Sega RPG's!

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Sega RPG's!

Post by Tru »

Let's talk about RPG's :biggrin:

Partly because there aren't that many and what there is tends to be under appreciated.

Discuss the state of Sega RPG's in general, or name your favourites!

Most of the recent RPG's have been handled by other developers, such as Resonance of Fate and Alpha Protocol. It's nice to have newer IP's, but it would be nice to see some older Sega RPG's back again. And I don't just mean Shenmue 3.

The Shining games aren't as awesome as they used to be, as discussed in the Shining thread around here. Phantasy Star Online 2 was the best news I heard all year though.

My top three Sega RPG's are of course Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia and Panzer Dragoon Saga, and these games are proof enough that Sega RPG's can be epic. I would love to see another Skies or Saga.

But there were so many other great RPG's too, like the Phantasy Star games, Shining Force, Shining the Holy Ark, Dragon Force, etc.

I want more awesome Sega RPG's!

Although Phantasy Star Portable 2 is good >_>
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I love Renoscence of Fate. Granted the battle system is hard to get the hang of but its so addicting once you get the hang of it :)

I played Phantasy Star zero and I really didn't like it lol. Maybe I started with the wrong Phantasy Star?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Gonic wrote:I played Phantasy Star zero and I really didn't like it lol. Maybe I started with the wrong Phantasy Star?
Zero is fine if you're after a more modern version of Phantasy Star Online that Phantasy Star Portable really isn't. Most people would say go for Phantasy Star IV if you want a more traditional version. Personally I don't care for Phantasy Star.

SEGA's own best still remains to be Skies of Arcadia, the world is still one of my favourites and I loved the ship battles. Also I'm a massive fan of games that have areas which improve and change with your actions so I loved the Pirate's Hideout and getting a crew to populate it.

SEGA published the best is easily Infinite Space. Oh my god it's so good SO GOOD. Nudemaker are awesome.
TF73
Level 9
Level 9

Post by TF73 »

The new IP's from Sega have been good, but not by the standards delivered from their own teams.

In the past Sega have produced hits like the Shining and Phantasy Star series. I would love to see them go a bit more back to their roots and produce a bit more story driven RPG, preferably old school. To much is action orientated these days.

Phantasy Star V, Skies of Arcadia 2 or Shining Force IV would be awesome news!

From their newer RPG releases I think Valkyria Chronicles is the best of the bunch. Coming from the same people who was involved with Skies of Arcadia it should not be a surprise :)

Im also keen to see what approach they will have on PSO2. I it can live up to the standard PSO had in it's day then this will be something to look forward to. Let's hope it also gets a console release.

Anyway, my all time favourite Sega RPG's have to be PSO/DC, Shining Force III/SS, Skies of Arcadia/DC, Panzer Dragoon Saga/SS and Shining Force II/MD.

Others worth to mention would be Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force and Dark Saviour.

Btw. anyone still playing PSU online??
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Totally disagree, Infinite Space is better than anything SEGA have done in the past.

Also I should probably mention another fantastic RPG series they've been making for Sony's consoles; Yakuza.

Also I wouldn't classify Shenmue as an RPG unless you're also willing to say Monkey Island or Broken Sword are RPGs aswell.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I have only played one SEGA RPG game and it was partly made by BioWere. Yep you guessed it, Sonic Chronicles and the Dark Brotherhood. It was one of the best RPG games I ever played and I think one of SEGA's best too. Of course I am sure many of you will probably disagree and maybe say the game was shit(I have one person particularly in mind).

But that was really a nice game and probably one of the best on the Nintendo DS. The idea that the game was played using only the touch screen was brilliant and really used the most of the DS. Although the characters did look a little bit... I don't know.... not right.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Reknoc, I heard that Infinite Space is the closest thing we'll get to a new Skies? I really need to get hold of that game myself.

Gonic, I didn't like Phantasy Star Zero much either to be honest, I found it kinda boring. Phantasy Star Portable 2 is much better, go for that :P

I have Sonic Chronicles, but I didn't like it either. There are much better RPG's on the DS in my opinion.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

*Sigh*Yep, I knew that I was the only one who actually enjoyed the game.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Biggest sonic fan wrote:But that was really a nice game and probably one of the best on the Nintendo DS.
heh... haha... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHOOOOOHAHAHAHAHA.
CapnCloudchaser wrote:Reknoc, I heard that Infinite Space is the closest thing we'll get to a new Skies? I really need to get hold of that game myself.
Nah not really, it'd be better described as something similar to Sid Meiers Pirates in space with RPG elements. You might be thinking of Nostalgia which is also on the DS (but not out over here sadly). That said you do really need to get hold of the game.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Oh yeah, I've seen Nostalgia, that looked really good too, and reminded me a bit of Wild ARM's in terms of the graphical style.