Wikileaks

What it says on the tin...
Wayne The Game
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Wayne The Game »

^ true but some are far worse than others. Like I never watch Sky News as they are far too biased
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Exposing potential war crimes is one thing, but I don't agree with this nonsense they've been releasing recently. A lot is little more than gossip, and actually quite dangerous. For instance the Afgahistan informer's names that were released. The only people to benefit are those in anti-western governments, who can keep all their secrets nice and hidden while the west panders to it's population's voyueristic cravings and does their secret service's job for them.

Govermnents need to be able to discuss things openly and not have everything thrown out into the world, it helps international stability and stops friction between countries. It has nothing to do with democracy. Total freedom of information would be like making someone say everything they ever think out loud.

And British news broadcasting is regulated by strict impartiality rules (so technically we don't have freedoms of televised news); Sky News is far from as biased as its owners would like it to be.
Tic Tac, sir?
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Personally i think its great it exists

If the US is going to say things about other countries then they deserve all the negativity thats a result of it
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

They weren't saying things about other countries though.
Tic Tac, sir?
MrEthernex
Level 10
Level 10

Post by MrEthernex »

Thinking about how the US is going about WikiLeaks, I can see it kinda comparable to what Sweden is trying to do to The Pirate Bay. Of course, each country has different laws, and the TPB case is a copyrights case, while WikiLeaks is a "governments secretz omg" case, but they both have something in common: the government goes after the host/owner of the site, which kinda makes the case difficult to win for the government. They (the hosts) may be the ones who own the site, but who's to say that they are the ones running the operations, or the ones having these volunteers commit these actions.

Personally, I think it's an important idea. Granted, there were files released that probably shouldn't have been released in the first place (especially files that can potentially endanger the lives of federal agents linked to any leaked info), but there is info out there in the US Government that the people should have the right to know. Only counter-arguement I have is that any leaked government info/secrets have the potential to cause a security threat towards the country.

TL;DR: Privacy and security are a bitch touchy subjects here in the US. Read 1984 and make your own decisions. If I made any factual errors, please reply informing said errors. I didn't take the time to research every detail, but I ran off of what I currently know.
Castleinferno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Castleinferno »

Apparently I found out today that they have hacked into VISA Mastercard and paypal this week. Wikileaks also has info on Bank of America that is to be believed t will hurt the company if released. Im sure they're threatening usage for if anything bad happens to the creator :/ the US is after wikileaks as they've had a US private (lowest rank mil official I think) get some secret info and posted it on the web and now Twitter and facebook are trying to block them along with many others which is I believe to be pissing wikileaks off. The website for wikileaks I think is Wikileaks.org but I dont think u can access it in the US bc it won't load for me...
It's not all sad to be blue :blink:... Look at Sonic :biggrin:
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

No. Supporters of Wikileaks (Not Wikileaks themselves) launched a DDOS attack on Paypal, Visa and Master card because the three companies declared that they would not assist wikileaks in any way financially. (For example, not processing any donations to the charity)
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

The guy that created it is now being held on a trumped up sex charge. In a few days he'll be sent to the US where he'll be convicted in a closed court trial. He'll then commit 'suicide' because of the pressure of the situation.

I also love how the mainstream media outlets are now refusing/ignoring most of the story.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

MrEthernex wrote: Read 1984 and make your own decisions.
What's 1984 got to do with anything?
Tic Tac, sir?
MrEthernex
Level 10
Level 10

Post by MrEthernex »

Killer French Bread wrote:What's 1984 got to do with anything?
Nothing, really. I link the book to privacy and totalitarianism (hope that's the right term; I'm too lazy to Google/Wikipedia anything atm). It was 11pm when I wrote that and I thought of that when I was typing. The main point of the tl;dr statement is that privacy, security, and freedoms (left that one out) are heated topics here in the States. People bashing the TSA about the full body scanners, thinking about some pervs whacking off to noodz of them. Random statement, apologies, continue talk of the WikiLeaks dude.