Sonic the Hedgehog: Level Design Discussion

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Sorry if I may have not understood and answered something else and correct me if I do but I don't want the level design to be that dominant over the character that I complitly lose sight of the character and roll my eyes over to the level itself.
I mean take Sonic fan remix for an example. It's levels are beautiful but sometimes it's just so beautifull that I take my eyes of Sonic and don't realize where the heck I am going.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

I prefer the classic levels. Marble zone is a good example of what I like. Speed wasn't even needed on that level apart from when the lava chases after you. It was more about the platforming and good timing on your part. That's the kind of level design I want to see more of.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I choose the 2D levels over the 3D levels any time of the day. I'll admit the 3D sonic levels look amazing but because your running so fast you tend to use the same path all the time (unleashed) where as the 2D levels had so much more exploitation to it. I still have yet to finsh splash hill zone under 60 seconds because I have yet to find a faster route then the one I normally take.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Ryan the Game Master wrote:*heavy sigh* With all due respect, did you guys even read the entire entry? You're only answering part of the question. Here's the other part:

I apologize if I sound rude, but just stating "classics are best" isn't very helpful at all. :(
I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean? Are you asking if core level design is more important than adding in awful gimmicks for shitty characters?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Reknoc wrote:I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean? Are you asking if core level design is more important than adding in awful gimmicks for shitty characters?
I wouldn't have thought so. The answer's far too obvious for it to be the case.
Ryan the Game Master
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ryan the Game Master »

I'm asking how you yourselves what part of the level design you prefer AND how you'd design your own level, originally. I wanted to start some thoughtful discussion here. I can see now, though, that it's not gonna happen.

Could someone close this, please?

Concept: "Mobius" is still alive. Check out the "new" area![HR][/HR]Help needed for Sonic fangame project. Artists, programmers, and modelers, mainly. If you are interested, message me.
Page
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Page »

At a risk of not being capable of thoughtful discussion, I have to say I prefer the speedier, classic level design. Sonic by definition is based on speed, that was his 'gimmick' I have to admit levels like Marble Zone frustrated me in my early years, as I wanted to see sonic zooming through at breakneck speed.

As to creating my own levels? I don't give it a second thought. I leave that to the professionals.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Very well.

Closed at the request of the original thread creator.