Power Rangers, Childish?

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Power Rangers, Childish?

Post by Quills on Wheels »

We must surely all know Power Rangers right?
While listening to some old Power Ranger intros, I remembered the old days I used to watch Power Rangers, and Let me tell you, I watched Power Rangers a Hell of a lot. I remember the old times I used to watch Jungle Fury, Ninja storm, Dino Thunder, SPD, Mystic force and others but I think I watched Mystic Force and Dino Thunder the most.
Anyway, I was quite a fan of Power Rangers, kept watching them untill I was 11 or 12 and Heck, I even had their action figures. One day (A few years ago)I remember talking to somebody and remembered that we started talking about Power Rangers and he said it's a Childish Show. I never had thought about that and I said that no way Power Rangers is a childish show, looking at the violence and some of the monsters. Than he mentioned that the whole thing is puppets and that was when I thought he was right. I mean Pretty much everything in the show are puppets, from the monsters to the megasours.
But still it doesn't add up in my head. I mean surely power rangers is for kids, but is it something to say that 10+ children shouldn't watch it because it's too childish?
What do you think?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

It's a kids show, definitely, but being a kids show doesn't always mean it's childish. A childish show in my view is a show that only a child can appreciate. I'm 18 and can still enjoy an episode of Power Rangers if I'm off work and up early enough on a Saturday morning to catch it. I'm the same with other kid shows like Pokémon, Chucklevision and The Sarah Jane Adventures. I don't think they're childish.

Besides, they weren't puppets they were Japanese guys in monster and giant robot costumes. Super Sentai "for the win" as I believe the hip kids say.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Yeah, sorry I meant Costumes. When your trying to summarize a Persian Conversation into English it's pretty darn easy to miss write something.
tasmwill

Post by tasmwill »

I think that Power Rangers applies to my '15 years old rule'. I follow this rule on the cases:

Consider all you watched/played until you turn 15, and there was a lot of movies, cartoons, tv shows you liked. Some of them, when you watch today you think: "WTF?! How could this be my favourite tv show. What was I thinking, back then?"

Power Rangers goes by this. By the time I watched it was a great TV show, now, if I get this to watch today, I'll feel irritated and notice a lot of plot mistakes or bad acting from the cast. It serves me better on my memory than the real deal. Unless you are on the mood for watching something bad (it happens a lot hehe).

So returning to the main topic, if it is childish? Well, it is, but only for one reason, it is made for children, not for adults. So, of course it is childish. But if you like it, whatever for what the others think, just watch. The important thing is that you are having fun.

For me, the most impressive thing about PR is the length of the tv series and all the spin-offs and the fact that the fighting scenes were the japaneses scenes, they just edited it and put the american actors during the normal scenes.
Page
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Page »

Personally I love Tokkusatsu, (Japanese Costume Character Shows) The American version of the Japanese Super Sentai that became Power Rangers was bloody awful and a million miles from the original. My very favourite is Kamen Rider, (masked rider in the west, again ruined) Kamen Rider Kiva has an amazing story, very enjoyable.

So in answer to your question, yeah Power Rangers is a bit childish,but if you fancy some costumed characterness with a decent story, try Kamen Rider (NOT Masked Rider)

Say what you want about Tokkusatsu, I have heard every single one of the jibes, but I really enjoy the Japanese stuff and get a lot of pleasure form them, so fire away!
tasmwill

Post by tasmwill »

In Brazil Kamen Rider came as Kamen Rider, which sounds way better than Masked Rider in my opinion.

My favourite Tokkusatsu is Jaspion. That's a funny one to watch, even today.
LeeMan00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LeeMan00 »

I think Linkara http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... nkara/hopr did a good job at analyzing the series (thus far). Like him, I stopped watching after a few seasons (Around Wildforce, but I don't recall Lightspeed Rescue at all).
It's thinking...
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

I stopped watching after Power Rangers Zeo. For me, the originals have always been the best, and whilst Zeo was a good series, I lost interest when every series had a different set of Rangers, with new Zords etc etc.

I even watched the mini-series Mighty Morphin' Alien Rangers..that was seriously rubbish.
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

I only watch the first Powers rangers with the green ranger being evil/good and I did really like it. I'm with kaito even though its childish I could watch it again. Under certain circumstances, I can easily watch a hour or two of Jetix on a Saturday morning whilst hung over!
Host of ClubSEGA - A show about the arcade scene and SEGA arcade games.
Wednesday at 8pm UK/WET - 9pm CEST- 3pm EST - 12pm PST
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Just don't even insult the masterpiece that is Chucklevision by comparing it to this shit.
Tic Tac, sir?