NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams (Wii)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
SuperMatt723
Level 1
Level 1

NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams (Wii)

Post by SuperMatt723 »

NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams is the long awaited sequel to 1996's Sega Saturn Classic, NiGHTS Into Dreams. The game development began immediately after Shadow The Hedgehog, and we all know how good that game was </Sarcasm>. I played this game at its release, (December 2007 In the USA, January 2008 elsewhere) and Having just finished my second run of the game, I figured it deserved a review.

Name: NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams
Developer: Sonic Team
Publisher: SEGA
Platform: Wii

Overview
NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams starts with either the story of Will Taylor, Or Helen Cartwright. Both are experiencing Nightmares for their real life actions, (Will is having trouble coping with his fathers absence, and Helen feels guilt for ditching her for her friends.) Their dreams take them to the dream gate in Nightopia, the hub of the game. Here they meet Owl, The guide of the game. They also meet NiGHTS (A rebellious jester-like Nightmaren, and Title Character and Dualize With him. Together, they fight to defeat the Nightmarens, Reala and Master Wizeman, the Primary Antagonists of the game.

Gameplay
The Game plays similar to the Saturn Classic. You fly through Rings, collect orbs, defeat enemies and bosses, and your scored at the end of every level (E being the lowest, A being the highest) Based on your performance. The game features four different control options: the Wii Remote as a standalone controller, the Wii Remote in combination with the Nunchuk, the Nintendo GameCube controller and the Classic Controller. The Wii Remote Controls are hit or miss, as it really depends on your television set up. Every other controller option is the preferred option. The game controls very well, and is one of the more refined Sonic Team titles (Sorry Sonic.) flying is well executed, as I never felt I was fighting the game to do what I asked. The only part that keeps this from being flawless, is controlling Will and Helen. The animations for them are a little flawed, but you only really control them for short periods of time, so it doesn't break the experience.

Graphics
The Game has a very Vibrant art style. For the most part, this game looks very last generation. This doesn't hurt the game, and it works for the game. (And you don't really play a Wii game for its graphics, although this isn't one of the best looking Wii titles) There are some graphical errors during cut scenes, But for the most part, The presentation is Nintendo quality. Menus look great, and are navigated with ease.

Music/Sound
The music is where this game SHINES. The composer of the original reprised his role as lead composer. Every track is Flawless, and every bit catchy. My favorite being the new rendition of the original "Dream Dreams".

The sound is different. The voice acting for both Will and Helen is atrocious. NiGHTS, Owl, Reala, And Master Wizeman, are believable at best. The voice acting may suck, but the sound effects work well with the on screen actions.

Closing Comments
NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams has its share of flaws, be it horrible voice acting, a sub-par storyline, and last gen graphics. However, this game gets it right where its needed, and this has to be one of the more memorable experiences ive had with a game. this game is extremely enjoyable, good for kids and adults. Its gets more right than a Sonic game (SEGA and Sonic team's Main player) This game needs to be on the list of great Wii titles. Sin and Punishment had the same flaws as this game, and sold very well. NiGHTS is a fantastic game and I recommend to all Wii owners, NiGHTS fans, SEGA fans, and lovers for unique gaming experiences.

Gameplay:4/5, Fantastic, addictive, and unique.
Graphics:3/5, Standard Wii Graphics
Music:5/5, Where the Game SHINES.
Sound:2.5/5, Horrible acting, but good sound effects.
Overall: 8/10
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Nice review!

I really wanted to like Journey of Dreams, I really did. The levels and graphics were nice, I loved the soundtrack, I didn't even mind the voice acting, but damn, it was a difficult game and I found it so hard to control, even with a GameCube pad. I just couldn't love it like I wanted to :(
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

I used to have this game, it was alot of fun but it wasn't as fun as the original for the Saturn. Still a decent title and defiantly a pick up for any sega fan. (Must say that acting was horrible...)
Great review Matt
Page
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Page »

Ugh... I love NiGHTS, and like Cap I really want to love this but the controls are HORRIBLE. The game becomes a chore rather than a pleasure which is a real shame.

Nice write up though, good work.
________
BUY VAPORIZERS
IvyRave
Level 10
Level 10

Post by IvyRave »

Great review I agree with everything
I know this sounds slightly nit-picking but why were the characters given English accents? The actress who voiced NiGHTS as obviously American as you can hear her accent slip sometimes and also the controls and camera were slightly broken, using a classic controller is best (in my opinion).
Despite those flaws I loved it very much especially the dream garden alone was just mind blowing at how beautiful and calm it was
Page
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Page »

I cant do the level where you have to fly along and play the notes... its driving me insane
IvyRave
Level 10
Level 10

Post by IvyRave »

Page wrote:I cant do the level where you have to fly along and play the notes... its driving me insane
Who's dream is that Will's or Helen's?
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I liked this game...but the controls are the worst in any game I have ever played :(