is an addition of Mario kart-like powerups designed to slow and frustrate your opponent. This is a really enjoyable part of the game, and is almost a game in its own right, but a word of warning! Make sure you practise offline to avoid embarrassment!

Visuals/Graphics

The colours are bright, the levels are big and Sonic moves like the blue blur he is. The DS struggles a tiny bit when there is a lot going on, but you really wont notice because you just wont have time! Each level has its own distinctive style and most have a minigame somewhere along the way, either riding a whale or hang glider which can pull the game from 2d to 2.5d and back. They are nicely drawn and animated but the level design can get confusing, a few plays are needed before alternate routes can be identified.

Sound

The music is punchy and upbeat, the opening song 'Reach for the Stars' is a nice 'feel good tune', it sets the scene and the tone of the game and compliments the bright and colourful visuals. The stage sound fits well with the type of level you are playing and the voice clip when you activate a wisp is pretty good too. Play the game using headphones to get the full effect as the DS's speakers really don't do the soundtrack any favours.
This is the first game to use the new voice talents of Roger Craig Smith, Mike Pollock, and Kate Higgins and I think they do the game justice, though this will be a discussion point for hardcore fans. There is not that much voiced dialogue but it still manages to retain a good slice of humour and raises more than one or two smiles as you play the game.

Conclusion

Sonic Colours DS is a great addition to your collection, casual platformers will love the multiple routes and variety of power ups, die hard Sonic fans will love the cameo's of other Sonic characters, the music, video and artwork player which gradually gets more content as you go through the game and complete the extra missions, and of course who can ignore the first game with new voice acting. Yes it can be thought of as Sonic Rush 3, but it builds on the original, the tweaks and additions that have been made make this game able to stand out on its own. Paradoxically its the speed of the game and the smallness of the DS screen that let it down a little with the game play. That said, if it was slow and ponderous then it wouldn't be a Sonic game, anyone remember 'Sonic Labyrinth'?
Even if you hated Sonic Rush, give Sonic Colours a try. You might be surprised.

Sound 4/5
Graphics 4/5
Gameplay 3/5
Extras 3/5
________
PREGNANT VIDEO
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Nice review there matey. I fancy getting this game but I was never bowled over by Rush for pretty much the reasons you stated. I'll give it a whirl when I see it a bit cheaper.
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

I love Sonic Rush, SRA is actually my third favorite Sonic title. I put it (Sonic Colors) on my Christmas wish list and glad to see it didn't disappoint. Looking forward to playing it!
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Page
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Page »

richarddavies wrote:Nice review there matey. I fancy getting this game but I was never bowled over by Rush for pretty much the reasons you stated. I'll give it a whirl when I see it a bit cheaper.
Thank you :) The game is a bit 'marmite' (that is, you love it or hate it for our overseas readers) but the love/hate line is blurred because there is a real Sonic game right there in the palm of your hand. I am getting a DSi XL soon, I might add a bit to the review after playing it on a larger screen.

Page
________
GAY VIDEO
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Great review Page. I never had a problem with the speed, but I much preferred the level design of SRA to the original SR, specifically the levels felt much more unique and fun in SRA, and also SRA had less bottomless pits, cheap deaths, and enemies in awkward places. How does Sonic Colours feel; more like SR or SRA?

SRA was a very enjoyable game to me, yet I really struggled with SR.
Page
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Page »

CapnCloudchaser wrote: How does Sonic Colours feel; more like SR or SRA?

SRA was a very enjoyable game to me, yet I really struggled with SR.
Ill have to get back to you on the SRA, It was a long time ago, Ill dig it out and have a play and let you know. I also struggled a bit with SR, but I have to report that I keep coming back again and again to Sonic Colours, it has that 'one more go' to it and when you FINALLY defeat the boss, there is a genuine feeling of achievement thats missing from a lot of games these days. Now the review is done and up I can stop being objective and admit that this is in my top 5 Sonic games...

One point I have to make is that I really feel its harder than the Wii version, getting the red rings is really tricky, but again you feel rewarded, oh and there are pretty cool DS only wisps...

Thanks for the kind words Capn :biggrin:

Page
________
Upskirt girl
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

Nice review! Makes me want to play it, which I will when I buy it next month. After I give it a go, I'll come back here and state my opinion. :)