Favourite Sega Memories... In Real Life!

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Yeah, probably the kids of my time.
SimonShirley
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by SimonShirley »

One of my favourite memories? Racking up higher and higher scores against our friends at Safari Hunt on the Master System, way back when we were knee-high to a grasshopper.

Another was when we were able to play Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Master System) in the barbershop while we were getting our hair cut. Good times :)

I also enjoy trying to max out the jewels and score on the Mega Drive version of Columns. I think playing this is how my sister is now able to whizz through Tetris at high speeds.
Long time lurker and sometimes chief assistant. More the former.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I remember the days when I was a kid and still in Iran. Me and my uncle used to sit together and play Streets of Rage 3 together. He always chose the old man and I became Axel but changed when Roo got unlocked. We never finished the game though I think. We might have finished it once on easy. But not on medium or hard.

Speaking of Streets of Rage. I remember when I was even younger when me and my dad used to play Streets of Rage 1 and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the Genesis. It was so fun. Especially TMNT. But I have memories of both games and we finished them both. Oh good old times. These days, I still wished my dad would come and play something with me if I would ask him. Oh how much growing up sucks...
CDbiggen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CDbiggen »

Biggest sonic fan wrote:I remember the days when I was a kid and still in Iran. Me and my uncle used to sit together and play Streets of Rage 3 together. He always chose the old man and I became Axel but changed when Roo got unlocked. We never finished the game though I think. We might have finished it once on easy. But not on medium or hard.
Streets of Rage 3, man that is an unforgiving game. Playing it through with a friend at the moment on normal and only by using cheats (the shame...) can we get anywhere NEAR the end XD .

Anyway one of my favourite Sega memories in real life has to be when I was around 12 and me and my dad went to an Sega World arcade close to where we live. And I'm not kidding, everything in there from the carpet, walls, games, vending machines to the poor guy walking around in the Sonic outfit was just pure Sega. Good times.
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

A favourite moment, eh? (Actually reviving this thread, omg.)

It all began when I was 3 years old, when I actually started playing video games. Sonic 2, of course, will remain in my memory for being one of the first games I played, but this is what brought me to September 2010, on PAX Prime. Sega launched an event unlike any other at the time, and I was there for it all. Arcades, music, food, it was awesome for a PAX party. And it will remain in my memory for meeting such awesome people. <3
I live here now!
CFood
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CFood »

One of my memories is when I realized Sonic was going to be on SSBB.

Also, when I played Sonic for the first time. I was like this is Awesome!!! Also, when I made a friend that also likes Sonic as much as I do, and what's more awesome is that they share alot of other interests I do. My next SEGA memory is going to be me actually beating one of the original Sonic games.
Can't believe that I forgot about this site... XD
Pike
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pike »

I've been coming here for a while to listen, never posting, but this couldn't be passed up.

Some of my favorite sega memories...

Being expeled from school in the second grade my father had gotten a genesis from my uncle. My father being unemployed at the time stayed home with me and let me play it all day long. Playing Sonic 1 and 2 and Shadowrun co-op (couldn't tell my mother about Shadowrun).

When I got older and Sega annonced that the Saturn was dead everything went on clearance some of the games as cheap as $2. My father and I went to every K-mart we could locate (using mapquest... ugh) in order to try to get every Saturn game (we ended up around 150 games). Playing fighting games on the Saturn was a family affair. Kicking the tar out of my brother and father on Last Bronx, Virtua Fighter, and Fighting Vipers.

Inbetween the Saturn and the Dreamcast with the advent of e-bay and yahoo auctions we went about trying to collect everything we had missed out on on the SegaCD, 32X and Master System. I'll never forget when I got Lunar for my birthday. I slept with it under my pillow for like a month.

I also remember when I beat Lunar. My Grandmother walked into the room during the ending and wouldn't stop talking as I politley nodded with her continuing to talk to I has to redo the ending in order to watch it.

Then on 9/9/99 my father on a whim went with me (after school I believe) to get a Dreamcast. We had to go from NY (just north of the city) into Jersey to find one. We got the last one. I had to beg him to opt for a VMU not knowing there was no internal memory. We got the VMU and Sonic Adventure later getting an S-Video cable to really make the Dreamcast shine.

SEGA memories are pure magic. Bringing together a father and son like nothing else. Now I'm trying to get my son (4 years old) into SEGA (not the new SEGA, the old SEGA). He does love his retro games.
Greatodyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Greatodyer »

Getting my Mega Drive with Sonic 1,2,3 & Knuckles at Christmas in 1994 (oh god, that long ago) and going to Sega World at the Trocadero.
Takes more than expired soda to have a party. It takes guests, with breasts and mine don't count.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqbqtosuVk1qbr1yco1_500.jpg
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Pike wrote:I've been coming here for a while to listen, never posting, but this couldn't be passed up.

Some of my favorite sega memories...

Being expeled from school in the second grade my father had gotten a genesis from my uncle. My father being unemployed at the time stayed home with me and let me play it all day long. Playing Sonic 1 and 2 and Shadowrun co-op (couldn't tell my mother about Shadowrun).

When I got older and Sega annonced that the Saturn was dead everything went on clearance some of the games as cheap as $2. My father and I went to every K-mart we could locate (using mapquest... ugh) in order to try to get every Saturn game (we ended up around 150 games). Playing fighting games on the Saturn was a family affair. Kicking the tar out of my brother and father on Last Bronx, Virtua Fighter, and Fighting Vipers.

Inbetween the Saturn and the Dreamcast with the advent of e-bay and yahoo auctions we went about trying to collect everything we had missed out on on the SegaCD, 32X and Master System. I'll never forget when I got Lunar for my birthday. I slept with it under my pillow for like a month.

I also remember when I beat Lunar. My Grandmother walked into the room during the ending and wouldn't stop talking as I politley nodded with her continuing to talk to I has to redo the ending in order to watch it.

Then on 9/9/99 my father on a whim went with me (after school I believe) to get a Dreamcast. We had to go from NY (just north of the city) into Jersey to find one. We got the last one. I had to beg him to opt for a VMU not knowing there was no internal memory. We got the VMU and Sonic Adventure later getting an S-Video cable to really make the Dreamcast shine.

SEGA memories are pure magic. Bringing together a father and son like nothing else. Now I'm trying to get my son (4 years old) into SEGA (not the new SEGA, the old SEGA). He does love his retro games.
I'm browsing old threads, or oldish, because I've not been on the forums for a while, and reading this has brought a smile on my face.

It's stories like this that make me proud to be a fan of this company sometimes. Seeing an entire family growing up with some truly great games, and then passing on those experiences to their children so that they can as well. Great stuff.

This is something I'm intending to do as well. I grew up with the Master System, as my parents couldn't afford a Mega Drive, and as such I'm probably one of the few people here who didn't experience the Mega Drive first hand for a long, long time. I've never owned the classic Sonic games, instead I had the three that came out in 8-bit. I love all the games I grew up with, and they're actually sat on my laptop for me to enjoy whenever I want ^_^

In short - I like the post I quoted. It's awesome, and one of the best in this thread. Good man.