Where/How Do You Buy Your Games?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...

Where/How do you buy your games?

Major game shops
18%
Other retailers
15%
13%
New: On release
7%
New: Few weeks later or in deals
11%
Second hand
13%
None: rent or borrow, etc
2%
Collectors editions
11%
Standard editions
11%

Total votes: 55

Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Where/How Do You Buy Your Games?

Post by Tru »

Yah. Where do you buy your games?

Do you buy them new or second hand?

On release date, or after a few weeks, few months?

Do you get them from retailers like GAME or more independent game shops? Supermarkets or places like HMV even?

Do you buy them online to get the best deal, and where? GAME or places like Play.com, Amazon, etc?

Do you get collectors editions, or just plump for the standard edition?

Or do you just rent or borrow games off friends, etc?

I have added a poll with multiple choice, so pick the ones which are relevant ^_^
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I usually get mine from shops or online depending on if I want to pay less or if I want to have it there and then.

I prefer to get stuff new, especially now pubs are in the habit of putting DLC in new copies. Though if it's hard to find new or significantly cheaper I'll get it second hand. If it's mostly online then I'd rather get it as soon as possible so people don't get super awesome at it.

If the CE/SE/LE is any good or worth the price I'll try and get it.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

I get mines at a small chain of game stores called Play N Trade, but most of the time i go to Best Buy since i get discounts and the fact i hate gamestop >>
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I always tend to buy my games new, although I often wait a while until they've come down in price. I read somewhere that most companies only care about the first six months of sales (May have been told it at Uni) thus the prices usually come down a lot after then.

If it's a game I've waited for a while though and have on my hit list, then it's been my policy in the past to buy them on release and get a collectors edition if available. However, lack of money doesn't always make this possible. I usually buy from GAME just for the 10% student discount and points, although if I find a really good deal online, then I'm not totally adverse to buying online.

Prefer getting from the shops though. Part of going to a game shop first thing in the morning for a new release feels like a ritual.
coolman2424
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coolman2424 »

i mostly get my games from EBgames(cos its THE ONLY REAL game store in NZ) i try to get the Collectors editions of games cos i know thay well me worth more $ when thay go retro. but some times i don't have the $ to get them. and i like to Wait for a week or two till the price gos down
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\move\art\Nrestsew2b.jpg
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I like to get them at launch either online or from places like GAME. However, I refuse to go over £30 for a new release, unless it's a fancy collector's edition with some interesting extras. I won't go for a collector's edition just because it has a fancy cover though. Some DLC or a silly little physical extra is needed to entice me.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

If I buy new I buy online (usually PLAY or Shopto) but I usually go to a local game shop for my second hand games. Don't buy from GAME,Gamestation much if I can help it.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Ebay
Amazon
Argos on occasion
Nephews school fairs
usually the car boot :3 Cheap games & you'll occasionally find a rare treat waiting for ye (FF7 in mint condition for 50p? I think so, FF8 just missing the book for £1? Don't mind if i do)
Cobra!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Cobra! »

I buy old games from Amazon, Ebay and Gamestation, I prefare to get the collectors edition if available, otherwise, I just buy the standard.
Don't you EVER forget the "!" in "Cobra!"! Unless you're refering me as "Cobradabest".
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I only buy my games from one shop these days, some grotty place called Gameworld. I don't dare go into Gamestation anymore, I'm scared that much B.O. and Fear Factory in such a small place will make me faint now I'm not a teenager.

Never bothered much with collectors editions, they seem like the new way for companies to rob you. I don't mind paying £40+ for a game if I've been looking foward to it, I don't need some 'free' plastic junk to justify wasting money. I did buy MGS Subsistence though, that had loads of extras.
Tic Tac, sir?