Your Favourite Sega Related/Inspired Games

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Your Favourite Sega Related/Inspired Games

Post by Tru »

Okay, here is a thread for all those awesome games that came out on Sega consoles, maybe as an exclusive at first, but since they weren't made or published by Sega they can't be on Radio SEGA :P

For example, Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. Man, I loved that game. It was one of the reasons why I bought a Dreamcast in the first place. I'm not that keen on the Soul Calibur series anymore though.

Being a RPG fan, one of my favourite series is the Grandia series, despite not being able to play the third one. The first Grandia was released on the Saturn in Japan and then Grandia 2 came out for the Dreamcast some time later. Both of these games were really good, and were later re-released on the PS1 and PS2.

According to Wikipedia, Grandia 2 was actually published by Sega in Japan as well. I quite liked the soundtrack and story.

One of my other favourite RPG series is Golden Sun. The Golden Sun games were created by Camelot Software Planning, who also developed the older Shining games, such as the Shining Force series and Shining the Holy Ark. You can see the influence of the Shining games in the Golden Sun games as the graphical style and menu system is very familiar, and the music was also created by the same composer. In a way, I always felt that the Golden Sun series was like the spiritual sequel to the Shining games, as I have lost all interest in the newer Shining games.

And let's not forget Child of Eden, spiritual sequel to Rez!

Know any more?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

That's a pretty Camelot thing, they do that in the portable versions of their Mario sports games.

I guess the closest thing I can think of is the Powerstone games, both of them were pretty excellent brawlers.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Road Rash dammit! Power Stone's great too. But there's one that I particularly love that probably nobody here will mention unless I do first. And that is?...

Project Justice. Still the best 3D-ish Capcom fighter in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

CapnCloudchaser wrote: For example, Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. Man, I loved that game. It was one of the reasons why I bought a Dreamcast in the first place. I'm not that keen on the Soul Calibur series anymore though.
Hell yeah, Soul Calibur for the DC was amazing, one of the best games i owned for it. Never bought another SC game again.

An Inspired game game i enjoyed was The Simpsons Road Rage which was a clone of Crazy Taxi but what made it good was that it starred The Simpsons XD It was so similiar to Crazy Taxi that SEGA actually sued them.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

I always wondered if Rockstar ever sued them for Hit & Run. Though Hit & Run sucked hard compared to GTA. The Simpsons idea is cool and all but the violence IMO was way too toned down. o_o Anywho.

Most of the indie games for Dreamcast are also spectacular. I love Wind & Water Puzzle Battles. So much care when into making that game. And the vast number of shmups is excellent too. The famous Ikaruga started on the DC..or the arcade. I can't remember which.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

I didn't mind Hit and Run actually, if I'm being honest. Had a little bit of a difficulty spike near the end, but wasn't bad up to that point.

I can't really think of any games that were inspired by previous SEGA efforts, to be honest. Might need to get my brain into gear and really think about it.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

I also enjoyed Hit & Run, and the game did have a difficulty spike near the end. Hated the level where you had to get to the school in a certain amount of time after those aliens took over the town. Did enjoy unlocking all the costumes from various episodes and finding the secrets cars scattered around the levels.

Some good SEGA inspired games was all those random animal platformers after the success of Sonic during the 90's.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Meh it was okay. I'm exaggerating when I say "sucked hard". Still though didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I would.
Wayne The Game
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Wayne The Game »

I absolutely loved my mega cd back in the day (and I still do). No matter what some may think of the system, the games on it had amazing soundtracks - even though all may not have quite had as good gameplay.

So here is my favourite non sega developed/published games which are both amazing for gameplay and soundtrack:
Snatcher - stunning in every sense, especially to fans of the mgs universe
Mickey Mania - the mouse at his best
Earthworm Jim: SE - I know it's pretty much the same as the MD version, but I love this guy
The Terminator - once again another MD port, but I loved the game and the soundtrack rocked
Wonderdog - I looked forward to this game for the whole year building up to it's release, I loved platformers

Two of my favourite games that maybe lacked in substance, but are high scorers for their awesome tunes was Road Avenger and Time Gal, really easy games once you knew all the patterns but they still make me smile.*
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

I love the Sega CD (or Mega for the Euros) too. Had a few great shmups as well, like Lords Of Thunder and Robo Aleste. Lords Of Thunder is BEYOND epic. :D