Which is more difficult: Sonic 1 on the Master System or Megadrive?

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I don't know......
It's not just the difficulty that makes me don't like the SMS version less than the MD version but it's also a little bit empty. It just doesn't have the same fun you have with the MD version and it's not because the SMS can't handle it.
I have realized that the SMS version has far to few badniks and upstickles (I have no idea how you spell it). And it just fills too a little bit, as I said, empty.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Biggest sonic fan wrote:I don't know......
It's not just the difficulty that makes me don't like the SMS version less than the MD version but it's also a little bit empty. It just doesn't have the same fun you have with the MD version and it's not because the SMS can't handle it.
I have realized that the SMS version has far to few badniks and upstickles (I have no idea how you spell it). And it just fills too a little bit, as I said, empty.
That is because the Master System can't handle it. It only has half of the processing power of the Mega Drive: 8-bit compared to 16-bit.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I guess...
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

Wait a sec... we forgot a version...

The GBA version!!!

And that one is harder than the other two times five, and only because the physics, especially in Spring Yard Zone onwards, is very screwy! One of Sonic's worst games ever.
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

crippenstation wrote:Wait a sec... we forgot a version...

The GBA version!!!

And that one is harder than the other two times five, and only because the physics, especially in Spring Yard Zone onwards, is very screwy! One of Sonic's worst games ever.
That counts as the Mega Drive version as it's just a port of the same game.
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

Kaito-kun wrote:That counts as the Mega Drive version as it's just a port of the same game.
The proper Genesis version is a classic. The GBA port was rushed and unfinished.

Both I have a hard time with Scrap Brain Zone Act 3. However, it was a miracle that I even got through Star Light Zone Act 3 because of this:

YouTube proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGxEZ9ra-k

Start at 4:10. The seesaws were problematic. I got a few Time Overs because of those annoying things.
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I think the MegaDrive version is harder because of its complexity compared to the MS version.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Personally I don't look at the Sonic games on the SMS as Sonic games. Just really cool platformers. Probably why I wasn't really disappointed.

About the GBA version of Sonic 1, it really is a different experience. The resolution of the GBA's screen is too small, and they didn't scale it, so most of the time you can't see what's ahead of you, above you, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Sonic 1 on the Master System is an absolute delight to play, except for Jungle Act 2 and the entire Sky Base Zone. Other than that, it's brill.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

SMS

I could complete Sonic on the MD as a kid very easily

I couldnt complete Sonic on the SMS

The labrynth is easy imo, the only bit i struggle with is the boss but a few tries & i'm easy on
crippenstation wrote: YouTube proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGxEZ9ra-k
My eyes, they're bleeding, such bad frame rate & sonic is soo slow :(