Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (Multi-Format)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
Shockerbey
level 11
level 11

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (Multi-Format)

Post by Shockerbey »

Back when the next gen consoles launched they all had a launch marvel title called marvel ultimate alliance. People expected sequel with another kick ass assembly of super heroes and many random places that have come up in the marvel universe. In 2009 the sequel was announced with fan boys going crazy with a rumor floating about that the story would be the civil war (One of marvels most famous storyarcs). With a roster of Heroes that was impressive and a beast of a story line, this game could have been brilliant. Note the could

Visuals- The visuals on the Xbox 360/PS3 were absolutely incredible from a destroyed Washington to a Gas plant explosion, each and every background was incredible. Character models had an alarming amount of detail in both their normal costumes and alternates, even just at a glance you can see a lot of care went into them. But the highlight of the visual has got to be when the heroes "Fuse" their powers into a single attack (eg Thor creating a tornado and Human Torch lighting it on fire). Some are Awe inspiring while some make you think "How the hell can running around be considered a fusion ) which does kinda knock the fun factor out of it but i digress

Now, this visuals bit for the wii is gonna sound like a broken record but they are dismal. Now i was a wii man all the way but this game pushed me over the edge, instead of wanting something that will blow your mind out your nose (like the other consoles) wii makes the game look ugly with visuals actually taking a step backwards from before. Fusion is Ok but nowhere near as impressive as before. The wii visuals makes you feel that all the effort went somewhere else (Three guesses where)

Story- As mentioned above in the opening, the story was based of the Marvel Civil War which involved Captain America leading a bunch of super Heroes who dont want their secret identities revealed against Iron Mans team who agree after the death of 600 civis. The story remains the same on both platforms with the Xbox360/PS3 one lasting a bit longer, BUT the wii version sticks closer the the actual story arc. But to be honest the story arc promise is a lie. You enact the civil war for a couple of missions ~(3 on 360 and 2 on Wii) with the majority focusing on a new story. The fact that they fail to even stay close to the story is a major kick in the teeth with the main plot twist at the end being omitted completely with a shocking death thats not even hinted.

Sound- Each character has their own dialogues with other characters. Fun to read but would have been better to hear them. There are a few points where your chosen hero will speak where the voice acting is brilliant with some great character lines. If you play through this game i will recommend playing it with Deadpool. Some of his lines are nothing short of epic especially when he fights himself or threatens the game developers during the credits but he is worth a playthrough. Soundtrack is catchy but nothing special with it reflecting where your playing (Africa - Bongo esqe music). However, in marvel arcs only deadpool breaks the fourth wall (invisible wall separating the cast from the audience (yes i am an actor) while on the wii nearly every character doing it and to a more annoying factor as well (torch going Heeeeyy player dont get me killed now)

Gameplay- Easy to pick up and play with anyone from the start but throw them in after act 1 then they may struggle. Fusion is easy to grasp and master within the first act with each player having their own preference of fusion (Mine is clothesline). Wii controls are a wee bit harder (PUN) to grasp with fusion and revival being a pain but wii gameplay is alot harder with stronger bosses, soldiers and the odd puzzle that can be tricky (light puzzle)

Scores
Gonna do this the way i did my old reviews with a break down of scores and then a final

X360/PS3
Visuals 5- Nothing short than brilliant. Major step up from the first with even DLC characters fitting in well
Story- 2 Big marvel fan and was happy enough to hear civil war was here but then it wasn't
Sound 4- Was initally going to be a 3 but deadpools lines are worth that extra point
Gameplay 3.5- Nothing special really
Overall 3.5- Unless your are marvel fan you won't catch the lie and it'll be an ok gaming experience

Wii
Visuals- Minus 2- The words i want to use will get me banned so lets leave it at that
Story-3 Slightly better than the other consoles but still lacking
Gameplay- 3 Bit over complicated and no where near as easy to build a fusion as the other consoles
Overall 1- Same faults as above but the visuals are woeful. The one mark is for Cyclops, Blade and Psylocke being exclusive but minus 1 for wiis handicap on DLC

Thats one long review but hopefully the first of many (As long as its approved)
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

Edited the title, as RadioSEGA Reviews are only for the Review Team and Staff Members.

But besides that, swell review. :P
I live here now!
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Good review, but isn't the point about DLC on 360/PS3 kinda redundant now, seeing as it was removed from XBLA and PSN at the end of last year?