Sonic the Hedgehog: Level Design Discussion

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Ryan the Game Master
Level 2
Level 2

Sonic the Hedgehog: Level Design Discussion

Post by Ryan the Game Master »

I'd like to know what sort of level design y'all prefer, since there have been plenty of variations over the years.

The classics were simplistic. One could hardly have too much trouble getting through them, barring incompetence. They were straightforward, yet provided extra space for exploration. They were built more for the player than the characters in the game. Snazzy looks didn't hurt, either.

Nowadays, while imaginative looks haven't changed, levels tend to be built around whatever new character, ability or play style is introduced, with varying results. One could fix this by making every level play the same (more or less), but you'd have to make sure that wouldn't get old.

So, would you prefer to have the level design dominate over the character or vice versa? Moreover, how would you do it, originally?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Easily the originals, current sonic levels are just straight lines.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Whilst I agree that Sonic 4 is like that to an extent, Colours does at least try to branch off and allow exploration.

Either way, the originals still do it best.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Holdrightathons would maybe be a better way to describe new sonic level "design".
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I can't really say about level. They are all different but good because of their own reasons.
I couldn't play through a level withought loops so loops are a must be. I know sonic is more about good platforming than speed but I want areas that just want you to control Sonic in fast paste with just a few opsticles. I don't like toooooo complicated level desines eider with more than 5-7 ways to finish a level and that kind of stuff.
I like the simple way.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

I pick the classic levels for obvious reasons
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Classic levels for me too. Sonic Advance 1 and 2 are pretty awesome though. Sonic Rush pisses me off.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
ShadowPhantom
level 11
level 11

Post by ShadowPhantom »

Whatever the heck Tropical Resort Act 1 from Colors is. That is the kind of level I will go back and play over and over again.

Perfect balance of platforming and speed. Character-centric levels are okay, depending on the character.
Ryan the Game Master
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ryan the Game Master »

*heavy sigh* With all due respect, did you guys even read the entire entry? You're only answering part of the question. Here's the other part:
Ryan the Game Master wrote:
So, would you prefer to have the level design dominate over the character or vice versa? Moreover, how would you do it, originally?
I apologize if I sound rude, but just stating "classics are best" isn't very helpful at all. :(

Concept: "Mobius" is still alive. Check out the "new" area![HR][/HR]Help needed for Sonic fangame project. Artists, programmers, and modelers, mainly. If you are interested, message me.
ShadowPhantom
level 11
level 11

Post by ShadowPhantom »

Sorry about that Ryan.

I'd prefer to have level design be dominant, but for there to be different routes that only certain characters can take.