Sonic Relief 2011 - Songs for Sonic 2

Post here about events relating to SEGA.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Sonic Relief 2011 - Songs for Sonic 2

Post by Gavvie »

It's about time we start to advertise this event, seeing as it officially starts on Friday 28th January. And as you may have guessed from the topic title, I'm getting in on the act again.

If you can remember as far back as last year, you might recall that I, under my Living Sedative moniker, released an album of MidiMix'd tunes, called Songs for Sonic. Yes, people cottoned on quite early that the tracks were just MIDI songs with different instruments, and that was something I'd never hidden from. And yes, there were problems with the sound quality, something that was fixed with the Sonic Wrecks exclusive Super Sonic Edition (which should be uploaded very, very soon). Either way, the original Songs for Sonic raised a HUGE £100 for Sonic Relief 2010, and that money went to Sport Relief.

This year, Sonic Relief is back, raising money for Comic Relief. Songs for Sonic has also seen a couple of major changes:

1 - No more MIDIs. All the tunes in this album are 100% original.
2 - It's not just me making the music, and (the most important one)
3 - Songs for Sonic 2 is the OFFICIAL Sonic Relief album!

You see, when thinking about how Songs for Sonic 2 should be approached, the original idea was to follow the same schematic as last year, only this time using keyboard tabs and tracking it myself. I was also going to take level suggestions from you guys. However, I soon stumbled onto another, better idea.

Songs for Sonic 2 is the soundtrack to a brand new Sonic game! This game has never, and will never, been released, but the soundtrack itself "leaked". Like Sonic CD and Sonic 3D before it, this unreleased Sonic game had two different soundtracks, composed by two very different composers. The Official Soundtrack would feature both soundtracks over 2 discs:

Disc 1 - The composer of the original Songs for Sonic album: Living Sedative
Disc 2 - The artist responsible for the brilliant remix albums Act 1, Slammer 3D and Act 2. He's also responsible for the current Saturday Night SEGA theme tune: Mr Stream

Each Soundtrack consists of the same 12 tracks, which you can see below. Whilst Sonic Relief 2011 starts in January, Songs for Sonic 2 will be seeing release a couple of weeks after that. We'll disclose release information as soon as it's available.

Obviously, as it's a charity album, all money will be donated to Sonic Relief. We're undecided as to whether this album should be offered as a free download, but as it's completely original work we might ask for a compulsory donation of at least £1. Of course, you can pay more if you'd like - again, the money goes to charity.

Finally, the target I'd like to set: With SFS1 making £100, the obvious progression is to make more than that. £200 would be amazing, but I'll settle for £150 ^_^ No pressure!

OK, so here you go - The tracklisting:
Songs for Sonic 2
1 - Title Theme
2 - Golden Beach Zone
3 - Midnight Highway Zone
4 - Pinball Palace Zone
5 - Oceanic Retreat Zone
6 - Icy Glacier Zone
7 - Dread Base Zone
8 - Egg Matrix Zone
9 - Credits
10 - Dr. Robotnik Boss: Stage
11 - Dr. Robotnik Boss: Final
12 - Special Stage

--

Feel free to discuss this album in this topic - Whether you're looking forward to hearing it, or just letting people know you've bought it when it's available. Thanks for reading :D
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Looking forward to hearing it! I wasn't around when Sonic Relief was on last time, so I'm hoping to make extra effort to take part and donate this year. I'm working on that day, so I have no excuse to donate something ;)
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Well, Sonic Relief starts in January, but it doesn't end until March, so you've got plenty of time to do something.
TailsThePrower71
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TailsThePrower71 »

I bought SFS last year. I'll be buying SFS this
TailsThePrower71
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TailsThePrower71 »

I bought SFS last year. I'll buy it again this year for sure!!!
ResidentSD
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by ResidentSD »

So, what with these being two different soundtracks for one game, I think foreversonic has got a theme for a future SEGA AGES Battle Royale - it's Songs for Sonic 2 vs Songs for Sonic 2!

Seriously though, it's for a great cause and I hope the RS crew gives generously. I'm sure the album will be a great one.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

This is great. So you're making the music Gavvie?
But what about Oil ocean zone?
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

It's music for a non-existent Sonic game, it dosn't have Oil Ocean :P

I agree with SD though, sounds like a good idea for a future show, maybe we could even use that show as a fund raiser?

Speaking of fund raising, Page, foreversonic and myself were talking about ideas to raise money for RS to help pay for the site, etc, a few weeks ago, and we had this idea about doing a charity show where people had to make 'bid' requests. I'm sure people would pay to hear some awful songs on RS like Hatsune Miku, and Gavvie would be willing to make the sacrifice that night for charity? ^_^

A Sonic Relief special show would be really cool. It would be nice if SSR, SonicWrecks and RadioSEGA teamed up for a special Sonic Relief weekend or something, might be worth suggesting?
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

That fund raising show sounds an excellent idea. I'd happily play crap if other people are paying for it.