Best of Megadrive

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Page
Level 8
Level 8

Best of Megadrive

Post by Page »

As you may (or may not!) know, I got a Megadrive for Christmas, along with a MegaCD. Im looking to add to my collection but my knowledge of Megadrive games is really limited to Sonic (yeah I know...) Can anyone suggest some good titles for me? I want:

An RPG
A Shooter
A Platformer (not Sonic or Ristar, Im already hunting for it)

Im looking for great games, not fancy graphics. Games that you have enjoyed or have that 'just one more go' element. The only restriction is that I am looking for stuff thats pretty easy to find, 'Holy Grail' stuff would be nice to know of (please list!) But I'm really after something that can be found on Ebay and for little money.

Perhaps we could think of an 'ultimate' top ten games for the MegaD and sticky it

This is what I have:

Castle of Illusion
Sonic Spinball
Sonic 2
Cyberball
Desert Strike
Ranger X
Super Monaco GP2 (came with the Megadrive, havent tried it yet!)

Thanks in advance!

Page
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

An RPG? oh shit sorry bro... uh Phantasy Star IV is pretty much your best bet.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Yeah, Phantasy star IV is a good shout out. The Shining force games aren't bad either. I love Castlevania on the Mega drive as a good adventure/platformer. Shadowrun is passable on the mega drive too but I have to admit the snes one is much better. Contra Hard corps is a great shooter for the mega drive.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

As this is console related, I'm moving this to the SEGA Gaming forum.

Talmit's Adventure is a good choice for a platformer, love that game ^_^
Sound Reaper
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sound Reaper »

Eternal Champions....both games (the Mega Drive AND Mega CD) as they are both relevant to have for a retro fighting game experience. Ah yes, Shining Force CD is a good choice if you are lucky enough to get your hands on it ;D.
I wasn't going to return until I had something worthwhile to share sooooo....Image
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

As for an RPG, give Landstalker a shot. Landstalker's really cool. Platformer? Rocket Knight Adventure and/or Sparkster. Or if you can find it, Mega Turrican's really awesome. I don't know how hard Mega Turrican is to find though, never looked. All those are for Megadrive. For Mega CD, DEFINITELY try out Lords Of Thunder. It's an amazing shooter. Robo Aleste and Android Assault are both pretty cool too. Alot of people also like Vay for Mega CD. It's an RPG, but a veeery classic style RPG. Think like..Dragon Quest.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
baraka6
Level 6
Level 6

Post by baraka6 »

There are so many megadrive games that varied from awsome, good and ones you wish you never laid eyes on.... depending on price get as many as you can just so youve tried and owned them at some point!!!!

Megadrive was the foundation of my life from 8-14 and i enjoyed every moment!!!

But i would recommend

Galahad
Gain Ground
Streets Of Rage I+II
Toki
Kid Chamellion
Aero The Acrobat
Alien3
Arrow Flash
Batman Returns
Beavis And Butthead
Chakan
ESWAT
Flashback
Ghostbusters
Gods
Golden Axe I,II,III
Home Alone
Mortal Kombat I+II
Street Fighter 2
Cyborg Justice
Robocop VS Terminator

Hell i could go through the entire alphabet lol Just grab what you can, lock yourself in a room for 3 months and good luck lol
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

Dynamite Headdy (platformer) and Gunstar Heroes (run & gun) are two amazing games and still very obtainable, both made by treasure so you cant go wrong.
you can also pick up some mega drive collections for fairly cheap and they normally include Streets of Rage/Golden Axe/Columns.

If you want 'holy grail' then you need to look no further than Snatcher for MegaCD... I sold my soul to get that game but I don't regret it one bit.
Host of ClubSEGA - A show about the arcade scene and SEGA arcade games.
Wednesday at 8pm UK/WET - 9pm CEST- 3pm EST - 12pm PST
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Definitely recommend Shining Force 2 for a RPG, although it's more of a strategic game than your classic turn based RPG's. Really fun when you get into though.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Streets of Rage is a must. Well a must for me. I'm not sure what type of game it is but it's just a great beat-em-up game. I prefer number 3 but you can get which ever.
Golden Axe isn't bad eider but kind of challenging.