2018 World Cup Bid

What it says on the tin...
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

2018 World Cup Bid

Post by Tru »

As much as I dislike football, this makes for an interesting topic :P

The world cup bid results are just about to be announced. There has been some controversy on the subject in England at least due to TV programme Panorama investigating accusations of countries selling their votes. It seems to be a big deal for us, since e sent over our Prime Miniser and David Beckham to try and convince people to give the English the bid.

It would be a good source of tourism and glory (etc) but I'm not so bothered about it myself. I'm not so positive about us getting it either, but if Spain and Portugal get it, there may be other accusations of collusion.

So.. We're only minutes away from finding out who has one. If we lose here, we lose out for a generation, so the news reporter says.

Edit: Apparently England has been knocked out in the first round. Oh well!

Edit 2: And Russia has won! Yay! I secretly wanted them to win >_>

Edit 3: Oh bloody Hell, there is another one for 2022? Apparently Qatar has won that one.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I'd quite like to see Andrew Jennings (the panorama hack) fed to Alsations.
Tic Tac, sir?
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Actually, I'd probably go even firther than that - I'd like to see an actual decimation of the BBC. You know how the Roman army would execute one in ten of its troops if they didnt fight well enough. Well I'd have someone from the BBC marched out of the offices and shot in public until one tenth of the workforce had gone. That might learn the interfering, indignant, self righteous shits.

Sorry, I'm a bit gutted about all this.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I'm not a football kind of chap but I was hoping Japan would have won the 2022 world cup, just for their wacky, oh-so-Japanese "We shall have holographic versions of the matches being shown in stadiums all around the world!!!" idea.
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

Japan did co-host the World Cup in 2002 so that's unlikly, even though I was hoping Australia or USA would get it. USA was unlikely because of its current financial standing (The people who run it have this idea that we have unlimited money. Sure acting like it! May have cost us another opportunity to host such a great event). Australia has never hosted it and would make a great place to have it even though I would miss some of it 'cause I would be asleep during some of the matches.

Speaking of US (and slightly off-topic), do any of you remember or have seen this opening sequence to ESPN's (US) World Cup coverage from last summer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5jwlObe ... re=related
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Page
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Page »

I loathe football on a molecular level, so only realised recently that we wanted to host the world cup (I thought there had just been one!) Anyway I thought it would be a bit of a disaster if we DID win the bid, we would still be putting the finishing touches to the Olympics as the first game kicked off...
________
Lsv
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Page wrote:I loathe football on a molecular level, so only realised recently that we wanted to host the world cup (I thought there had just been one!) Anyway I thought it would be a bit of a disaster if we DID win the bid, we would still be putting the finishing touches to the Olympics as the first game kicked off...
That was my attitude to the whole thing too :P
SimonShirley
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by SimonShirley »

I didn't watch the Panorama show, and I don't follow football, but it does seem evident that the show had some bearing on the decision.

Listening to Question Time on the Beeb, they seem to suggest that the show should have been delayed.

Personally, I disagree. I don't think we should be encouraging corruption. If there are problems with FIFA, then I feel that they shouldn't be allowed to bodge any World Cup.

Secondly, this will cause a number of people to enter this country to watch the matched. Nobody knows how many people are here illegally and therefore nobody knows how many people should be returning.
Long time lurker and sometimes chief assistant. More the former.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Page wrote:I loathe football on a molecular level, so only realised recently that we wanted to host the world cup (I thought there had just been one!) Anyway I thought it would be a bit of a disaster if we DID win the bid, we would still be putting the finishing touches to the Olympics as the first game kicked off...
I know you've probably never noticed this before, but there are already quite a few armed and fully operational football stadiums in the country. In fact we could probably do a decent job of hosting the tournament if it kicked off this evening.
Tic Tac, sir?
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

foreversonic wrote:I didn't watch the Panorama show, and I don't follow football, but it does seem evident that the show had some bearing on the decision.

Listening to Question Time on the Beeb, they seem to suggest that the show should have been delayed.

Personally, I disagree. I don't think we should be encouraging corruption. If there are problems with FIFA, then I feel that they shouldn't be allowed to bodge any World Cup.

Secondly, this will cause a number of people to enter this country to watch the matched. Nobody knows how many people are here illegally and therefore nobody knows how many people should be returning.
I agree, I think it was an important move to have the show before, as otherwise it just looks like we're giving a blind eye to the corruption. It seems especially poignant that the show even stated reasons as to why we wouldn't win.. And of course we didn't.

Of course, the money it generated would have been useful, but it really doesn't sound like we would have gotten it anyway.