UMD Load Problem

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

UMD Load Problem

Post by Kaito-kun »

I've recently brought my PSP back out of retirement and been playing a few games here and there without any issue, however, I slip Prinny: Can I really be the Hero? into the drive and PSP decided to throw a wobbler. The game isn't recognised in the XMB and a distinct clicking noise followed by a buzz can be heard from within the drive.
Searching the symptoms online tends to suggest that the problem lies in the console's laser, however, considering other UMD based games I find this unlikely. Does anyone else have any ideas of how to solve this issue?

Summary and things to keep in mind:

UMD drive gives a clicking and buzzing sound when Prinny: Can I really be the Hero? is inserted

No other UMDs have this issue

I own PSP-2000 model

It has never been hacked

I have already tried cleaning the UMD, no luck there

No visible scratches on the disc

The clear plastic on the UMD front (The side with the image) has become loose at the bottom and has moved inwards. (The fatter end with the PSP logo on the white plastic) It's not the first time this has happened and the other UMD in the same condition was read without any trouble.

Any ideas?
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

Huh, that's a tricky one. Have you fingered through the sides of the UMD? Like see if there are rough edges that could cause it to not spin or work right? (Now the insides, not the outside edge)
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
SimonShirley
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by SimonShirley »

If it is just the one disc, then I would suggest checking whether the clear plastic part has come away from the white plastic.

There is a chance that this is slowing the disc (or stopping rotation) and therefore not being recognised.

You have to do what I have had to do and replace the covers.
Long time lurker and sometimes chief assistant. More the former.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

If it's just the game itself, then it could just be a dodgy disc?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

foreversonic wrote:If it is just the one disc, then I would suggest checking whether the clear plastic part has come away from the white plastic.

There is a chance that this is slowing the disc (or stopping rotation) and therefore not being recognised.

You have to do what I have had to do and replace the covers.
That sounds like the most likely problem at the moment. I've no idea how to change the case though, or where to get them.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

^I agree with foreversonic. Even if the plastics gets a little bit loose, it won't work. I've got a PSP and none of my UMDs work because all there plastics is loose.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

UMD is such a stupid idea..well..actually a great idea, but such poor execution. I hear about this happening all the time. I can see PSP games being collectors items in about 10-15 years because of that.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Would have to agree with Foreversonic

Worst case scenario is the little metal disc has come loose & they are a right pain in the arse to get back in, a way around it though is find a friend with a PSP 1000 (phat) & see if the game works in theirs, then hope they have a copy & swap copies (did it with my Crisis Core :P )
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

My PSP is a model 1003 which means a PSP 1000 right? Yeah, I bought my PSP at the beginning so it's very old.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Matty wrote: Worst case scenario is the little metal disc has come loose & they are a right pain in the arse to get back in, a way around it though is find a friend with a PSP 1000 (phat) & see if the game works in theirs, then hope they have a copy & swap copies (did it with my Crisis Core :P )
My sister may have her old phat PSP lying around (she might've traded it in though) but the downside is that I know for a fact she won't have a copy of Prinny, dood.
Biggest sonic fan wrote:My PSP is a model 1003 which means a PSP 1000 right? Yeah, I bought my PSP at the beginning so it's very old.
Well that's just lovely, but it doesn't help my problem very much. ^__^""