What it says on the tin...
MTails
Level 9
Level 9

New (or altered?) life discovered.

Post by MTails »

Probably everyone has seen this but just in case:
http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-n ... e=true&s=i

Seems like NASA have discovered life that doesn't have the exact same DNA material:
Gizmondo wrote: NASA has discovered a new life form—called GFAJ-1—that doesn't share the biological building blocks of anything currently living in planet Earth, using arsenic to build its DNA, RNA, proteins, and cell membranes. This changes everything
Well, this is interesting, but i don't think this changes everything.
Thoughts?
Click to reveal
If you can see me, welcome to the HB Club: RadioSEGA Branch! Take a seat, and hopefully you'll be released soon. Or maybe you'll rot here forever, who knows?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Neat. When does humanity start exploiting this for it's own needs?
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

We're the appointed top-of-the-food-chain and rulers of all lower life forms (not that many higher life forms exist) so I wouldn't worry about exploiting it unless it causes its extinction.

Anyway, I just saw this as well, I'll be interested if we learn anything from these. Perhaps stem cell research isn't necessary anymore! (DISCLAIMER: Pure speculation and not even I know what this could mean. Do not hold me to the last paragraph you just read)
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

We're only top of the food chain until something smarter comes along.

Just so you know, I'm gonna be selling you all out to the aliens when the time comes.
ResidentSD
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by ResidentSD »

I'm always fascinated in all these sorts of things. If only I was a bit brighter so I could understand it all! :P

Seriously though, I heard bits and pieces about it but haven't had a good read of it yet. Sounds very interesting though.
CapnCloudchaser wrote:Just so you know, I'm gonna be selling you all out to the aliens when the time comes.
Well, it's good to know where we all stand I guess..... :ohmy:
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Interesting, i want to read more about it but their isn't alot about this right now.
Also saw this earlier while in school on the television, but still not alot of info about it.
Wonder what they can do with this.

CapnCloudchaser wrote:We're only top of the food chain until something smarter comes along.
We are not alone in this universe!?
BOOOOOOOWEEEEEOOOOOWEEEEEE!
ShadowPhantom
level 11
level 11

Post by ShadowPhantom »

Heard about this on tv. This is fascinating! This expands our search for other life in the universe even more. Are we alone? Hopefully not for long. If one of the basic building blocks of life can be switched out, maybe more can. Who knows what kind of life we might find!
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:We're only top of the food chain until something smarter comes along.

Just so you know, I'm gonna be selling you all out to the aliens when the time comes.
If God has created something smarter than us, I would like to know. And it's nice to know that our Phantasy Star phan is not on our side presuming the aliens are not friendly. XD

I personally doubt such life exists but I have been wrong before.
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:
It's that hamster of yours I'd keep an eye on.
ResidentSD wrote:I'm always fascinated in all these sorts of things. If only I was a bit brighter so I could understand it all! :P
It basically means that life could exist in places we had never though possible because we've discovered something that is made out of something that would usually kill most previously known lifeforms.
crippenstation wrote:If God has created something smarter than us, I would like to know.
Dolphins and mice. And who is this "God" person anyway?
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Kaito-kun wrote:It's that hamster of yours I'd keep an eye on.
Yeah be careful Capn, you never know when your hamster falls down the balcony. :P
Kaito-kun wrote:It basically means that life could exist in places we had never though possible because we've discovered something that is made out of something that would usually kill most previously known lifeforms.
I myself don't think that Humans should look for aliens. I don't know who but somebody has said this and I really like it: We people think that we are the smartest creatures in the universe but and keep looking for aliens. If they ARE any aliens, it is most likely possible that they are a lot more smarter and more advanced than us and might even try to invade us."
Kaito-kun wrote:And who is this "God" person anyway?
Very wise question. You can't imagine how many times I ask myself this.